Any IT guys good with ports / email etc??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebig1

Car
Mercedes C63
Hi Guys,

I have added a DVR and cameras to my house but for the life of me, can not get the email alerts to work. I just get "Unable to connect to server" when I hit the test button.

I have added the

SMPT: mail.gmx.com
PORT:587
NEED SSL: Off
USER NAME: ([email protected]) Email address of my gmx account
PASSWORD: (mypassword) Password of my email account
SENDER: ([email protected]) Email address of my gmx account
RECEIVER: (my other email account)
TITLE: Alarm Message

My DVR is connected via LAN to an old Sky Hub that I have turned off the DHCP part, changed the IP to 192.168.0.222. Then turmed off the wifi.
The hub is then connected via LAN to my active Sky HUB.
My DVR has the IP 192.168.0.250 and the port is set at HTTP:80.

On the Sky hub, I have the firewall settings so all outbound ports are open and inbound all open but sent to the DVR.

Anything I am missing or doing wrong?

gmx email needs SSL encryption enabled , it says "If "STARTTLS" is not available, please use the protocol "TLS". "

Hi,

I tried it with both SSL on and off and neither worked :0(

Hi,

I tried it with both SSL on and off and neither worked :0(

It could be that the NVR doesn't support the encryption required by the email platform. I get it a lot with printers not being able to report faults etc.

Hi,

I tried it with another email setup, qq.com who the DVR supplier has in their setup screen shots but get the same message nd they use port 25 and no SSL?

1. If the DVR getting DHCP?

If so are you able to tell which IPs the DVR is getting for Default Gateway and for DNS servers?

2. Are you able to ping the DVR from the LAN?

3. Have you tried using the SMTP server's IP instead of FQDN ( can be verified by pinging the SMTP server's FQDN)?

Hi,

I tried it with another email setup, qq.com who the DVR supplier has in their setup screen shots but get the same message nd they use port 25 and no SSL?

Port 25 is the standard SMTP port.

Some ISPs block outgoing port 25 to prevent spamming by malware.

But if your ISP does not block outgoing port 25, and if your SMTP server supports it, you can use it.

I can log in to the DVR from my laptop thats connected via WIFI to the main sky hub downstairs, thats hardwired to the HUB in the loft what the DVR is plugged into.
The DVR has a set IP that I assigned.
For the SMTP, do you mean like when I ported scanned mail.gmx.com, the port scanner (MAC) shows the ip 212.227.17.174 ?

when I port scan, I get both 25 and 587 as open at GMX.
Does this mean my ISP has these open to get a reply?

Port Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 212.227.17.174

Open TCP Port: 587 submission
Port Scan has completed…

If your laptop is on the same lan segment as the DVR, and connected extacty the same, try this.

open a CMD prompt.
type
telnet 212.227.17.174 587
press ENTER
you should see a connection get opened to the gmx smtp server

How do you mean same LAN segent?
I am on a MAC so not sure if there is a CMD prompt?

Thanks guys, your a star!

try opening terminal on your mac. as for LAN segment, really I just want you to make sure your testing from your laptop from the exact location and setup as the DVR, ie if your MAC can connect then there is no error in your setup of the network.

The DVR is before a sky hub upstairs that has wifi off and no broadband etc, trying to use it as a LAN hub. This hub is then hardwired LAN to my SKY hub downstairs thats connected to broadband etc and my MAC is WIFI to that one. From the MAC I can enter the DVR IP 192.168.0.250:80 and log on to the DVR and see the cams etc.

can you connect your MAC the same as the DVR, then try the telnet. If that doesnt work then you have a problem elsewhere and not with the DVR

Thats the hard part as MAC doesnt have ethernet :0(.
Would the port scan, where I put in the web address and port number of the emai, be as good as telnet?

all we can do is guess as we do not have access to test, so I am afraid your going to have to test things to enable further help.
Personally I feel you need to test this from the same connection as the DVR to prove your network configuration is not at fault. Testing from elsewhere does not really prove much other than your firewall is not blocking the connections.
I am not sure why your port forwarding all responses back to the DVR either, the tcp packets will contain the information needed to reply back to the originating device.

Hi,

I only did it as the Sky hub wont allow me to open any inbound channels unless I specify a LAN IP to send it too :0(

If Sky are your ISP then you'll need to send mail out from your network using their SMTP server

smtp server smtp.tools.sky.com
Port 465
username sky account [email protected]
Password sky account password
Sender: [email protected]
Reciever: email address you want notifications delivered to

If you want to get the reply address to be your GMX account then you'll need to create that as an outgoing mail choice in your Sky Yahoo Mail settings but as the notifications are presumably coming back directly to you you're not going to be that fussed about them coming from your Sky account.

Using GMX via webmail isn't an issue with the Sky smtp servers but as your video devices don't have webmail access (i.e. they don't have web browsers) you're stuck sending mail out via smtp though Sky.

I had WIFI cameras that where almost the same as my new DVR and they worked fine with the gmx smtp etc. I am just wondering if the hub is blocking?
I did create a sky email address at the begining and tried that but got the same results.

Assuming you entered the IP details into the DVR manually (ie it is not receiving IP over DHCP), check the Default Gateway IP.

This should be the LAN IP of your Internet Router.

Then, check the DNS server entries - if in doubt, enter the Google DNS IPs which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

You need to make sure first that the DVR can actually see the Internet and can resolve server names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom