Any Architects on here? Advice possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Is this possible do you think?

95BB76B1-AC0E-47E7-BFB6-9D746F3A0FF2.jpeg 3C1B7D25-F41D-4DB3-BC6D-4419A743394A.jpeg

Pretty much everything’s possible if you chuck enough money at it..

Cheers,

Gaz

Thankyou kind peeps for the swift replies, My concern would be planning as the other side of that hedge is a Boarded up house the same size as the existing one in the bottom pic.

I'm terrible with Technology so please excuse the amateur attempt of the drawing.

We're thinking of moving and other options, The above is one of them lol

Why not have this conversation with your local planning department? Would be surprised if they were not prepared give you an indication of wether or not they would be likely to give Planning Permission or if there are going to be any major issues.

Why not have this conversation with your local planning department? Would be surprised if they were not prepared give you an indication of wether or not they would be likely to give Planning Permission or if there are going to be any major issues.

Yes i think this would be the next step Sir, I was eating my tea this evening and the above idea of the development just came into my mind :D

Well it is detached and so the size of the extension is not a problem you will not need planning but will need building regs,the side of your proposed extension must be 1 meter from your side boundary ,I suggest that the extension roof will have to be different,possible a slope front and back breaking into the exisiting roof,find yourself a decent architect,as it is a local property do not use the one in Dovercourt,my other suggestion is that when you get the plans drawn up pick Shore to do the building control they are more expensive by about £150 than the council building inspector but he is a local and a tree nut with the amount of trees on your boundary he will have you digging to OZ.

e6cc74f28118f3efd352ddd458a28c38.jpg
efc78080c2f60e2a70f33f2ae073fb8a.jpg
13e61ec6bd53f352e84f5d1c01a34ba4.jpg

Yours looks a similar age property to mine, I came up with this, we wanted a vaulted ceiling in the extension...I’ll dig out a photo of the front if you’re interested or let me know if you have any other questions about what we did.
I’m not an architect, have just spend a looooong time drawing stuff lol
I don’t do domestic extensions as Mr and Mrs Public are generally a pain the r”s. We CAD up mainly commercial premises (M&E fit outs) but I personally have also drawn up 1000’s of retirement flats for 2 of the leading developers so I think I have an understanding of what “works”.
We had a few ideas knocked around with an architect but they like to spend money you don’t have (see any Grand Designs episode) so it pays to be realistic. We also spent a year living here to determine how we’d actually use the rooms etc then another 6 months probably designing everything and researching materials, especially cladding and kitchens :)
Your roof looks a bit odd to me. There’s a few Asymmetric roof examples you could find on a google search which might look a bit better but it’s your house and if you like it then fair play.:)

Rubbish one of the front but you should get the drift

692b4cab884c50d9f9f12634c4fc2b77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well it is detached and so the size of the extension is not a problem you will not need planning but will need building regs,the side of your proposed extension must be 1 meter from your side boundary ,I suggest that the extension roof will have to be different,possible a slope front and back breaking into the exisiting roof,find yourself a decent architect,as it is a local property do not use the one in Dovercourt,my other suggestion is that when you get the plans drawn up pick Shore to do the building control they are more expensive by about £150 than the council building inspector but he is a local and a tree nut with the amount of trees on your boundary he will have you digging to OZ.

Some good points made but planning approval will certainly be required.

You may well need planning as the rules keep changing on permitted development so it’s worth checking before building anything.
We had a few “issues” with our non conventional roof, the planning officer didn’t like it and wanted us to do something boring and 1970’s. Once she realised we’d just go to appeal and win we were assigned a new officer and it passed fine...amazing that eh?
Some planning officers are a bit conservative and there are some right dodgy extensions round here which I pointed out to them that they’d passed already so “good design” is a bit subjective.

Well the proposed drawing that Gavin has offered up,only means a planning submission if it is over 4 metres in height and looking at it I suppose it will be,apart from that he is not building in front he seems to have far more than 1 metre from the boundary,I suggest you use all the width you can.

Well the proposed drawing that Gavin has offered up,only means a planning submission if it is over 4 metres in height and looking at it I suppose it will be,apart from that he is not building in front he seems to have far more than 1 metre from the boundary,I suggest you use all the width you can.
What about the street view?

yes, under 4m. However, unless Gavs family are wee people a 2 story extension will more than exceed 4m. (Average of 5m from DPC to wallplate plus the roof section. (2@ 2.4m + 200mm for chamber joists))

The Front of the House is about 10 Meters from the pavement, But im concerned how close i can get to the tree line in the image.

Any interesting trees or TPO’s in place?
What’s the likelihood that roots might damage your construction a few years down the line?
Can you ahemmm, kill anything off now?

They are a Conifer type , The Owner is going to clear them i believe anyway but certainly something to bare in mind thankyou :)

...but he is a local and a tree nut with the amount of trees on your boundary he will have you digging to OZ.
That tickled me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom