Any advice on working in the Ukraine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

Does anyone have any advice on working in the Ukraine? I have the option of taking 2 years on a contract with approx 3 times my current take home pay per year. I would work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off with another chap with the 2 weeks off spent at home with the wife and kids.

I have no idea where it is other than the East of Europe i have no idea of culture etc etc etc and any advice would be appreciated.

Am i mad even thinking about it??

Last edited:
You are not mad.

I'm looking at doing something similar but somewhere a bit hotter.

Your "on paper" salary can be lower than home but because you are tax free with certain agencies you actually come out earning a lot more.

Go for it!

Regards,

KJ

Not at Chernobyl is it?..

As an indication of how little i know about the country i didnt even know Chernobyl was in the Ukraine.

The town is Kamenets-Podilsky and i have checked its about 450km from Chernobyl. Is that far enough away?? Knew there had to be a reason for the money to be good.

Thanks,

You are not mad.

I'm looking at doing something similar but somewhere a bit hotter.

Your "on paper" salary can be lower than home but because you are tax free with certain agencies you actually come out earning a lot more.

Go for it!

Regards,

KJ

I thought All money is taxed when you bring it into England? I do not mean cash in hand but money earned abroad then decleared on your tax return.

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on working in the Ukraine? I have the option of taking 2 years on a contract with approx 3 times my current take home pay per year. I would work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off with another chap with the 2 weeks off spent at home with the wife and kids.

I have no idea where it is other than the East of Europe i have no idea of culture etc etc etc and any advice would be appreciated.

Do they want anybody else? I'd do it in a heartbeat! Seriously! Plant 2 x salary in a pension. :bannana:

What line of work are we talking about? (if that is not too nosy a question)

Do they want anybody else? I'd do it in a heartbeat! Seriously! Plant 2 x salary in a pension. :bannana:

What line of work are we talking about? (if that is not too nosy a question)
Someone find him a job ............................. pleeeeease :D:devil:

Isn't the country on the brink of civil war?

Paul McCartney did a concert there last week - the President was almost begging the people to be as happy as they were during the concert on 'normal' days

Hello

Many moons ago I worked for a company that had clothes made out in Ukraine. The drivers who turned up depending where about in Ukraine they were delivering to use to raise an eyebrow, when asked apparently the women are quite nice... :)

As good as the weather might be in summer isn't it freezing freezing in winter?

this looks ok?

http://www.tryukraine.com/info/weather.shtml

Not sure I would do it with a family, maybe as a single bloke. Just my view, time you cannot get back and thats worth more than money.

Good luck if you decide though.

Hi

It is the thought of work for 2 weeks home for 2 weeks that is floating my boat. I would probably see more of my family than i do at the minute. Hard decision to make with 5 kids in the house from 9yrs old to 9 months old.

My wife comes from Kiev and I'm fairly sure i recognize the name of that place you mentioned (not Chernobyl :rolleyes: ) and don't recall it being a bad place to be.

Business kinda takes longer, you will find that not many people are prepared to sit down at a table and get right down to work they prefer to get to know a person first and can talk for ages about family or evening plans, it's quite clever really because they use it as a way to form a friendship (vital if your to do business) but also to get inside your mind kinda like an interview but without any of the formality and if you attempt to brush it off and not get involved thats considered very rude.

They look at the big picture first and will know exactly what they want before ever thinking about details, being told "this is what we want, what do you propose" is not an uncommon question and you must consider your answer carefully, compromises hardly ever happen and are almost considered a sign of weakness so they will quite happily give you a flat out "No!" instead of a let me think about it answer you might get over here.

Your bound to be invited to dinner often and its not polite to refuse (not that you'd need to cause the food is great), you will probably be expected to make a toast and "Budmo!" will do the job nicely.

Its probably more fun than trying to work over here, unless your on a tight schedule

Last edited:
Hi

I am going out next week for a nosey for a week or even 2 if i think its gonna suit me then that will be my 1st 2 weeks done!!!

Hi

How does your wife feel about spending 2 weeks with the other chap?

Me or her LOL

Glad of the wit, thanks.

Job would be simple. Today you see a picture- tomorrow person must be on the other world (if any).

;)

Salary will be very good but some tasks hard to accomplish due to high possibility of backfire ;)

Cheers
Chris.

I thought All money is taxed when you bring it into England? I do not mean cash in hand but money earned abroad then decleared on your tax return.

When I was on a 2 year secondment in France I had to select which county I paid my taxes in. Within the EU there is a system of not having double taxation thankfully, but equally you must pay the tax of at least 1 country.
I believe something similar is setup with other HMRC nominated countries, with rules in places such as the number of days you can visit and work back in the UK in any one tax year. Each year I had to submit both a UK and French tax self assessment, with the UK form effectively being a nil return, declaring I paid full French taxes.

But don't take my advice :) speak to an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom