Any advice for purchase of E class 350 cdi b/e?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donubenz

Car
w211 r230
Thinking about a change in the near future and replacing my 221 320 CDI as we are now covering 25K miles a year with it.
Looking at 2009 onwards £20 to £25K ish.
Anything to look out for or essential to have? Anyone have one to pass on their experience,
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Don

I'd say get happy with the ride and road noise - seemingly not many non sport models on the used market and you may find the sport suspension setup communicates too much information about the road surface after an S class.

Also you will be aware that from about late 2010/2011 the power rating and stated fuel economy increased and they started fitting the 7g+ gearbox.

Very happy with mine though :thumb:

Hi Thanks for the info, my current car is an e class 211 (typo error). Have just read a thread on here regarding noisy engines, poor mpg and sluggish power in C drive so will not be looking for this model now!

Stick with the 211, a much nicer car imho. I swapped to a 212 e350cdi and regretted it straight away.

At least get a facelift 212, the 2010 I had did between 26-39mpg, my old 211 e320 did between 33-48mph doing the same runs.

Worse mpg, worse interior quality, worse driving position and think it is dating badly design wise as well compared with the 211.

I can't give opinion vs W211 , but I currently have facelift W212 ( 268bhp) - I average 43mpg, but on motorway runs I am gettng 49mpg -

Great ride, and comfortable seats - but I have Avantgarde not Sport - didn't want sport seats

Harman Kardon upgrade is fantastic if you like your music

very happy with mine - best car I've ever had - 30,000 faultless miles - smooth and refined at cruising speeds and rocketship when you floor it

Only niggle is delay in power when you ask it to really go - foot to the floor and you wait for a short while, feel the gearbox drop 2 gears and whoosh.

donubenz said:
Hi Thanks for the info, my current car is an e class 211 (typo error). Have just read a thread on here regarding noisy engines, poor mpg and sluggish power in C drive so will not be looking for this model now!

I'd be tempted to drive one before ruling it out as I don't think that's the unanimous verdict. Certainly never noticed the engine being noisy.

I'd be tempted to drive one before ruling it out as I don't think that's the unanimous verdict. Certainly never noticed the engine being noisy.

Absolutely (BigSilver).

You can't make a significant purchase decision based upon a few forum comments, particularly about elements that are so variable/subjective, such as tyre noise/mpg etc.

Go for a drive and form an opinion :thumb:.

I should add, there are loads and loads around, so you'll be able to pick a spec that suits you.

Last edited:
I didn't have a problem with engine noise, I did however have a problem with the noise in the back, mine was an estate, it was really noisy, compared with the W211, BMW 535 I had before and the 335i I had before that.

I also had terrible tyre noise, but it had Continental Sport Contacts on and they are always noisy compared with Pilot Sport 2's which I normally use.

My main gripe was driving position, just couldn't get comfy like I would expect to.
Cluster too high for the steering wheel so to be able to see the speedo etc. I had to have the wheel up and away from me, meaning I got tired after an hour or two, had to hold the bottom of the wheel, not ideal.
if the seats dropped a bit lower at the back/bum it would help, and be a better seat all round too.
But then I wear a 62cm sleeve length on a shirt was as most would be 64cm, this probably makes a difference.*

I then had an issue with the steering, that stupid set up where is tightens the more lock you put on, hated it and found it almost dangerous on a couple of occasions, long fast sweeping corner on an Autoroute that got tighter as it went on made it really hard to judge how much to turn the wheel, the wheel turning angle got tighter at a different rate to the curve of the road, if that makes sense? Very weird and very dangerous.
Also, round big roundabouts it meant having to move the wheel far too much, isntead of between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock it was 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock, again unnecessary and defeating the poiunt of 'making it easier'. It was a chore. *

What is wrong for one person can be perfect for the next, so you need to try it, but get it on a days loan.

**These have both been rectified in the 2013 facelift E class after numerous complaints apparently.

I also had terrible tyre noise, but it had Continental Sport Contacts on and they are always noisy compared with Pilot Sport 2's which I normally use.

Me too - I rated the SC3's but was always disappointed with the rear tyre noise which I assumed was more estate than tyre - then I fitted Eagle F1 Assymetric - much quieter.

They got really noisy after about 3000 miles and just got louder and louder.
The 212 estate amplifies the noise far more than the 211 as well, not sure why.

Hi Guys,
thanks for all your responses, I will try a test drive. However, what really put me off was this thread
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/77050-blue-efficiency-injector-recall.html?highlight=350+cdi

1200 posts and nearly 150,000 views so not really a "few forum comments"!
This is exactly the year range I was contemplating and who wants trouble. One local guy even returned his car after a year after having it back at the dealers every month for over a year.I am not a fan of the V6 motor anyway after reading of Steve's troubles ***, but I do like a bit of power and large diesel engine Mercedes all are now of this V format design.Still with so many on the road they can't all be bad.
I would really like to stay with MB as I have driven them for 20 years after 10 with BMW. I may have to consider BMW again but now no great knowledge of their issues if any.
Time for some google research I think.
Don

***'s car was a very early V6/7g - c2005/6.

I wouldn't worry about that example. He hated and wrote about his 7g box so much that it was easy to be drawn into thinking they were a disaster, however, MB have made more than 12 million of them, mated to V6 engines and fitted them to a wide range of cars, all over the planet.

Forums offer a very very condensed view of the world.

Last edited:
BMW 530d sport is a much, much better car.

More focused, more comfy and feel a lot more premium too.

We bought a 2010 F11 5 series and I didn't like it, but after having the E350cdi realised that the BMW was actually very, very good, just not as sharp as the 535d I had before.
But it did do everything better than the E Class other than rear load space.
Should have kept it.

The old man has been in a 530d GT for the last 2 years, now that is a serious piece of kit.
7 series with a useable load space and slightly raise ride height.
Sublime interior.
Handling is just unreal, he has all the adaptive gubbins, so you have comfort (7 series like) Sport (which is like a 5 series M-Sport) and Sport+ which just sharpens the throttle up and takes away some of the nannying electronics.
A fabulous car that can be had for peanuts, better than the 5 series and sharper than the 7 series.
However, looks are not to everyones tastes.

This is not his but looks exactly the same..
BMW%205GT%20Black.jpg

Definitely try one, and one without run flats if you can, they ruin it.

Thinking about a change in the near future and replacing my 221 320 CDI as we are now covering 25K miles a year with it.
Looking at 2009 onwards £20 to £25K ish.
Anything to look out for or essential to have? Anyone have one to pass on their experience,
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Don
Hi,i've just posted a review of mine after 3 months/2,400 miles-hope it helps you decide!

Cant comment on early 212 350's as mines the last of them-no noisy engine(ok a slight rattle for a few minutes when cold,nothing when warm/cruising),mpg great for a 3ltr v6(i average 36mpg brim to brim) & the only slugishness in comfort(or sport mode) is turbo lag when you floor it-as for the injector issues,again go for a late model as i don't think it affects 2011 on v6 although i'm sure someone will confirm for sure one way or the other,don't be put off by a few negative reviews/posts they are great cars,good luck!

And that's good?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn50/dontr6/Iphone049.jpg

Trip from London last September 2003 W211 in line 6 engine.
My 20,000 mile average is 39+mpg after car has done 140K miles from new. I often get 45+mpg on long runs.
Remember I am not buying new but around 2009, 2010 for the budget I am looking at.
Don
With my car having only covered 2,400 miles the mpg will only get better with miles so i would expect to match or better the 39mpg you've quoted above which i'm more than happy with!

And that's good?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn50/dontr6/Iphone049.jpg

Trip from London last September 2003 W211 in line 6 engine.
My 20,000 mile average is 39+mpg after car has done 140K miles from new. I often get 45+mpg on long runs.
I can get my 350CDI W212 to show 52+ mpg on the trip computer, but the real brim-to-brim is always 10-12% less than the trip. Over 23,000 miles from new it's averaged 37.84mpg on a total miles / total litres filled basis. Winter hurts the average quite badly, and by the end of the summer it will have increased. Remember also that your W211 isn't delivering 265bhp...
Remember I am not buying new but around 2009, 2010 for the budget I am looking at.
Don
Apart from *** who has a pathological and largely irrational hatred of the 7g 'box, and gIzzE who couldn't get comfy in his W212, I think you'll find that they're quite well liked by their owners.

The Avantgarde (imo) represents the best compromise of ride quality, handling and equipment. You can also get an interior that isn't black. They cost less than the Sport but are harder to find used as they're comparatively rare. The 2011-on cars with 265bhp and the 7g+ 'box are noticeably livlier to drive than earlier cars and cost less in VED too (£175 / yr for the Avantgarde). I'd look for a car with COMAND and Media Interface, and I personally reckon that the HK system is a worthwhile upgrade but as it's rare that narrows the field further.

Even at MB Main Dealer prices you'll get a 2011 car with sub-15k miles and COMAND for less then the £25k top end of your budget if you go for an Avantgarde model.

Apart from *** who has a pathological and largely irrational hatred of the 7g 'box, and gIzzE who couldn't get comfy in his W212, I think you'll find that they're quite well liked by their owners.

Don't get me wrong, I like the E Class, a lot. Just not as nice as the previous model.
However, I am going to try the new model, if the dealer ever gets back to me.

The contract hire deal at £310 a month for an E220cdi SE estate doing 20k miles a year is too good to miss.
And if the two main niggles have been sorted, seating position and steering, it is a near on perfect family load lugger.

I sold my lovely E320cdi Brabus tuned estate for £12000 or thereabouts, and then spending all that money on the E350 I wanted it to be better in every respect, it simply wasn't.
If I had gone from a C Class to the E350 I would probably wonder how anything could be better.

So don't read too much into views on a forum, we like to moan. ;)

I do think the 530d M-Sport is one of the finest all round cars ever made though.
Oh, and with a facelift about to hit (minor changes) they are doing serious discounts on new. Was just offered £13500 off a new one from stock through Lombard 10 minutes ago. Not sure if that is open to everyone but shows how much wiggle room there is!

BMW 530d sport is a much, much better car.

More focused, more comfy and feel a lot more premium too.

We bought a 2010 F11 5 series and I didn't like it, but after having the E350cdi realised that the BMW was actually very, very good, just not as sharp as the 535d I had before.
But it did do everything better than the E Class other than rear load space.
Should have kept it.

The old man has been in a 530d GT for the last 2 years, now that is a serious piece of kit.
7 series with a useable load space and slightly raise ride height.
Sublime interior.
Handling is just unreal, he has all the adaptive gubbins, so you have comfort (7 series like) Sport (which is like a 5 series M-Sport) and Sport+ which just sharpens the throttle up and takes away some of the nannying electronics.
A fabulous car that can be had for peanuts, better than the 5 series and sharper than the 7 series.
However, looks are not to everyones tastes.

This is not his but looks exactly the same..
BMW%205GT%20Black.jpg

Definitely try one, and one without run flats if you can, they ruin it.

I thought run flats were OE? This means you are hardly going to find a car without them surely? That aside, hard to believe that BMW would spend gazillions on developing a car and then er put square wheels on it. The best tyres are going to be the ones the car came with since, within a level of tolerance, springs, shocks, ride height, track etc. etc. has been set up around that tyre selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom