Any boiler experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
We have a Vailant combi boiler which has been working well ever since we bought our new house last year...

I had it serviced 2 months ago to make sure its in tip-top condition and the technician said it is so...

Recenlty the water has not been hot enough.. certainly not like before... it's turned up to maximum setting..

Previously if you turn the shower all the way to hot.. it will be scaldingly hot.. however now this is no longer the case... I am getting warm water on max setting, which will go Luke warm and then return etc.. meaning it is very difficult to shower.. (we like hot showers lol)

Thankfully our second bathroom has an electric shower.. however I would like the boiler to work properly...

Has anyone got any ideas?

Abs

Could be many different things I’m afraid. Really need to get a heating engineer out. The boiler equivalent of get on star.

Sounds like the boiler thermostat is faulty. You need an boiler engineer to take a look.

Thanks chaps. time to open up the wallet then :(

Has it only just did this or been like this since service?

The engineer may have backed of the internal trim pot (if it has one) for the max water temperature so that even on maximum you can't scold yourself.

Has it only just did this or been like this since service?

The engineer may have backed of the internal trim pot (if it has one) for the max water temperature so that even on maximum you can't scold yourself.

Thanks but It's only just been like this. Was fine for ages after the service.

Abs

I'd say the diverter valve and port motor need checking out.
Will probably have to pay £60 just to have it looked at, and then parts + labour on top. Not looking forward to it

That's where a service care plan can be good value, think mine has a £60 excess but all parts are covered.

... I am getting warm water on max setting, which will go Luke warm and then return etc.. meaning it is very difficult to shower.. (we like hot showers lol)

It could be a few things but that's the classic sign of the hot water heat exchanger being partially blocked.

Vaillant's are quite sensitive to the system being clean. Do you have a magnetic filter?

If hot water at all other outlets is good/normal temperature I'd be looking at thermostatic shower valve as a111r suggests.

PM me for phone number if you need/want a chat on the phone mate. :thumb:

If hot water at all other outlets is good/normal temperature I'd be looking at thermostatic shower valve as a111r suggests.

PM me for phone number if you need/want a chat on the phone mate. :thumb:

Hi Ant,

That's so kind of you mate. It's an issue across all the taps so I think it's the boiler :(
On an unrelated note about you considering an Audi, I did have a sneak peak on the configurator today and specd up a tasty A6 avant :) which one are you looking at

Abs

It could be a few things but that's the classic sign of the hot water heat exchanger being partially blocked.

Vaillant's are quite sensitive to the system being clean. Do you have a magnetic filter?

I asked the guy about that.. I mentioned a relative had a 'magnatec filter' his reply was... just wait for boiler to break and I'll fit you a new one... which was rather worrying!!!!!!

2 more tips:

1. turn the CH off on the controller.
Run a bath and see if the rads get slightly warm. If they do, it can only be the diverter valve.

2. Phone Vailant and see if they do a 'fixed price' call out and repair. When my current boiler failed (can't remember which make), a plumber I consulted recommended this route.
I expect they'll all offer the same sort of service. Mine was £199. A new board was needed.

Also look at BG for their call-out options, especially if you think the required part may be expensive. I know it was worthwhile with our old Baxi boiler!

Don't be mad Darrell. Join in, it's a forum. :thumb:
Sod that, I’m watching a mental doc on Channel 4 about Sgt Peppars. Howard Goodall is a superstar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom