Any Circuit Board Guru's on the board ???

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by poormansporsche, Aug 22, 2015.

1. poormansporsche

poormansporsche Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209
    Alright Good People,

Im retrofitting steering wheel controls on my W208 but I cant be bothered with all that adding can bus and changing clusters etc etc.

I have a aftermarket radio with steering wheel controls capability. I have a converter to use Ford (non canbus) steering wheel controls and the circuit board from a ford steering wheel with controls. I have identified that each function on the ford circuit board can be controlled by a external microswitch. I have soldered on a simple 2 wire circuit to each part on the board.

So ive stripped down a facelift set w208 steering wheel switches and need to know if there is anyway to use the original microswitches and circuit board to send a simple on/off signal ? I only need to use 2 microswitches from each switch - Volume up / down on one and track up / down on the other ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or would it just be easier to dump the circuit boards and mount 4 new microswitches on some board and trim to fit the original switches ?

Any thoughts ?

Brett

2. SG94

SG94 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 C Class Sport Estate
    Think you might be better going to Maplin and getting some blank boards mate. You can get tracked or in-tracked. For a simple job like this tracked would be easy enough, you just scratch off the tracks you don't need/want.
    :)

3. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Surely that is exactly what those switches do?
    If that is right, I would just disconnect them, and solder wires directly onto the solder pads to achieve the function you need.
    Good luck! It looks fun :)

4. markmifsud

markmifsud Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
    How do you intend to run the number of cables from your 4 switches through the wheel and back to your HU? The current slip ring will not cater for that number. Minimum of 5 wires for your setup.

The current switches have a different resistance when activated.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    poormansporsche

Car:
    W209
    Haven't got that far yet was hoping just to be able to run 2 bits if 4 core down the centre of the column with some slack to account for the wheel movement !!!

6. E270 Owner

E270 Owner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything I get my hands on.
    You can use that oem board

Remove the resistors and bridge across.

7. mercedescl500

mercedescl500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500 with Brabus Bits and 1 Big Suprise
    Instead of running wires which will be difficult at best you should consider the following method.

This method has been used to send a signal from A - B without wiring in-between. And it'll fit inside your steering wheel. The thread I m referring to is linked below http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/125857-w210-e55-paddle-shift-mod-2.html

The guide shows how a signal from steering wheel could be sent to gearbox selector without wiring inbetween them. The module can be bought on eBay for approx £5.

HTH.

8. OP
    OP
    poormansporsche

Car:
    W209
  9. mercedescl500

mercedescl500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500 with Brabus Bits and 1 Big Suprise
    That's great, glad to help. Also in the original guide the transmitter/receiver used in the steering wheel paddle mod a "momentary switch/relay" was used. I have no idea if that makes any difference but thought I'd just let you know incase.

Like this unit : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151683986561