Any Motorbikers out there in the South East?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd get something like a CB500 as your first bike after the test. A few years back, the attrition rate among born-again bikers on fast big bikes was very high. They'd not ridden for years, and went out and bought race-reps or muscle bikes. They thought: "Christ this is so much better than my old Triumph/Norton/BSA", gave their new bikes a good handful of wellie, and - without realising it until it was too late - found themselves in situations which neither their riding skills, nor the brakes and handling of their new bikes, superb though they might be, could get them out of.

I rather think there are still a fair number of single-bike accidents, no other vehicle involved, or accidents where the rider overcooks it and hits another vehicle.

I'd get something like a CB500 as your first bike after the test. A few years back, the attrition rate among born-again bikers on fast big bikes was very high. They'd not ridden for years, and went out and bought race-reps or muscle bikes. They thought: "Christ this is so much better than my old Triumph/Norton/BSA", gave their new bikes a good handful of wellie, and - without realising it until it was too late - found themselves in situations which neither their riding skills, nor the brakes and handling of their new bikes, superb though they might be, could get them out of.

I rather think there are still a fair number of single-bike accidents, no other vehicle involved, or accidents where the rider overcooks it and hits another vehicle.

No intention of buying a race rep or a muscle bike, i really don't want to be another statistic.

The CB500 is also in the mix, but the more reviews I read of mid size bikes, the more confused I become :D

As someone else has said, I need to ride a few.

Hahaha, just read up on that, looks like a fun bike. not quite what i have in mind for a first big bike though.:D

I did a direct entry back in 2004 and went against the grain completely for a first big bike and got a KTM Duke 2, had that for a couple of years and got a V twin Tuono, then a triumph 1050 speed triple. I currently have a V4 Tuono and KTM 690 smcr.

What I'm really saying is get whatever you want as a first bike, it is only as fast as you twist the throttle:)

If I was buying a new mid range bike I'd be thinking retro, simple and reasonably light. A Guzzi V7 meets those criteria and would be on the short list.

I have a few bikes, Suz GSX-R750 for track, Yam MT-09 Tracer for touring/everyday which replaced (but I still haven't sold) Triumph Street Triple R and a little MSX125 for the 3 miles to and from work.

Love riding bikes, and I moved up from my 125 to an SV650S. Great bike and would highly recommend it. Working in the bike trade it is a very popular and well praised bike as a first 'big' bike. Loads of the about, and lots of spares in case anything does happen.

Had a few bikes over the years, CBR1100 x2, ZX12R and Varadero 1000, all good in their own ways, if they still made the Blackbird i would probably go back to it. Looking at getting another one soon and hadn't looked at MT-09, but looks quite nice, may have to see it in the flesh.

Again as many have said, the dangers are the rider, other road users and not the bike, the bike is more capable than the rider (in most cases).

Whatever you get you will enjoy it.

Just to close this out, I failed MOD 1, due to locking up the back brake momentarily on the emergency stop, automatic fail.

Passed it second time and passed MOD 2 first time.

I have just managed to pick up an immaculate 07 plate Suzuki DL650 VSTROM with ABS and luggage, with only 13k on the clock.

Really enjoying it so far.

-adsGBmbd8rkxK3UkaN905gQ-sd7WcG0AFTYNBsxSbs9SeAvPRzFAXfv4huMVh0QhvhWq8uFLGCvIRtmDCfefe4hNatS0PTxDWri3jl-JX51PWaHUF4FZFFdnz_EGEZjULHJRyqo-Hj_I6iJBIhzn8ccVg0SAlB2B1JFGVKR6aLttg4Hlt7kkOb3Iw93AZAWcAe7HCoj2p85m_CHOmmYPRi15iyLJSOFOFYsR-GxYly-MkyhJuuFMV1-JRKXIFyb8Ss55zhsUat2CzqiPH65GQCjivu_VaP1vosNCyugQIGKAfQ_uWoKDUXnPpdfoD_gM6TAWWtXnB6qgl845OLndjL1xZBUgCOtE1i36ikLGZOciBdELF9ggKJtXNfI2f4aRAO8HoZ0a4_ZIYConsvc4FAg5LPWp3hOFVcjkdDFoWWOASim5ZYB5VCmq3n_sVH2hpqfXOwtjraeH5gukenlPiHTKi2jGMaOr8eZjWz7eK-asEUp7yyuwCnBH9nAaUKoow2qofKby7-R3UtnxtcIkEbtfkjuMUxAnxC-gic3_XAp4rrP0tl5AUfWA_U5I9SKwUnDWF72efoq7rz7L8U5cte9Rt0enQgFM0Drp_KiLgiGlgMjYC46=w747-h558-no

Last edited:
There is a more diverse selection in bikes than in cars. You are the only one who can make the decision as to what to go for.
I've always had a bike from the age of 16 and I lived 300' above all my mates. Getting to see them on a push bike was easy! Coming home was a drag;)
So in nearly 50 years of riding I've had almost every sort of bike and never fallen off on the road....I left that to riding on circuit.:eek:
Not sure that me or my bikes have got any more sensible over the years, the last 3 being a Tuono Factory(!) a CBR400RR (restored from the back of the garage) and now a much more sensible little twist and go Honda....with panniers...and 170bhp...
Can you tell what it is yet?:dk:

Ride as many as you can, make your own mind up and be prepared for your tastes to change.
Happy riding days:D

Nice one on passing the tests.. Just in time for the summer once this area of three low pressures stop hammering rain down.

and now a much more sensible little twist and go honda....with panniers...and 170bhp...
Can you tell what it is yet?:dk:

vfr1200f?

Crazy? Yeah:D

But such good fun, labour saving in urban areas and with all sorts of options how to change gears:cool:
I love the technology, but I can understand if some don't think it is 'pure' motorcycle 'style':dk:

Crazy? Yeah:D

But such good fun, labour saving in urban areas and with all sorts of options how to change gears:cool:
I love the technology, but I can understand if some don't think it is 'pure' motorcycle 'style':dk:

I agree the tech is amazing, and i would love to try one.

My first mission though is to master a manual:D

I think you have made a very sound first choice:thumb:

Just be aware that it won't be your last;)

:) ....as a little project I bought a Yamaha Trailway TW125 a couple of weeks ago.

Bought as a non runner from local bike dealership, with an electrical problem, well Ive started by checking through the loom, to find some truly hideous 'repairs'....

Wires twisted together and electrical taped.
Bits of loom with undersized wiring let in to it.
Switches full of corrosion, stripped cleaned and checked ok - the main ignition switch was still giving weird variable resistance readings, so I've ordered a new one.

The fun continues......

Flyinspanner said:
:) ....as a little project I bought a Yamaha Trailway TW125 a couple of weeks ago. Bought as a non runner from local bike dealership, with an electrical problem, well Ive started by checking through the loom, to find some truly hideous 'repairs'.... Wires twisted together and electrical taped. Bits of loom with undersized wiring let in to it. Switches full of corrosion, stripped cleaned and checked ok - the main ignition switch was still giving weird variable resistance readings, so I've ordered a new one. The fun continues......

I wrote one of these off in Skiathos in 1993 ending up with a small branch stabbing me in the gut,breaking a rib and my collar bone. I still have a lump sticking up from left shoulder up cannot carry rolls of lead, scaffold tubes, buckets of cement etc on it. I am pretty sure the bike was a Suzuki.

A similar Suzuki would be the VanVan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom