Any Ideas Hidden Oil Leak C200K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikerho

Car
c200k sportcoupe
Recently I noticed a small engine oil leak, that small leak has grown to be quite a big oil leak!
I took the car to a trusted mech and even after having the engine cleaned we could not ascertain exactly where the oil was coming from. It appears to be between the supercharger and the engine. Does anyone
have any idea of what might be the cause of the leak? Car is 2002 C200K S Coupe Kompressor with 105K miles.
Thanks in Advance.
Mike

The typical weak point on the M271 would be the two camshaft position sensors at the front of the engine, but at the same time any seal on any engine can potentially develop a leak (including leak from the Kompressor itself)

And check the engine breathers... if blocked they could cause pressure that will burst the seals.

Thanks for the replies, The Cam position sensors are OK, Where are the "Breathers" do you have a diagram or pic?
I have the car booked in but because the Mech is on Holiday it will be another 10 days!
I notice that there is a very small amount of oil that has been leaking from the oil filler cap gasket
but it is trivial. This problem started after I put my foot down hard one evening so a blocked breather could well have
been the cause but I haven't a clue where it /they are.
Incidentally I changed the timing chain a few months ago and when I removed the Kompressor muffler there was a very
small amount of engine oil in the bottom tube, not much more than a few drops. I wondered where it might have come from.

SVLHNAKI-ANAUYMIASEVN-M271.jpg

The breather hose and valve are part of a set of pipes going from 135 to 170.

They are located under the air filter box.

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram and pic, what are the metal and plastic parts, one way valves, are these what gets blocked?
I will try and make some sense of it tomorrow. I notice that one of the rubber tubes has clips at either end, presumably
because it is under pressure?

I made an attempt at removing the airbox but the connection down to the Kompressor beat me.
I could move it enough to get some sort of visibility but even with the endoscope I could not manage
to see where the leak was. So it will be off to the mechanic next week. Then I will sell the car, I've
had enough of Mercedes Engineers from a diy perspective. I wasn't very impressed with the X3 either
but they are mere beginners compared to them.

Take the super charger off and have a look. Its the only way to see.
I doubt the breather pipes to be the cause.
There were a few 271 engines that had one of the threads of the head bolts drilled a bit too long and it leaks from the end of it.

Thanks for that titbit, I couldn't get the airbox off so I'll leave it to the mechanic next week.
I'll mention it to him. There was a fair bit of sand and crud soaked with oil in the trays under the engine and gearbox.
Maybe this is a trick to cover an oil leak. I've had the car a year and I didn't see the oil change when it was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom