Any e63s trickle charger recommendations?

• Thread starter Deleted member 154425
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks.

Oh by the way re: MB own label - funny enough, based on their website this isn't compatible with the e63 for whatever reason ...
I did the same check yesterday. I ended up ordering a CTEK MXS 5.0, as it will be fine our 6.2 M156 as it doesn’t have stop start. I’m cautious about using it on our cars with stop-start though even though it has an AGM programme - apparently the initial and reconditioning phases can cause problems.

However it’s not possible to use the standard MXS 5.0 with lithium batteries, and this may be the reason that it’s not compatible. Not sure which models have Lithium batteries though. If I like the MXS 5.0 then I’ll probably get the equivalent unit for Lithium batteries too.

Never had a problem with the start stop on my SLK, have used my old CTEK model a good few times

Thanks @daveenty . Did you hardwire it in ? Front terminals in boot I presume ?
I did a lot of reading over night and I have read opposing views, some say wire to battery, some say front jump terminals. The manual says to use the jump terminals so that’s what I will use, at least initially.

I have an idea for hardwiring though. I don’t have sufficient knowledge to execute the idea and so I’ll create new thread to avoid this one straying too far.

What sort of problems ?
My technical understanding is limited, however my understanding is that during the initial stage the MXS charges at 15.8v whereas the maximum permissible according to Mercedes is 14.7v. This can can cause permanently damage the battery.

Also I recall that the reconditioning and/or desulpherisation (spelling?) process(es) can cause similar lasting damage.

All of that is from memory and neither my memory or technical understanding is particularly strong!

Interesting ... I actually tried to ring Mercedes and the dude doesn't seem to have a clue - tried at least two service garages. It seems a lot of people use those chargers and they have gone through some different upgrades / versions so maybe it is ok now .. I don't know .. at the end of the day I would use it as an emergency anyway I think .. I usually drive daily I just haven't had it more than 3 days before it went away for PPF (which is where I got the first message that the battery is critical as it is standing for quite a while). I will keep an eye on it on daily use and if I notice that my daily school run right now isn't enough to keep it happy I may consider using it / call Mercedes again.

My technical understanding is limited, however my understanding is that during the initial stage the MXS charges at 15.8v whereas the maximum permissible according to Mercedes is 14.7v. This can can cause permanently damage the battery.

Also I recall that the reconditioning and/or desulpherisation (spelling?) process(es) can cause similar lasting damage.

All of that is from memory and neither my memory or technical understanding is particularly strong!

@Bobby Dazzler

Just tried to find the output voltage - interesting nugget :

Output: 14.4V/14.7V/15.8V/13.6V, 10A max

That's for the MXS 10 I ordered ..

So it seems to do the 14.7 - but no idea when it is using what.

Edit: Darn, I noticed I ordered the 10 rather than 5 ... uff ...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bobby Dazzler

Just tried to find the output voltage - interesting nugget :

Output: 14.4V/14.7V/15.8V/13.6V, 10A max

That's for the MXS 10 I ordered ..

So it seems to do the 14.7 - but no idea when it is using what.

Edit: Darn, I noticed I ordered the 10 rather than 5 ... uff ...
There is a stop-start version, perhaps called CT5, which I assume has the 15.8v phase removed for AGM batteries but that’s a guess, nothing more.

Lots of people charge AGM batteries with the AGM mode on an MXS 5.0 or 10 with no complaints. Not quite as clear cut as I would like, but will continue to research.

Did someone say “research”? Come on @Happytalk73, get on the case.

I have used a Ctek MX5 on my AGM battery with stop start in AGM mode on a couple of occasions now without any ill effects.
Although saying that, I've never had it go flat enough to need reconditioning.

Another CTEK MXS 5.0 user here.
I've connected mine (on my W213) via the jump post and brass earth under the bonnet every other month since December '17 without any known issues.

More info here as a quick search produced these threads.

Another CTEK MXS 5.0 user here.
I've connected mine (on my W213) via the jump post and brass earth under the bonnet every other month since December '17 without any known issues.
My mistake, I haven't been using it since Dec '17, that is when I got the car. I've been using it every other month since October '18.

Had an MXS 5.0 for over six years and used daily.

Plugged into the S212 E63 for a year now and have only ever used the 'car' mode, pretty sure AGM uses the same cycles.
Connected to the jumper lugs.

15.8v only on the initial 1st phase light for Car and AGM modes.
When the charger is connected, the operating lights jump straight to phase 2 or 3 and never starts on 1, so never gets 15.8v

Last edited:
I’ve used the MXS 7.0 - no issues. Not sure about this high voltage aspect. Did cause me to raise an eyebrow - but no one has reported any issues

I’ve used the MXS 7.0 - no issues. Not sure about this high voltage aspect. Did cause me to raise an eyebrow - but no one has reported any issues

Ditto - mine is 11 years old and still going strong. Ctek confirmed that it suitable for use on my SL.

As I bought the MXS 10 (at the time cheaper than the 5 or 7) would anyone see any issues ?

Ctec website just say 'make sure you use the right one' ...

As I bought the MXS 10 (at the time cheaper than the 5 or 7) would anyone see any issues ?

Just popped my new CTEK MXS 5.0 on to a car with a completely flat battery. It’s set on car and recondition - I hope it will resuscitate it!

Good luck .. I returned the 10 and ordered the 5 ... we shall see. My app still says critical battery despite me asking PPF guys to put a charger on - then again - I see the status was updated 3 days ago - maybe it's dead already lol (or inside without reception) .. Hopefully get it back Wednesday ... the car that is ...So weird to have a brand new car and only driven it a day before vanishing for two weeks

Wont make any difference other than charging the battery twice as quick as an MXS5.0. The MXS10 has the added advantage of a temperature sensor and a 12v supply mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom