ANY MOTORCYCLE mechanics on here? Triumph 955i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
ANY MOTORCYCLE mechanics on here? Triumph 955i?

Some of you on here know i purchased a 2003 955i Daytona. Its primitive 3 cylinder fuel injection

Has a Water temp sensor, Air intake sensor, top of the Airbox, Cam sensor, Crank sensor, TPS sensor Idle control valve and a Map sensor in the ECU, 3 Coils and a Lambda sensor.

Basically i cannot get it to run correctly. When you blip the throttle the RPM go's up then comes down and the bike immediately cuts out.
When it cuts out it smells of Raw fuel. SO i believe it over fuels and wets the plugs to much.

No error codes,

Full service new, Fuel filter, Fuel pump, Fuel Reg, Air filter Plugs. Checked for vacuum leaks.

Replaced all the sensors apart from cam and crank.

Confused......

Although the sensors have been changed it could be the wiring back to the ecu that's at fault, try tracing the wires back and see if you have similar resistance at the ecu end as you do at the sensor. I'd start with the temp sender.

Have you tried running it with sensors unplugged to try and narrow it down? I don't know this era of Triumph at all well to know if they will default values for unplugged sensors, but I would certainly try unplugging coolant temp and O2 (individually) to start with.

Martin.

A quick Google ( example thread here ) suggests the bike is fitted with an OBD-II socket, and diagnostics use a typical protocol that can be read by an OBD-II scanner. I have never seen an OBD-II socket on any of my bikes (my newest is a 2014 Yamaha), so may be a US market only thing, but if not - might help narrow it down.

Martin

Last edited:
A friend had a modern triumph Bonneville, that has an OBD socket, think it may be under the seat?

Hi Peeps, Thankyou for the replies,

Yes it has a obd 2 socket which ive code read and nothing is stored in there.

Yep i did on 2, And so far its looking like ECU,

Yep i did on 2, And so far its looking like ECU,
You might be able to use TuneEcu software to look at the sensors / maps on your ecu.
I do software/hardware for the 16m ecu found in Ducati/MV/Guzzi but unfortunately nothing for your triumph..

I had a Speed Triple with the same 955cc triple some years ago. It had similar cutting out problems & was finally diagnosed to an intermittent sidestand cut out switch.

Does the dash not flash (the engine light,or something else) a certain number of times, like morse code? Giving you a fault reading.
I know a lot of bikes do that.

Does the dash not flash (the engine light,or something else) a certain number of times, like morse code? Giving you a fault reading.
No buddy, It uses a OBD2 cable the ecu stores the codes which i can pull using my laptop.

Quite a few of the older bikes have that system (my 1984 Kawasaki Z1300 injection does), but bikes of the last 20 years or so with FI use the same OBD system as cars.

My bikes are enduro bikes, pretty basic stuff, but all mine and my friends bikes are new and have that system.
Just thought it might help 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom