Any electronics boffins in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

Hi, i would like some help with what is probably a very simple electronics project - i would like to build `Gadget A` in the below image or even better is something suitable already available `off the shelf`..?
What i require is an output relay to be powered for a set period of time once the activation of a microswitch has occured - time duration would be somewhere in the range of 1 to 2 minutes probably.
When the microswitch has been activated it will return to it`s pre-activated state (either normally open or closed) so the Gadget must `reset` at this point after the relay energising time has ended.
The voltage to power Gadget A can be anything really, from say 6VDC up to 240VAC.
The microswitch can be wired normally open or closed (whichever is simpler to make Gadget A easier to make) it won`t effect the way activation is achieved in my installation.
The relay can be rated for up to 240V, it can then be capable of switching on a low voltage item if necessary.
Is this do-able for an electronics rookie?

Attachments

• gadget A.png
    gadget A.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 22
Timer relays are widely available but bear in mind a timer needs a power input for the timer circuit to work and while they will accept a range of voltages it's less likely you can buy one timer relay that can accept either 12 Volts DC or 240 Volts AC if that's what you had in mind.

Below is a link to the technical data sheet for a timer relay base that I happen to have used. It a flexible device as it will switch a small load on it's own or a larger load if a relay is plugged into the base.

https://docs.rs-online.com/3c06/0900766b8001b272.pdf

I find these versatile, but look some more as I used to pay closer to £4.50. But inflation and all that.

12 volt input / control.
Remove S5 if a different voltage to be passed through the relay (I don't).
Times are widely adjustable using different jumps at S1 and S2.

You can jump the open pins with a micro switch, or apply 12 volts to one.

I use them in our cars to open / close the garage door.
At ignition on there is 2 minutes (pre set) to operate the micro switch (push button in our case), then the availability for use has timed out.
This is reset for a further 2 minutes availability on selecting reverse (that's the 12 volts to the open pin from the reverse light).

Of course for security there is no power to the unit w/o key in ignition to pos 2.

Not very good at electrics but your "gadget" appears to work the same as a movement operated room light , but PiR operated not a switch.
That`s basically what i require but operated by a microswitch instead of a PIR.
Timer relays are widely available but bear in mind a timer needs a power input for the timer circuit to work and while they will accept a range of voltages it's less likely you can buy one timer relay that can accept either 12 Volts DC or 240 Volts AC if that's what you had in mind.

Below is a link to the technical data sheet for a timer relay base that I happen to have used. It a flexible device as it will switch a small load on it's own or a larger load if a relay is plugged into the base.

https://docs.rs-online.com/3c06/0900766b8001b272.pdf
I should of made it clearer - the voltage to power the control circuit /gadget can be anything suitable, the circuit the relay will be operating will be a separate circuit and could be low voltage or mains depending on what i eventually decide to hook up to it.

M80, thanks for that i`ll look into it.

You could use another relay ( perhaps the onboard one if rated correctly) to bridge between different voltages, supplies if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom