Any bought a new Number Plate with badges on it for European driving ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
I need new plates on both cars .
The new regs (post Brexit ) say that a Union Jack and the “GB” country identifier will get round the need to have another GB sticker on the car . That’s what I’m aiming for .
Some of the sites seem to have different pics of the layout of the Union Flag and GB sticker .
Anyone bought any yet ?

Don’t think I’ll be travelling anywhere anytime soon the way the world is ;)

Anyone bought any yet ?
Not yet, but I will be replacing the plate on my bike when it's at the dealer for service in June as I don't want the bother of adding a separate GB sticker - although Spain, Cyprus and Malta are all insisting on one regardless of the vehicle's plate.

Regarding position of the flag and the "GB", the regulations state:
The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.
More info here:

Here's mine, but I've no idea if it still requires an additional GB sticker or not as it uses the 'UK' identifier and not 'GB'. However, as clk320x says, the chances of my car going abroad anytime soon is nigh on zero :(
Untitled-1.jpg

I bought stickers on line to cover the EU stars , looks like the ones here that Mikey has , they are not the best , but it's only on our run around Toyota Yaris. My C55 has no flag on the plates.

I think if anyone is planning on driving in the EU I would recommend a 'belt and braces' approach just in case you get stopped by a anti Brexit cop. Same with headlamp beam benders , if your car does not have side change function I would fit them just so as not to give EU plod any excuses.

I bought stickers on line to cover the EU stars , looks like the ones here that Mikey has , they are not the best , but it's only on our run around Toyota Yaris. My C55 has no flag on the plates.

I think if anyone is planning on driving in the EU I would recommend a 'belt and braces' approach just in case you get stopped by a anti Brexit cop. Same with headlamp beam benders , if your car does not have side change function I would fit them just so as not to give EU plod any excuses.
Totally agree , I will be 100% compliant when I next go to Europe (as I always am ) , I’m hoping maybe for a southern France gite booking in September .
Got the 1st jab on Friday :)

Rather than sign up to “what f£&*ing number plate monthly” (it’s easy to overthink things ) , I’m going with plain flat aluminium (who knew that’s an option) to go in my new slide in number plate holders .
The alu plate should bend nicely in the front holder .
No badges or country identifier, I’ll just stick a GB sticker on the back , so in fact a total reversal of my start position:).

Rather than sign up to “what f£&*ing number plate monthly” (it’s easy to overthink things ) , I’m going with plain flat aluminium (who knew that’s an option) to go in my new slide in number plate holders .
No badges or country identifier, I’ll just stick a GB sticker on the back , so in fact a total reversal of my start position:).
Aluminium plates? Now there's a good idea. The thing I hate about the front plate is the need to use screws as sticky pads won't hold an acrylic plate forced to the bend radius of the S204 numberplate plinth ( yep, I know it's a 1st World problem)

Aluminium plates? Now there's a good idea. The thing I hate about the front plate is the need to use screws as sticky pads won't hold an acrylic plate forced to the bend radius of the S204 numberplate plinth ( yep, I know it's a 1st World problem)
Exactly my thinking, especially with the plate holder frames .

Don't forget your 'Crit'Air' windscreen sticker, on the spot £117 if you're stopped and you don't have one....

Don't forget your 'Crit'Air' windscreen sticker, on the spot £117 if you're stopped and you don't have one....
Mandatory if you're INSIDE the Peripherique, or in larger cities like Lyon, Grenoble and Marseille.

But not if you're the typical tourist. And, as ever, the French Police don't hunt for them, any more than they look for the mandatory breathalyser and spare lightbulb set which "has" to be in every car.

Where you need to have a Crit'Air sticker in France

There's a case for "sporting" a GB sticker to highlight that you're a Jean-Michel Etranger to European drivers.

It makes them feel better when you leave them chewing your V* exhaust fumes.

(Except for the Belgian Opel white van drivers, who overtake everything else on the road.)

These "extra" sticky, thick pads do the job on my curved fronted SL:

Bek-Fix Number Plate Pads

IMG_20210316_170434.jpgIMG_20210305_163703_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Mandatory if you're INSIDE the Peripherique, or in larger cities like Lyon, Grenoble and Marseille.

But not if you're the typical tourist. And, as ever, the French Police don't hunt for them, any more than they look for the mandatory breathalyser and spare lightbulb set which "has" to be in every car.

Where you need to have a Crit'Air sticker in France

Also they become mandatory if you happen to be in one of the 28 ZPA areas where they can designate (at will) an area as having dangerously high pollution at any time of the day. Hence the reason i've been buying them for my cars since 2018.

I know you say the French police don't look for them, but for 3 Euro's plus postage, it just isn't worth the risk of a fine. Also, do you really want to be giving them a reason to stop a UK registered car for ANY reason? I think not personally.

There's a case for "sporting" a GB sticker to highlight that you're a Jean-Michel Etranger to European drivers.

It makes them feel better when you leave them chewing your V* exhaust fumes.

(Except for the Belgian Opel white van drivers, who overtake everything else on the road.)

Funny , but normally the sight of a Merc in rural France turns them into race car drivers, not very good ones either

GB sticker is compulsory whether or not you have GB on the plate. Alcohol testing kits never became compulsory in France but knowing what the Gendarmes are like I always carry one.

I didn’t bother with a GB badge last time, I do have a magnetic one but the back of my last few cars has no steel for sticking to so it now resides on the washing machine.
They all know that it’s a UK car anyway, what difference does it make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom