Any donations to the alloy wheel refurbishment funds...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
Will be greatly appreciated!

At least it’s after 3 weeks of ownership! My last car was one week and the car before that was 3 days after taking
1a8a3c2ae138fba24933fad6017a3068.jpg
ownership.

I don’t know what it is but I do wonder whether the wife is more attracted to kerbs than me sometimes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth looking at tyres with better rim protection?

Yeah good idea. The problem is the garage replaced all 4 tyres as part of the handover and it’s only likely to do 6k a year, so a slow burner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knicked the driver's side rear rim a few weeks ago on the inside kerb of a mini-roundabout in Warrington. Just cut it a little tight. The Mrs scraped the nearside front (I think) reversing onto our drive with near full left-hand lock. With the very low profile tyres, it's easy to scrape a rim.

Last edited:
Looking at the tyres I don't think rim protection is the issue, no amount of rim protection will stop someone literally whacking into the kerb. I think some further training on how to park is required. :)

Do you know what’s ironic. Yesterday she said the mirror dipped when I put the car in reverse. I said that’s so you can see the kerb, so there no reason for hitting it now!

The car has even got the parking system!

I knicked the driver's side rear rim a few weeks ago on the inside kerb of a mini-roundabout in Warrington a few months back. Just cut it a little tight. The Mrs scraped the nearside front (I think) reversing onto our drive with near full left-hand lock. With the very low profile tyres, it's easy to scrape a rim.

Yes very easy to do, I've knicked the nearside front on mine outside the barbers. The street has a ridiculously high kerb and I misjudged how close I was. Annoyingly I did this with the black alloys on my A Class on the very same kerb!

I bought this car for my wife. The four wheels on mine are completely knackered. I’ve lost count how many times they’ve been kerbed. It just doesn’t phase me anymore.

I was hoping we could have had this car for at least 6 months before she continued with the demolition derby!

And with diamond cut alloys, even the slightest nick will look like you ran riot with the angle grinder in no time :(

Tell me about it. Mine look awful.

Looking at the tyres I don't think rim protection is the issue, no amount of rim protection will stop someone literally whacking into the kerb.

They certainly help prevent minor scrapes though, without being too obvious visually. These are the tyres on my SL:

rear wheel.jpg

275 rim protection.jpg

Just tell her you've had it fixed but she has to go down and collect / pay for it. Won't happen again.

Just tell her you've had it fixed but she has to go down and collect / pay for it. Won't happen again.

I can’t imagine it will stop her. Kerbs are like magnets!

If it’s her car and she is not bothered by it then just leave it. You’ll get them refurbed and it’s bound to happen again.

Sorry like but you need to change your wife, this is my biggest pet hate lol. mates lass used to destroy alloy wheels so this time he took out wheel insurance when he bought her a new car, guess what she has not marked them in 18 months lol.

You're not alone my missus rubs against the kerb so much the writing has come of the side walls of her tyres, she wonders why i wont add her to my insurance.
IMG_0976.JPG

See the writing across the top? :rolleyes:

If it’s her car and she is not bothered by it then just leave it. You’ll get them refurbed and it’s bound to happen again.

She is bothered. She arrived at the house in tears saying I should give the car back and buy her a banger.

But as you say, she will do it again, which is why I’ve never bothered sorting my wheels out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom