any mobile phone experts here?what to get next

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeouk

Car
2010 bmw 325d m sport coupe.......2007 transit high roof ,LWB......
im coming up to my upgrade date and want to make sure i dont make a wrong decision as i did last time. my contract is with orange, ive been with them for years and get free broadband with them because i was with wanadoo who were taken over by orange and they offered free bb to anyone with a £35 or above mobile contract, so i dont want to change the tariff im on.
Last time i upgraded i got a motarolla and hated it, so went back to the nokia 6300 id had before, im still using that now and its great, but id like a phone with wifi. I dont know whether to pay extra and go for an iphone or i like the look of the htc hero which i can get for free.
Does anyone have either of these phones, or can anyone recommend another make thats good. I just want something that looks good, has a good camera and is easy to use.

I'd recomend the Nokia E72 fantastic phone and it supports Wifi and is easy to use and the camera is excellent

Alex.

Iphone. It does everything in one slim easy to use package.

Apps are plentiful and seem to be available for just about anything you can realistically think of.

I wouldnt go back to any other sort of phone now.

Not an expert but avoid any thing called a "Blackberry", especially if its a touch screen variant

Another vote for iPhone here. HTC *shudder* - I had a dire year with an 02 XDA Ignito when I upgraded in haste. iPhone is brilliant but buy a car charger, it loves to eat battery if you use it a lot.

im also with orange and get free BB... on a £25 pm contract.... so you may not be on the best deal after all!

iphones seem the in thing nowadays, i still like my sony ericcsson w995, its still a proper phone wit ha few useful toys. I hear iphones have had alot of sound quality issues.

Do Nokia still make the 6310, I seem to remember a bronzey coloured thing I had back in the day which lasted forever and was generally brilliant until I rather unwisely upgraded to a silver 6310i
Do people really make extensive use of bb and special features on new smart phones or are they a bit of a novelty.
I know I used to use mine, Blackberry Storm, for email but I have found its all such a compromise so I have gone back to a basic Blackberry I had discarded and carry a laptop with dongle for any internet stuff I need to do.

Nowadays with such a diverse range of Cellphones, I think personal choice comes into it more, so I wouldn't advise anyone really.

All I can say is I've had a Nokia E90 for the last 18 months and was very happy, but as previouslt stated, it won't be everyones cup of tea. I'm due for an Upgrade in 2 weeks and I'm getting a HTC HD2. My wife has the iPhone, she loves it, I don't. (Plus I want something different). When it works, (the iPhone), it's great, but it hangs a lot and the blutooth is temperamental.

And as far as a stable platform, if Google have gone with the HTC platform, it can't be all that bad....... I suppose I'll find out.

Cheers, Bill.

I have had all incarnations of the iPhone and the 3gs is by far the best but it is limited, no flash support, poor reception, expensive contracts. In my humble opinion it is worth the money especially if you use an iPod at the minute and don't mind being chained to iTunes! My sister has the htc hero again a good phone and google seem to provide regular updates for the android platform.

iPhone, no contest.

..although wait for the 4GS version due out in May.

Nokia 5800.....a bit like the VW advert "its almost an Iphone"! Anyway, Vodafone gave it to me free without me needing to enter into a new contract or pay them any more money. I wanted a phone using the symbian operating system as I have Ordnance Survey GPS maps that will run on it.....Touch screen is ok and I can browse the internet too. Wont ever make use of the music functions...not my thing.

If you want something that does everything then an Android phone is going to be the way forward. Wait a couple of months for more 2.01 / 2.1 phones to come, until then I'm sticking with my blackberry.

thanks for all the replies guys.
interesting point mentioned by "e class coupe" do you have to buy music from itunes if youve got an i phone? or do you just mean you have to use it to configure your music on an i phone like you have to with an i pod?

i was thinking of buying an ipod touch, so i guess an i phone would be a sensible alternative

iPhone is a toy, Nokia N72!

thanks for all the replies guys.
interesting point mentioned by "e class coupe" do you have to buy music from itunes if youve got an i phone? or do you just mean you have to use it to configure your music on an i phone like you have to with an i pod?

i was thinking of buying an ipod touch, so i guess an i phone would be a sensible alternative

As with all iPods your tied to iTunes, you can import your own music you have on your computer or rip it from CDs you own ( but if you think you want to move from iTunes rip them to mp3 format) all iTunes music is drm free now. I use a mac not a pc and for some reason iTunes works better on a mac I find.An iPhone is basically an iPod touch with a phone built in.

i've had a few Blackberry's first the 8100 pearl then i upgraded to the 9000 Bold when i first had a Blackberry i thought it was difficult to use and over complicated for the first week i swore at it now i swear by it ! and now i wouldnt go back to anything else, iwith plenty of applications and very easy to use (once you get used to them) and as a bonus i have the cradle for the Mercedes (£166.00) so it's all intergrated into the car, Very happy with it, but it all depends what your looking for from a phone

I have a BB Bold for business which works great, it replaced a Nokia e71.

I just moved from an HTC Magic using Android, while I liked it initially it started to hack me off. I also missed a decent camera for those moments when I dont have my DSLR with me. I thought long and hard about what I wanted based on what's important. Everyone and their dog was telling me to get an Iphone but I've never seen a decent photo yet to be taken using one. I was considering waiting for a different Android handset then thought about the Apps and do I really use them. Sure they're great for a novely but I have SatNav in the car, Gmail and Facebook are on most phones these days and do I really care how loud my farts are??? I also found that I was spending all my life with a phone in my hands, picking up when I had emails, texts, calls, playing with this and that. ENOUGH!:wallbash:

I concluded that I wanted a good handset with a solid camera and went for the Satio. I found a few forums where I was able to hack it and updated the firmware to the new stable release and I totally love it. The camera is incredible - 12meg, and it can get Apps if needed from the Nokia OVI store.

Have a good think about what's important, you're gonna have it for 18-24 months. If you really want the iPhone then wait for new model and see how/if it's improved.

Toys and gadgets are amazing but dont get carried away like I usually tend to. :eek:

im coming up to my upgrade date and want to make sure i dont make a wrong decision as i did last time. my contract is with orange, ive been with them for years and get free broadband with them because i was with wanadoo who were taken over by orange and they offered free bb to anyone with a £35 or above mobile contract, so i dont want to change the tariff im on.
Last time i upgraded i got a motarolla and hated it, so went back to the nokia 6300 id had before, im still using that now and its great, but id like a phone with wifi. I dont know whether to pay extra and go for an iphone or i like the look of the htc hero which i can get for free.
Does anyone have either of these phones, or can anyone recommend another make thats good. I just want something that looks good, has a good camera and is easy to use.
Just a quick suggestion whilst i'm surfing threads. Go for the I-phone, it will do everything you want it to and more. Wife got HTC and it keeps breaking, Son got I-phone and its amazing, will be trading my Soul, at contract update.

will be trading my Soul, at contract update.

Every time I sign up for another 18 mths it feels like I've done a deal with the devil again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom