any mushroom experts amongst us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
anyone identify these please?

Attachments

• mushroom1.jpg
    mushroom1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 61
  • mushroom2.jpg
    mushroom2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 59
Looks like a Boletus of some sort, possibly Bay Bolete. If it is then it's edible. Many Boletus are edible, some are not and some are considered poisonous. Your picture is not good enough for identification. I've gathered and eaten many wild fungi but the best thing you can do at first is learn to identify the dangerous ones, perhaps go on one of the many field courses that abound at this time of year. This site looks like an interesting reference Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference .

Last edited:
I have higher res images which I can send people if they PM an email address.

I only ask because there are proabably 70 or so of these mushrooms growing on the grass outside work.

I have higher res images which I can send people if they PM an email address.

I only ask because there are proabably 70 or so of these mushrooms growing on the grass outside work.
I wouldn't want to be responsible for ID'ing these for you and then you getting ill. Best to spend some time on the reference sites first. Often the tree species growing nearby can help you ID as many fungi have a symbiotic relationship with certain trees.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for ID'ing these for you and then you getting ill. Best to spend some time on the reference sites first. Often the tree species growing nearby can help you ID as many fungi have a symbiotic relationship with certain trees.

understand that completely...trees are silver birches.

What colour are the gills?

I know a little about our fungal friends and have a phrase I always use:-

"If you thinks it's edible, it isn't. If you're certain it's edible, it is"

Two of the deadliest (Death Cap and Destroying Angel) look like typical inoffensive mushrooms you'd pick and eat. Panther Cap varieties will cause severe illness and may be fatal. The Ink Cap tastes very good (as does the Death Cap!) but will cause severe illness when consumed with alcohol :eek:

Here's a guide to ten of the most poisonous fungi you may find in the UK

understand that completely...trees are silver birches.
Assuming a spongy underside as opposed to gills I would say they are likely Birch Boletes, Leccinum scabrum . If they are, then they are edible and quite tasty. But for goodness sake be sure of your identification prior to consuming!

Leccinum scabrum, Brown Birch Bolete, identification

Had to laugh, 2 Polish truck drivers came and picked half the mushrooms yesterday afternoon. I guess they new what they were picking!

Had to laugh, 2 Polish truck drivers came and picked half the mushrooms yesterday afternoon. I guess they new what they were picking!

Perhaps they'd made an enemy somewhere and wanted to cook him a nice meal ? Think Clint Eastwood in "The Beguiled"

Had a nice omelette with a few of these this evening.

Delicious.

Bolet_Orange_02.jpg

Try mycotopia.net - these are fun guys to hang around with.

magic ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom