Any bought a new Number Plate with badges on it for European driving ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No me neither W1ghty, it was a Sunday, needed a plate, and the kids wanted to go dirt biking so went to see if I could get one there, I just asked the lass on the desk for the cheapest rear plate and she looked and said that the aluminium one was the cheapest they did at about £11. Nothing fancy, just basic. It didn’t actually occur to me that they would make a good front plate for the bend in the bumper as mentioned, but good idea.

Did have the union jack on mine,they didn't look right so took them off 20210217 120549 — Postimages]
20210217-120549.jpg
[/url]

Think I might be tempting fate if I took the Boxster to to Europe , reg is T999BXT , so they may interpret it as short for the "B" word. Could always go the whole hog I suppose and have a Union Jack with FU underneath it!

Why not get the whole car wrapped in a union jack . 🇬🇧 !
Back in the 1990's I used to ride down to the Bol d'Or endurance race in the south of France every year. On one trip I pulled into some services on the Autoroute for fuel on the way home, and the bike on the pump in front of me had the entire number plate as a Union Flag - no registration was visible at all. I chatted to the rider who said he'd put it on the back of his bike on exiting the ferry in Calais 6 days earlier, and had ridden the full length of France and back without anything but smiles from the Gendarmes. Those were the days...

Back in the 1990's I used to ride down to the Bol d'Or endurance race in the south of France every year. On one trip I pulled into some services on the Autoroute for fuel on the way home, and the bike on the pump in front of me had the entire number plate as a Union Flag - no registration was visible at all. I chatted to the rider who said he'd put it on the back of his bike on exiting the ferry in Calais 6 days earlier, and had ridden the full length of France and back without anything but smiles from the Gendarmes. Those were the days...
I was probably riding the same road as you on my 1992 Fireblade. Bikers did not have to pay the toll's back then :)

Bikers did not have to pay the toll's back then :)
Correct. But it did have the odd problem, like it didn't start until (from memory) 1pm on the Friday and if - like us - you used to dive off the Autoroute just south of Valence so you could ride the Gorge d'Ardeche and you hit the peage station before then, you either had to block the road at the peage station until they gave up and let you through for free, or park up until 1pm :)

It also used to go wrong on the way back, because it was only the southern autoroutes that were free so you'd arrive at at a peage station at (say) Dijon mid-afternoon, with no ticket because you'd entered through a free lane 300 miles or so further south. That was always fun :rolleyes:
I was probably riding the same road as you on my 1992 Fireblade.
One year there were three of us riding together on ST1100's and a guy on a 'Blade in the same group decided to ride along with us. We stopped for fuel south of Lyon and on rejoining the autoroute he hooked up with a gaggle of German's - also on 'Blades - and buggered off. When we met up with him later that day in Bandol (he beat us there by 3+ hrs) he said he'd run the entire tank on full throttle :eek:

My story. I travel alone and had planned to 'amble' down there avoiding the motorways as much as could. The weather got bad so I just joined the autoroute to get the journey over with. Prior to that on the ferry I met 3 other blokes on 'Blades and we started chatting about riding in a group until I realised they had passengers. ...bad move.

Tent pitched ,me half cut , pitch dark I saw them arrive in the campsite. Proving that no matter how pretty she is she will not sit up on that perch for long before demanding a 'rest stop'.
Last one . At one fuel stop on the way back I realised I would miss my ferry, gave it the full beans ...went on to reserve after 80 miles :eek:...missed the ferry, got the next one .

Proving that no matter how pretty she is she will not sit up on that perch for long before demanding a 'rest stop'.
Similar story. One year we had two couples - one pair on a ZZR1100 the other on a 'Blade(!) - who chose to ride with us. The woman on the back of the 'Blade ended up crying in pain on the second day of the trip and spent the rest of the journey down and back on the rear seat of one of our ST1100's. Horses for courses, and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom