Any experience of a Jaguar XE?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6183
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

Preparing for my next car later this year and have been tempted by the above.

My reasoning is as follows:

• I fancy change from MB
  • A smaller car would suit me right now
  • I want a petrol next
  • I have never owned a Jag
  • A 200bhp 2.0 litre petrol is adequate for my current needs
Anyone driven one?

We have delivered a few for Jaguar (in the car delivery business), they were okay, nothing special, didn't make me feel like I am driving a luxurious car.

I find the back end looks like someone got a knife and cut it off like a cake, it's too flat. However It looks good from the front. I'm guessing you've already made your mind up on its appearance.

We only ever had diesels, so I can't comment on petrol engines. I didn't find it handle any better than its rivals as some of the reviews suggested.

I think going petrol is a good call, especially when it comes to reliability of the JLR diesels. Most of, if not all, the major breakdowns we experienced were whilst driving Land Rovers and Jags, some new, some old. The most recent one we had was a 2014 XF, it was driving fine then dashboard all lit up and engine stopped on a busy high street. Couldn't even push it aside as the retractable gear knob went back in and no power to disengage electronic handbrake.

You have to test drive to see if it's for you. How about the new A4 with its virtual cockpit?

I've had a couple as courtesy cars.

The first - a low-spec automatic - was a nasty, revvy thing that seemed underpowered (I can't remember which engine it had) and I was glad that I only had it for a day. The next one was a 2.0 diesel R Sport with a six-speed manual gearbox. I had it for about a week, covered a lot of miles and quite liked it.

However, the interior of both cars did seem a bit cheap in certain areas (instrument binnacles in particular).

You def want to get the r model, its so much nicer. The 2.0 petrol is a turbo that is also fitted in the f type and evoque. The weak spots on them is rear arms as they are hard on bushes and the metal pipe of the braided brake hoses, but cover these in grease and they will last

I looked at buying a new XE before deciding to stay with M-B last March. While the salesman was talking to his boss about a trade-in value for my car, I was invited to sit in an XE in the showroom. I have owned two Jaguars in the past - a Daimler Sovereign 4.2 (in reality, an XJ6 in a party frock) and an S-Type. Both felt very special - even just sitting in them. The XE, on the other hand, felt very ordinary. I was even less impressed when the height adjuster lever broke as I raised the seat. What really put me off, though, was the dealer's attitude - he offered a derisory amount for part-ex and would not budge on list price for the XE (perhaps he could sell all he get his hands on and didn't need to discount). His attitude, the part-ex valuation, the ordinariness of the XE's ambience and the flimsiness of its interior fittings put me off, so I bought another M-B. But don't let me dissuade you if you really want an XE...

I looked at buying a new XE before deciding to stay with M-B last March. While the salesman was talking to his boss about a trade-in value for my car, I was invited to sit in an XE in the showroom. I have owned two Jaguars in the past - a Daimler Sovereign 4.2 (in reality, an XJ6 in a party frock) and an S-Type. Both felt very special - even just sitting in them. The XE, on the other hand, felt very ordinary. I was even less impressed when the height adjuster lever broke as I raised the seat. What really put me off, though, was the dealer's attitude - he offered a derisory amount for part-ex and would not budge on list price for the XE (perhaps he could sell all he get his hands on and didn't need to discount). His attitude, the part-ex valuation, the ordinariness of the XE's ambience and the flimsiness of its interior fittings put me off, so I bought another M-B. But don't let me dissuade you if you really want an XE...

No modern offering from any manufacturer will come close to the interior ambience of a Series I - III Sovereign.

Whilst they may be loaded with technology, contemporary cars will feel bland in comparison.

They look great from the outside, but the dashboard is nothing special.
Very cramped in the rear too.

Thanks for the input guys, I have plenty of time and just spent money on the W211 for the first time and hope to get my money's worth from it for a few months yet.

It's a shame that MB don't offer more in the way of petrol engines.

Had this on demo a while ago;

Really liked it, the steering felt sharp but not hard, seats gave plenty of support, the in-car technology felt fresh and up-to-date.

Only real downsides were it felt like a small boot and not much space in the back but then again it is C-Class size.

The supercharged V6 engine is the one to go for, really is the sweet spot; RWD with 335bhp and it does late 30’s on a run.

Definitely worth a test drive.

Had one on hire. It was a bog model. Felt like a mondeo - apart from it would not keep my phone charged. Caused me huge issues with navigation. Was passing the airport again later that day and swapped it for an A6. Which was far superior.

All diesel XE's and XF's from 2015 have the new JLR Ingenium engine so don't compare these engines to anything before 2015.
Last year they started fitting 4 cylinder petrol Ingenium engines including a 296HP version which a colleague of mine has and he is very happy with it.
If the XE hasn't got enough boot space get the XF.
Buy British, says the man with a German car on a forum for people with German cars.

Brother in law has a diesel XE and is pleased with it. He got a good discount as his father used to work for Jaguar. But he is still paying more per month than he would have been paying for the equivalent C Class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom