Any MCSE 2003 people around today with VPN experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
As above.

Just trying to setup a VPN on a Win2003 Standard server and have run into an issue that needs some sorting....

scotth_uk said:
As above.

Just trying to setup a VPN on a Win2003 Standard server and have run into an issue that needs some sorting....

Bit late in replying ! Whats the problem?

Paul.

We tried 2003 VPN a while back but found it doesnt do exactly what it says on the tin so we backed out and now use Cisco VPN with no issues.

What problems are you having?

Ahh... got it working in the end.

I had managed to custom configure our 1and1 hosted server to accept incoming PPTP VPN sessions, but the clients were not getting past the verifying username/password stage. Definitely getting a connection, just not completing it. Each time it would fail, XP would give a different error code.

Turns out that it was two things - 1) needed to open tcp port 1723 on client's routers for return PPTP traffic. 2) NAT was getting in the way, as I had an RDP session to the same server open from my place on another machine. Seems like the 2003 box couldn't handle the two conversations of different types to the one address.

Thanks anyway guys! :)

Even though I have to use server 2003 ent, I dont really care for it, I think you would do better in the end if you used all XP PRO SP2. MS wants us to use and push server 2003 but I really dont care for it.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom