Any budding pianists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
When recently sorting out my late parents house, we found an old clavichord under a cover in the office. I vaguely remember it being there but never dared to look under the cover! Anyways, we have no idea if it is worth anything, if at all, but tbh its not the value of it , its wanting it to go to a good home. I've contacted many different places, even Morley who made it, to see if they would be interested, but nothing has come of that. I didnt know if there was anyone on here who would be able to help or even be interested in it. There is no one in the family who is musically minded, I think my late Dad just loved buying unusual things.

From what I've found out , it's a 4 octave John Morley Clavichord No. 1230 from the 1960's.

Some pics

20210602_163031.jpg20210602_162928.jpg
20210602_162938.jpg20210602_163051.jpg

There is slight damage to the rear corners and along the back

20210602_163024.jpg20210602_163129.jpg

Last edited:
When recently sorting out my late parents house, we found an old clavichord under a cover in the office. I vaguely remember it being there but never dared to look under the cover! Anyways, we have no idea if it is worth anything, if at all, but tbh its not the value of it , its wanting it to go to a good home. I've contacted many different places, even Morley who made it, to see if they would be interested, but nothing has come of that. I didnt know if there was anyone on here who would be able to help or even be interested in it. There is no one in the family who is musically minded, I think my late Dad just loved buying unusual things.

From what I've found out , it's a 4 octave John Morley Clavichord No. 1230 from the 1960's.

Some pics

View attachment 114437View attachment 114438
View attachment 114439View attachment 114443

There is slight damage to the rear corners and along the back

View attachment 114441View attachment 114442
Love to have something like that.

Surely that's worth something if a new one is £3k+

Put it on the bay with low starting price, collection only.

Hi Sarah it's worth a lot - this is an ad for a 1957 one.

As you asked about budding pianists, my 14 year old daughter has just passed her grade 4 and is going for grade 6 next. Her BFF is one better - she's now on grade 7.

I'm very happy as it keeps them away from the boys LOL.

Wish you luck finding a home for that Sarah! We have a Chappell upright piano that my mother bought about 28 years ago for our daughter, I still have the bill, cost Mum £800. A couple of years ago daughter decided she no longer wanted us to keep it for her, so we attempted to first sell it then give it away (buyer collects!!), absolutely no interest at all!! It's still in our garden room used to display numerous family photographs!

Wish you luck finding a home for that Sarah! We have a Chappell upright piano that my mother bought about 28 years ago for our daughter, I still have the bill, cost Mum £800. A couple of years ago daughter decided she no longer wanted us to keep it for her, so we attempted to first sell it then give it away (buyer collects!!), absolutely no interest at all!! It's still in our garden room used to display numerous family photographs!
We had the same kind of experience.

I needed a piece of furniture to simply fill a gap and put some photos on. I couldn’t find anything suitable until a carpet fitter friend of mine mentioned a piano in a house he was working in. I paid £100 quid for it which a great deal and it was 101 years old when I got it in 1997!!

We sold the house in 2019 and it went in the skip. Couldn’t even give it away

Clavichord is house/flat friendly compared to a piano.
Compact, light and quietly spoken. It will find a home more easily than any piano.

I hope it goes to a good home. My six-year old daughter is doing very well on our Yamaha Arius digital piano and is soon to take her Grade 1. Unfortunately we don’t have anywhere for that lovely clavichord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom