Any ML63 experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
I'm about to sell our 2 month old M3 - I took a punt ordering one 6 months before launch as I managed to secure a very good discount. My thoughts were that I could drive one for a few months with minimal depreciation as long as BMW;

1. sold out (there is current availability, but not much) and,
2. didn't subsidise/discount too much in the first few months

The car itself is outstanding, with the only disappointment being how it sounds (especially having had a V8 M3) - it's very fast, handles and rides magnificently and it's easily the top of it's current class.

But....I've never been that excited by it as I much preferred my M6 - yes, the bigger car was less nimble but it also felt so much more special, it sounded better and was much faster (in fact, I doubt my SLS could outrun the M6). I also bought the SLS the same week that the M3 turned up, which took the shine off it a little.

I'm now at the point where, after 2 months and 4k miles in the M3, I've been offered pretty much what I paid so my punt has paid off. If I'm honest, part of the reason the M3 doesn't get much of a look-in is because it's never going to compare to the SLS - we really don't need 2 sports (or 'sporty') cars because if I want a fun drive, I'll always choose the SLS. I'm now on the search for something totally different.

My other half (who's car the M3 really is) wants either a small sports car (SLK, Boxster etc) or an SUV - we both really liked the Range Rover Sport that we had a couple of years ago. The small sports-car idea is a no-go as we need something at least mildly practical for our business, so that leaves an SUV. My preference is to get petrol, which really limits the choice.

So, for around £50k, what are the options....

The various BMW X iterations are out because I don't really like the shape of the new X5 and the old X5/6 will be even bigger depreciators than normal with new models either out or imminent.

The new Range Rover Sport is still way too expensive so it leaves either the old shape RRS Supercharged or petrol Evoque (for around £40k), or.......

I've just established I can get into a new shape ML63 for a little over £50k! Amazing value for a car that's current and £90k+ new.

Does anyone know much about these new ML63's and specifically, how they drive in comparison to other similar cars? I guess I'll find out at the weekend when I try one but if anyone here owns one with any real-life experiences, it'd be good to hear them.

Last edited:
Talk to Olly, he has one :)

Or you could get a nice unbiased opinion talking to the bloke on that other thread ;)

poormansporsche said:
Or you could get a nice unbiased opinion talking to the bloke on that other thread ;)
make sure they give you both keys!!:D

Don't know much about the ML, though do like the idea of the 63 version as I love the engines.

Bit of a left field choice here, but have you thought about a Jeep SRT8 ? Ticks most of the boxes for me: -

Huge car
Massive petrol engine
Lots of horsepower
Gross stupidity

Perhaps not the best interiors in the world, but they're functional. A low cost (relatively) alternative to the RRS perhaps?

I have no interest (or even knowledge) of the dealer in the above link. Just found on Auto Trader

Last edited:
Thank daveenty, yes I had considered one of those as I personally do like them (and that one in particular).

Problem is, at £55k it's not a cheap car compared to an old shape RRS or even new shape ML63 (with the 5.5 bi-turbo). Then, because it's less desirable to most people, it depreciates at a much higher rate, especially when you consider a £40-50k RRS/ML has already lost a huge chunk, whereas a £50k Jeep hasn't.

So, much as I like the Jeep, they're even more of a financial disaster than these type of cars typically are!

Agree on the Cayenne turbo comment, but similar age/mileage cars are at a different price point. And at their price point, I'd be all over a new shape RRS supercharged.

I don't recall many W166 ML63 BiTurbo owners bar the owner that joined up to vent his spleen about having to wait for a second key.

Although not a petrol, have you given much thought to the 6.0 V12 TDI Q7; 500bhp and 738lbs/ft torque? You should be able to pick up a 2010-ish model for your budget.

SPX said:
I don't recall many W166 ML63 BiTurbo owners bar the owner that joined up to vent his spleen about having to wait for a second key. Although not a petrol, have you given much thought to the 6.0 V12 TDI Q7; 500bhp and 738lbs/ft torque? You should be able to pick up a 2010-ish model for your budget.

Whilst on the subject of the Audi v12......

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30720

Although not a petrol, have you given much thought to the 6.0 V12 TDI Q7; 500bhp and 738lbs/ft torque? You should be able to pick up a 2010-ish model for your budget.

The Q7 V12 TDI is an awesome car. But be prepared to replace all 4 tyres every 5,000/6,000 miles of normal driving! The torque shreds them.

Ceramic brakes as standard too.

SPX said:
I don't recall many W166 ML63 BiTurbo owners bar the owner that joined up to vent his spleen about having to wait for a second key.

Lol - two turbos but only one key...

I can't comment on the W166 ML63 other than an ML63 goes very nicely with an SLS. The chap who owned Mrs D's W164 ML63 has had two AMGs for years, chopping them both in together every 2 years.

He part-exed his ML63 and SLS at the same time, and of course we bought the ML. I asked the dealer to let me know when his W166 comes in to stock :)

Spookily Mrs D only mentioned yesterday that now might be the time. We were making progress on a very bleak, wet, windy and twisty road between Exeter and Barnstaple at the time - the W164 made it easy, the W166 must make it even more so.

I think the W166 might be a car that you keep for a while. Very tuneable too ;)

I currently drive a 2013 ML63 AMG with the Performance Package. I had a C63 AMG before just to keep things in perspective.

Overall, the ML63 is an excellent daily driver (though don't expect amazing fuel consumption as with heavy traffic I am averaging about 5km per litre....that said I have a heavy foot once the traffic clears) ;-). It has a great ride, especially compared to my C63 before. It is spacious, feels luxurious, easy to drive around, park (thanks to the auto adjusting power steering -std feature), also can park itself in parallel parking spots (which is now becoming a std thing). The air suspension does a good job of smoothening the ride plus you can raise it when you do really go off road where a saloon car would never go.

The seats are bigger and comfortable. The Bi-xenon headlamps are the best I've ever used at night, they really light up a dark road very, very well. The HK sound system is also one of the best tuned I've used in a vehicle. The surround effect in new songs is quite amazing. The base is okay but of course could be better. In fact if they improved the bass, this would be the best system.

On the performance side, it can haul *ss! It is very, very quick. Feels faster than my previous C63 on the move despite the higher weight, which I believe is due to the 4 wheel drive grip and monster torque and more HP of the Bi-turbo engine. It actually disguises its weight quite well. It can also take corners very well as it has a adaptive hydraulic roll bar system that stiffens or softens depending on what you are doing and the setting you selected.

It has 3 suspension setting: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus. Then it has three transmission settings, Economy, Sport (AKA Beast Mode) and Manual (self explanatory). You can mix and match to your liking. I personally use E (gearbox) and Sport suspension for general driving, then E and Comfort suspension for very bumpy roads, then S and Sport plus suspension for a weekend sprint.

The exhaust can be quiet when just cruising with a gentle gurgle and burble as you accelerate softly then when you switch the gearbox to S mode the exhaust really comes alive with a louder sound, mini explosions on full throttle gear changes, mini explosions on hard braking as it downshifts through each gear. Some small pops when it hold the revs as you back of the throttle a bit and a good amount of low down bass when you start to accelerate! Just be warned that S mode is quite agressive in a get up and go way. I believe they should have made S and S+ as this S seems like it really is S+. LOL! So it's a big change when you put it back to E.

It does the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing very well. However, it is not the C63 in handling nor extreme fun nor extreme noise, but its that close and it beats the C63 in everyday usability & practicality with or without the family in tow.

I hope this helps!

If you want a sports orientated SUV that won't lose as much as most, it seems the Macan is your only choice at the moment. You'll just have a problem getting one at a reasonable price ;)

I hope this helps!

Thank you GMW, that was very helpful and just what I wanted :thumb:

Quick update - I've just test driven a RRS Supercharged (2012MY, so previous shape) which has thrown things a little - we had one of these in diesel form a couple of years ago and whilst we liked it, I'm surprised how much nicer the petrol version is. Also, the final facelift seems to have improved the quality considerably.

Here's the crux....the ML63 AMG is a touch over £50k, the RRS S/C is a touch under £40k. The ML would have to be amazing to be worth that extra. Given how I go through cars, and how much I rated the RRS, I think I might do the sensible thing and buy the cheaper RRS....which is about the only time you'll hear buying a Supercharged RRS as a sensible thing!

I'm still waiting for the Merc dealer to get back to me - if they do, then I'll try the ML63 at the weekend and see if it's worth the premium.

If you want a sports orientated SUV that won't lose as much as most, it seems the Macan is your only choice at the moment. You'll just have a problem getting one at a reasonable price ;)

Yes, Macan would have been top of my list if there wasn't a 12-18 month wait. All ones on sale currently seem to be at a premium which I'm not prepared to pay.

With regards the Q7 recommendations, I'm sure the V12 TDi drivetrain is amazing but the Q7 is overkill size wise.....and I'm not keen on the looks (or Audi's for that matter).

Quick update - after now seeing an ML63 in our local MB dealer showroom, I'm swaying back towards the Mercedes.

Compared to the RRS (at least at a standstill), the quality difference is substantially in the Merc's favour, the seats in the Ml63 are outstanding and on the whole, it just looks a lot more modern (which it is and is also a lot more expensive, so not a fair comparison).

I need to buy a car at the weekend as the M3 goes on Monday - it's looking like we could be getting our second AMG :)

Quick update - after now seeing an ML63 in our local MB dealer showroom, I'm swaying back towards the Mercedes.

Compared to the RRS (at least at a standstill), the quality difference is substantially in the Merc's favour, the seats in the Ml63 are outstanding and on the whole, it just looks a lot more modern (which it is and is also a lot more expensive, so not a fair comparison).

I need to buy a car at the weekend as the M3 goes on Monday - it's looking like we could be getting our second AMG :)

Well, at least it wont be bmw you are bringing to Trax event now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom