Any Lawyers / Deceased Property Law Experts for Scotland ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Anyone around here a Lawyer or have experience on a Deceased persons property transfer in Scotland ?

Certainly not a lawyer but we are currently waiting on my late mums estate being finalised which includes her house, six months down the line we have just submitted the tax forms to the HMRC once returned the lawyers can then apply for conformation of her estate through the courts and only then will we be in a position to do anything with her house which will , at that point, have been lying empty for around nine months.

Kenny

Certainly not a lawyer but we are currently waiting on my late mums estate being finalised which includes her house, six months down the line we have just submitted the tax forms to the HMRC once returned the lawyers can then apply for conformation of her estate through the courts and only then will we be in a position to do anything with her house which will , at that point, have been lying empty for around nine months.

Kenny

Annoying, in that time you are having to insure the house, pay council tax, cut the grass, keep the heating on, etc, etc.

Thanks.

That's what I'm wondering if I will have to apply through the courts for a "Certificate of Confirmation" before a house left in a will could be transferred.

Pat, I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Thanks.

That's what I'm wondering if I will have to apply through the courts for a "Certificate of Confirmation" before a house left in a will could be transferred.
The above is exactly what i was told last week , i even asked if the lawyers were able to sell it on our behalf and hold the funds until confirmation was finalised but the answer was no , it needs to be done in a specific order.

To date we have kept the insurance going , heating on , lights on timers and we visit every other day to keep the junk mail from piling up behind the storm door.

Kenny

Certainly not a lawyer but we are currently waiting on my late mums estate

Im sorry to hear of the passing of your mum kenny

Know how you feel Kenny, my mother died early in the new year and luckily have the family solicitor doing all the work as he had been appointed executor. In England it seems that the solicitor was able to get the necessary power to sell the property within 6 weeks of her death, he completed the sale last week.
Think HMRC have to issue a certificate before the assets of the estate can be paid out. In my case likely to be quite a while as it looks as though one of my two sisters has decided to challenge the will.

Pat, I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Thanks, on old widowed uncle that had no kids who we have looked after for years.
He went how he would have liked, had a fish supper, quarter bottle of brandy, went to bed and didn't wake up.

The above is exactly what i was told last week , i even asked if the lawyers were able to sell it on our behalf and hold the funds until confirmation was finalised but the answer was no , it needs to be done in a specific order.

Thanks, our initial reply from solicitor was that the cost for the confirmation would be at least £1k which seemed a lot given what they would be doing.
I might run it past our company lawyer this week as they also do some family stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom