Any bowel cancer survivors on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Ok guys , this is a purely selfish thread. I would like to hear from anyone that has/knows someone that has survived bowel cancel. Sorry , but I do not want to hear of any losses , only upbeat , positive vibes!!!
A young lady , mother of 2 young children , and very close to our family, was diagnosed with bowel cancer early last year. Following surgery she was "clear" at 12 months. Unfortunately , recent tests indicated a presence of cancer in the bowel , and the liver. She is due to receive results from a 4d? scan any day now , which is apparently more detailed than an MRI scan.
She has resigned herself to not surviving ( her father died of this in his 30`s),and we are all very aware that the prognosis is not looking good.
She has refused counselling , and has gone into "shutdown" mode. She will not discuss her illness or feelings with family or friends ( she has been my daughters best friend for 20 years), and has been printing off photo albums for her children , so they won`t forget her. I am at a loss what to say to her, and I suppose , holding on to a glimmer of hope that she can beat this evil disease. However , I also feel that we need to get her into a positive mindset, hence I am asking for details of your triumphs. If you have lost someone close , to cancer ,I really feel for you , but on this thread I only want to hear success stories.
I know this is a sensitive area ,so if you want to P.M. me i will be glad to give you my e-mail address. Just writing this has brought tears to the eyes of a cynical old bustard , but I know there is some good news out there somewhere. If you have the good news , please respond.

Last edited:
If you see my earlier threads you will we had to close down our Motorsport business in 2012 due to my brother in law being diagnosed with bowel cancer. We decided if he was to fight this he did not need the hassle of a complex business and he was approaching retirement age 60 anyway

18 months on and one op later he is fine regular checks show he is clear and the surgeon did a great job I think part of this was down to his positive attitude all the way through it was I'm going to beat this there is no way it will get the better of me. He did everything the doctors told him to the letter and the results speak for themselves

I sincerely hope your friend beats this but I believe a positive mental attitude is essential, easier said than done I know as it's human nature to think the worst

But it can be beaten and there is hope

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
Thanks Flango. Pleased to hear your brother in law is doing well.
Many thanks also to those that have sent me a p.m.
The young lady in question has an appointment next week to discuss the outcome of the scan . I am looking into some of the options you have sent to me , as I do believe there should be a plan b.

Not bowel Cancer. But I survived Cancer... five years ago I was given a 50-50 chance of being a live in three years time. I took the good half :D and I am still here, no Cancer as far as anyone can tell :thumb:

flango said:
If you see my earlier threads you will we had to close down our Motorsport business in 2012 due to my brother in law being diagnosed with bowel cancer. We decided if he was to fight this he did not need the hassle of a complex business and he was approaching retirement age 60 anyway 18 months on and one op later he is fine regular checks show he is clear and the surgeon did a great job I think part of this was down to his positive attitude all the way through it was I'm going to beat this there is no way it will get the better of me. He did everything the doctors told him to the letter and the results speak for themselves I sincerely hope your friend beats this but I believe a positive mental attitude is essential, easier said than done I know as it's human nature to think the worst But it can be beaten and there is hope Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I second the positive approach... My wife had cancer when we were younger... serious matter but we chose the positive belief approach. It's been demonstrated to help and what's more, it doesn't matter if you're wrong in some ways because at least your days are those of a happy fool.

What has been explained to me at the time is that all the brainy people out there are working very hard on finding new treatments and cures for various types of Cancers, which means that the chances of survival are improving year on year.

A relative of mine died of the same cancer that I had, 11 years before I was diagnosed with mine. I am here today while he is sadly not simply because the treatment they gave me was not available back then (Incidentally it was based on a new drug developed at Cambridge University - well done lads!).

The fact that someone close to her did not make it some years ago has no bearing on her prognosis today.

I wish I could report a happy outcome to this thread . Sadly , after a long and brave fight , our dear friend is now facing her final hours. Her courage throughout has been staggering . There have been highs and lows , with expectations followed by disappointments , and now the finality of the hospice , which brings me to the point of this post.
The husband of the young lady in question ,has raised thousands of pounds for Macmillan and Weston Hospicecare , organizing a charity ball , discos etc , and I must say the Hospice in turn , have been magnificent . They only receive 19% of their funding from the Government so rely heavily on donations.
My wife and I went in to say goodbye at the weekend , and were really impressed with the care and dedication of the staff. They have provided not only great medical care , but put the young lady at ease , and helped her find "acceptance" , to a point that she felt ready to let go. Heartbreaking to see her go , but of great comfort that she will depart in a
dignified manner in comfortable surroundings.Please support your local hospice.

god bless her and her young family x

Sent from my iPhone

My uncle was diagnosed with bowel cancer last year. He went through a lot of treatment, chemo and had a 'bag' at one point (now reversed). He has been given the all clear and we are all over the moon. He still has some tingling in his hands which may not go but I watched him go through it all and it wasn't pleasant. Never give up, I know the C word scares the crap out of most of us, but he was determined to beat it and he has. Fingers crossed his reports keep coming back clear.

OP. I read this and wept.

Cancer can be survivable. The pain for family and friends often being greater than for those who suffer. Somehow William Blake helped me.

The Sick Rose

By William Blake O Rose thou art sick.
The invisible worm,
That flies in the night
In the howling storm:

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.

Got a close buddy who has survived Bowel Cancer.

Basically he did a heavy lift = moving a childs playhouse for and with me. Blood in stools next day. MD consulted - Consultant consulted. Operation to remove infected part of pipework, nicked a bit of pipe from elsewhere in his system and bridged cancerous bit which had been taken out. New pipe given time to settle. Bag off. Job done. Clear for 12 months now. He is back to running, jumping and doing all the mad thing he used to pre diagnosis.
Good Luck to the family friend.
CHEERS

Our thoughts our with this brave Lady, her family & friends. The only comfort will be that she suffers no more. God Bless All

Ant.

Cancer certainly is a rollercoaster ride - in my mum's case it lasted 6 years.

Plenty of upsides, hope, downsides and despair.

It's a year on this Friday that my mum got her final death sentence from the results that her's had spread.

Sadly, this time of year brings it all back.

I wish your friend well and hope the final journey is peaceful. It's the most you can ask for.

Never stop talking about her once she has gone and remember the good times - forget the bad (easier said than done).

Celebrate the anniversaries as if she were still here and raise a glass.

I'm welling up a little writing this and only a year on. Going to be a long journey for me.

My dad survived bowel cancer, was diagnosed 10 years ago and had a couple of operations, one bodged, and we thought he was a gonner to be honest, but he's a stubborn old goat and against all the odds remains here to keep us on our toes.

I wish you all all the best

Really sad story...but unfortunately all too common in the UK, thoughts and wishes to the family and friends.

The UK has the worst early cancer detection rates in Europe, I find this shocking, lots of reasons for this, GP not recognising symptoms, patient denial, late scans, over run NHS etc 22% of UK cancer is diagnosed at stage 3/4 which is very hard to treat successfully....many people actually omitted and diagnosed through A&E still, no answer but I think if anyone is unsure always best to seek 2nd and 3rd opinions...if caught early (stage 0-2) your chance of cure is much higher, note you are only deemed cured of diagnosed cancer after 5years of clear CT scans.

Its scary stuff but the UK Government need to act fast, by 2020 it is predicted the big C will be diagnosed 50% (1in2) of the population in there lifetime. Personally I think its only time before private healthcare is national like the US system were funding is more readily available, they seem to lead cancer treatment development.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. She said she wanted to go out with a bang, so bless her , she held out until this morning for " bonfire night" .Kept her sense of humour until the end . She worked for T.J.Hughes until they closed down a few years ago. She told my daughter the other day "throw the urn with my ashes through the shop window, you may have to try a few times as I am not very heavy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom