Any IT guys good with ports / email etc??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

My main sky router is DHCP, would this still work when the DVR is pluged into another hub the DHCP off etc or will the DVR not do DHCP as its behind another hub?

Typically, home Internet routers (which I assume is what your 'Sky Hub' is) have one WAN port and four LAN ports.

If you want to use this device as a local hub or switch, as opposed to using it as an Internet router, then you should connect network patch leads only to the four LAN ports, but not to the WAN port.

If all your devices are connected to the LAN ports, then DHCP should not be blocked (unless the rouing is malfunctioning).

Hi Ya,

Thats exactly what I want to do. On the rear there are four Ethernet ports listed as "10/100BaseT (10/100Mbps) Ethernet connection ports x4

If you are using these four Ethernet ports, then DHCP should not be blocked.

And if you can access the DVR from a computer using a web browser, then the DVR does have an IP address.

The question is whether the DVR also has the (correct) Default Gateway and DNS servers?

I will check that out tonight.
What should these be in relation to my Sky Hub (Broadband one?)

Hi Guys,

Well I have just connected my laptop to the LAN on the hub in the same place that the DVR is connected. I then Telnet mail.gmx.com 587 and got a reply from the server so all the ports to the smtp must be good. So I think its the DVR that faulty???

if the ip, mask, gateway and dns are the same, then it would suggest the issue is with the dvr and not your setup

if the ip, mask, gateway and dns are the same, then it would suggest the issue is with the dvr and not your setup

As above, unless the DVR does not have the correct Default Gateway and/or DNS Server entries....

Without Default Gateway, the DVR will not find the Internet.

Without DNS Server, it will not find the GMX smtp server.

As for what these settings should be, they should be the same as what you currently have on the laptop that successully connected to the smtp server while on the same hub as the DVR.

Hi,

The DVR is set as:

The subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS is 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0
Media Port is 3457
HTTP Port is 80

My router is
LAN TCP/IP is 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

All look ok?

to rule out dns, not that I think you have that problem, configure the DVR with the ip address of the smtp rather than its FQDN (host.domain.tld)

Whats the best way to fing the ip of the smtp?

I can't see a Default Gateway there.

It should be 192.168.0.1 .

Without it, the DVR will not see the Internet.

Whats the best way to fing the ip of the smtp?

Ping the FQDN, e.g.:

Ping smtp.gmx.com

It will return the IP address.

Or google 'DNS Toolkit' and do this from a website online.

I pinged mail.gmx.com and I got "mail.gmx.com (212.227.17.174): 56 data bytes

I Port scanned this and got

Port Scanning host: 212.227.17.174

Open TCP Port: 465 urd
Port Scan has completed…

So, set the DVR mail settings with 212.227.17.174 as the smtp server and retry

I tried it and I still get the "Failed to connect to server"

As the gateway is acting as the DNS resolver if you've a place to put the DNS IP on the DVR use 192.168.0.1 rather than Google's addresses.

Last edited:
Hi guys, these are the settings I have for IP and Email

IP Settings.png

Email Setting.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom