Any boat owners on board?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ribs are a lot of fun - but you'll get very wet!

Phil

I used to have one of these

imagegd_big_inside.php

Emptied my wallet almost faster than it emptied the fuel tank!

Did that have a 5.0L MerCruiser in it?

Did that have a 5.0L MerCruiser in it?

From memory it was a 5.0 litrish V8 OMC. It made a very nice noise.

It was also a pig to pull out of the water with a 1.8 Laguna. I remember well one occasion, when the clutch had got a bit hot... Few minutes later head of the office drove past me. Pretended that the burning smell was nothing to do with my new company car with a 20ft boat on the back.

Last edited:
:D

Looking at Volvo Penta 4.3 V6s which don't seem too bad and give ~190hp.

How usable was the cabin? Would you want to sleep in it overnight?

It was tight, and to be honest it was a bit manky. But it was quite an old boat, which had been owned by a boat engineer. Engine was lovely (mostly), cabin was in need of TLC which due to a change of plan it did not get.

Size wise it would have been perfectly ok for sleeping. Would not want to have done much more than that in it, and you would need to be open minded as the chemical loo lived just under the front of the bed.

I preferred a cheap hotel or B&B in reality. To a degree of course it just depends on how many beers you need before it becomes alright. I reckon a 4/5 pinter!

The first RIBs were designed and built in Atlantic College as inshore rescue boats. Had a trip out on one before we bought our first Avon Searider for rescue work in the Loughor estuary back in the sixties.

My understanding was always a bit higher. But I can't remember how or why other than I preferred their appearance.

They're all pretty much the same it seems - caravans for the water!

Insurance quote for one wasn't as bad as I thought - £250 comp with £3M liability.

I had a Cigarette 50' Marauder with triple Mercury Racing 1075HP engines until this morning when I woke up.

Well we can all dream can't we.:D

Forget the cabin: despite what the BH may think. Many many years spent trying to get a decent/comfortable nights sleep on a small, (and sometimes not so small) boat tells me that you are on a hiding to nothing. Forget the romance and the dreams and the adverts. When it comes to checking moorings/creaking fenders/damp bedding/toilet needs/parking the thing when you're not there, ad infinitum, you'll be much better off with a RIB. They're also better sea-boats than a hard hull if you get caught out -the RNLI aren't daft- but why would you want to go out in bad weather anyway? Great fun for five minutes....then what?

Believe me. I spent my working life doing it.

It will mainly be a fair weather day boat - sleeping on it in a harbour would be an emergency!

The cabin would be handy if it rains - as would a bimini or additional canvas cockpit cover - there's also a toilet which a RIB doesn't have. I don't mind hanging over the side but the BH may not appreciate having to do that!

RIB is far more practical I know.. might be better to just charter one as and when.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom