Any boiler experts out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
Thought I would ask here first as someone on here usually knows the answer.

My combi boiler is constantly making a noise as if something is still running.
It sound like a fan or a pump. The heating is obviously off and there are no leaks or anything.

The daft thing is I can't power it off so it goes on all night long and I can't get any sleep. :mad::wallbash:

Any ideas anyone?

Portzy is usually the man when it comes to these matters :)

Last edited:
It could be the scavenge fan which runs all the time (at a lower speed when just the pilot is lit) to remove the fumes through the flue.
It may only be noticable to you now because the fan is getting a little tired/worn and the bearings are noisy.
Thats what mine does,anyway!

If you cannot power it off using the conventional method ie via the clock then chances are its the pump over-run, if of course it is the pump that you are hearing. Try turning off the fused spur and if all goes quiet then it likely to be the pump over-run thermostat.

Fan? could be but it would need to be getting a live from the circuit board(s) somehow and if the clock is off this is doubtfull. Some combi boilers do have a small amount of internal DHW storage so it may also be the boiler toping up this type of thing but if you have never experienced this before then thats also unlikely.

Pump over-run system I'd say;).

Portzy.

Thought I would ask here first as someone on here usually knows the answer.

My combi boiler is constantly making a noise as if something is still running.
It sound like a fan or a pump. The heating is obviously off and there are no leaks or anything.

The daft thing is I can't power it off so it goes on all night long and I can't get any sleep. :mad::wallbash:

Any ideas anyone?

Ring John Burns he is in abbeymead and is Corgi registered he fitted a boiler in a rental property for me a few yeas back and has mended our boiler twice. his mobile number is 07976268078.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

A trawl of the web seems to agree with Portzy's pump overrun theory although no sign of a fused spur.

As you can see I am wide awake so it is time to get a 'man' in.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nibbo, out of curiosity, do you get a slow flashing light on the front panel lamps?

Oh and if you are concerned about your mains wiring, don't call Worcester Bosch out cos they will bitch about wiring regs....

Linky to WB guides

Discontinued gas boiler literature - Worcester, Bosch Group UK installer site

There are two lights on the front. Standby and Demand. The Standby Light is permenantly on not flashing.

Thanks for the link; I have been looking everywhere for a technical guide.

Last edited:
Only two weeks ago I had a similar problem with my Worcester-Bosch 18Ri. Even though the control clock was switched-off, the boiler kept running (at low level). The problem was a stuck diverter valve.

Only two weeks ago I had a similar problem with my Worcester-Bosch 18Ri. Even though the control clock was switched-off, the boiler kept running (at low level). The problem was a stuck diverter valve.

Thanks spinaltap; what size hammer should I hit it with to make it stop?
:wallbash:

My boiler keeps switching of the pilot, red light comes on & i have to reset it to get hot water! any idea's? its a BAXI

Thanks spinaltap; what size hammer should I hit it with to make it stop?
:wallbash:

Unfortunately, it's an electro/mechanical device that's wired into the whole system and that will need replacing by a competent electrician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom