Any early CLS owners out there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
Hi all,

I am having an internal debate whether to part with the W124 coupe, not because I have fallen out of love with it, but as i've had her a good 7/8 years now, more for a change.

I was looking at E39 540i's as I do very little mileage these days and could afford the fuel.

However, my attention has turned to the price of some of the early CLS' coming onto the market. Around the £5k mark gets a decent looking condition high miler.

I have always loved the styling of these, and as the spiritual successor to the 124 coupe, I am sorely tempted.

Has anyone got any thoughts as to the reliability of these early (2006/7) cars, and as I am used to doing most things on the 124 myself, how easy they would be to maintain without bothering a dealer every 5 minutes......

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lee

I think you might struggle with 540s now - I've been looking at various cars recently when deciding on a way to go after mine and there are hardly any.

The ones I do see look a bit rich to me.

A CLS on an 06/07 will not have the SBC pump issue.

If you get one without Airmatic, you shouldn't have any potential issues with that to sort out - particularly as it ages. The ride is not as good though.

What engine though? Bear in mind the balance shaft issues on the M273 which may be fitted if you go for a V8 - I think the V6 might be the M272 as well which can also suffer! How likely this is though - I don't know but I know it is expensive to fix.

A CLS on an 06/07 will not have the SBC pump issue.

Plenty of 06s out there with SBC, like mine :) First facelift that lost it was June/July time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom