Any Gumballers on MBClub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I really enjoy road trips, and taking part in Gumball 3000 or a similar rally definitely has an appeal, but the YouTube videos I've watched suggest that it can get a bit hairy and lairy which would probably put me off. Anyone ever done it?

Isn't it ludicrously expensive too?

Almost certainly! I think the cost varies depending upon the route, however it's £30k+ I believe.

Too many killings of non participants for my liking.

I hadn't heard of any fatalities, but a quick Google revelead a terrible fatal accident in 2007. It would appear that the driver left the scene but got stopped at the border, and then following bail tried to leg it again on a private jet.

Spending several days in close proximity to a bunch of vacuous look-at-me types with egos that far outstrip their driving abilities. No ta.

I have a feeling it's now closer to £100k per "team" (car) and has become the preserve of middle eastern supercar owners that have become persona non grata in Knightsbridge.

Spending several days in close proximity to a bunch of vacuous look-at-me types with egos that far outstrip their driving abilities. No ta.

That's one of the reasons I hoped someone might have done it. I wanted to find out if all participants are like the people you see on YouTube, or whether some people are more "normal".

Same goes for wanting to find out about similar rallies.

Purely for the fact that the Gumball is hugely expensive would put me off.

That said, I do like the idea of being involved in some kind of rally like this but on a cheaper scale. I'd love to do the Scumball rally! :)

I have a feeling it's now closer to £100k per "team" (car) and has become the preserve of middle eastern supercar owners that have become persona non grata in Knightsbridge.

:eek: that's me definitely out then!

There must be a gap in the market, for something half way between Gumball and the "banger" style rallies. For normal people wanting to do something a bit special, as part of an organised group.

Rico Rally looks fairly 'normal' without being a banger rally, that's about £1k per person.

That's one of the reasons I hoped someone might have done it. I wanted to find out if all participants are like the people you see on YouTube, or whether some people are more "normal".

Define "normal" :D

I know (via mutual connection) a few people that have been on the Gumball in the past. The backgrounds vary (family money, IT contractor, successful building business) but they're all about big, showy egos and conspicuous consumption.

However, I've participated in some 4x4 fundraising rallies in the past, and that attracted a wide range of people. It's all down to the portrayal by the organisers.

Last edited:
There must be a gap in the market, for something half way between Gumball and the "banger" style rallies. For normal people wanting to do something a bit special, as part of an organised group.

I'm sure I saw something like this when I was on holiday in the Lake District. - There were some nice cars, but nothing incredibly special. A couple with green chrome wraps and blue LED lights, but mostly normal-looking cars that were stickered-up.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the rally, but I think they were nominally raising money for something.

I've always fancied arranging a MBCLUB.CO.UK trip to the Nordsclife.

I believe it was done during the early days of the forum.

KillerHERTZ said:
I've always fancied arranging a MBCLUB.CO.UK trip to the Nordsclife. I believe it was done during the early days of the forum.

I'll be heading back there this year.

We used to have a group of us that did it with gt3 rs's, exige v6 cups, gtr's at 1000bhp back when they only just came out etc etc, and we just did it for the cost of travel as luckily we are all good friends. Sadly for me the group has gotten smaller over the years due to health, families etc

How about from the UK to the MB factories and back?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm going to Le Mans 24hr in June. 4 nights and 8 cars in our group. Cant wait! Porsche 911 turbo S, 400bhp Golf GTI, SL55 AMG, BMW 235i, BMW 240i, M5 touring, Golf R.

dan-mb said:
I'm going to Le Mans 24hr in June. 4 nights and 8 cars in our group. Cant wait! Porsche 911 turbo S, 400bhp Golf GTI, SL55 AMG, BMW 235i, BMW 240i, M5 touring, Golf R.

A lot of guys do the Le Mans run, I've never been myself! Be interesting to here a review of what the weekend is like

You probably know this already, but the French police treat Brits travelling to/from Le Mans as easy pickings these days :(

Under no circumstances take a radar detector with you, or have a sat-nav with speed-cam locations loaded on it. There is a very high chance of getting pulled for even a tiny amount (3%) over the limit, and the Gendarmes will take great delight in relieving you of lots of cash. At 30kph or more over the limit they may even confiscate your driving licence which will be posted back to the UK at their convenience. This has the effect of it being instantly illegal for you to drive in France as you must be able to produce your driving licence when requested to.

Oh, and as of May this year the French authorities can chase you for a camera-detected fine when you're back in the UK.

Sorry to sound negative, but France isn't the fun place it used to be to drive in :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom