Any electricians here?

• Thread starter Deletedmember130310
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you got it sorted, and for the follow up.

Thanks everyone

I traced it to a poorly connected earth in the ceiling rose on the landing - particularly frustrating as that light had been fitted by a qualifed electrian, who had fixed a few other issues (immersion heater on a 3 pin plug!) as well as issueing a new certificste. We werent convo ced the last one was completely legit. We only bought the house in May.

All seems ok now ....although i do miss the flickering light....

If you think it was down to a poor earth connection you have much more serious problems,
it shouldn't be current carrying.

Well i did resecure all the other wires into the other switches so maybe the fault was somewhere else..

Looks like you're sorted,
it's common for one wire to drop out of the back of a switch terminal on 2 way switches and often canbe held by other wires in the same terminal looking like it's still connected.
Another common mistake is to over tighten the wires, causing the solid core to break some time down the line. The best way is to tighten some and then give a little pull to check if it's held.

Thanks everyone

I traced it to a poorly connected earth in the ceiling rose on the landing - particularly frustrating as that light had been fitted by a qualifed electrian, who had fixed a few other issues (immersion heater on a 3 pin plug!) as well as issueing a new certificste. We werent convo ced the last one was completely legit. We only bought the house in May.

All seems ok now ....although i do miss the flickering light....
A poorly connected earth? How could that have anything to do with flickering since the light would still work without the earth attached. Do you mean the earth was coming into contact with a live wire? This sounds very dangerous...are you absolutely sure about this?

Or...do you mean a poorly connected neutral?

No - i shal be calling the electrian who did the work to come back and check everything...he was supposed to have checked it all as part of the new certificate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom