Any one been to Iran

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by flango, Oct 7, 2008.

1. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Hi All

I have been offered some work by a client based in Iran,it means going over there for an 8 day period but staying in good hotels and major cities, mainly based out of Tehran. Now I know there is a load of b******t printed in the press and the US P**s them of big time but has anybody on here actually been as I would welcome your feedback and any do's or don'ts. I'm well aware it is a strict muslim country and totally dry but I've no issues with that. Any experiences welcome

Thanks, Ian

2. The G.F.P

The G.F.P Hardcore MB Enthusiast

my mates ex is from there and they went there recently (not sure how long ago) and he said all the BS that the papers & such scumbags is ott

im sure it was between invasion I & II

lovly place with lovly people

but would i go there?

would i B******S

like when people climb mt everest and die then wish they had not gone, i dont goto or do stupid things so ATM im not dead

3. kikkthecat

kikkthecat Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
    Geoff Hann is the man to speak to.
    He runs a company called Hinterland Travel. They organise package tours to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Beruit etc. You'll get honest information.
    You have PM with contact details

4. coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    sorry I havnt been to iran and I probably never will but if you go then good luck and keep out of trouble. stay indoors when your not working and watch videos and read [I know I sound like a wittling old washer woman ] I once went on a stag weekend to Blackpool and thought I was in Iran --- or was it Beirut

5. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    My Dad has been a couple of times and he says it's fine. The media do hype things up a lot, you should be safe in Tehran if you stick to the major hotel chains. Tehran is supposed to be more liberal (although as you said it's a Muslim country).

My ex-Boss was based in Iran when the revolution in the 70's took place - now he had some interesting stories about how things changed and how quickly they had to leave...

6. PXW

PXW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
    I've not visited but I've done work in Iran and I have sent staff members there. At the time (between Gulf Wars 1 and 2 again) there was strict adherence to muslim dress code whilst outside, but once in the offices the women quickly got rid of the long black garb and just wore the normal western clothes they had on underneath.

When travellling or sending staff to strange places I always refer to the FCO website - here's the link for Iran. It's kept very up to date. Oh, and a note of the address/phone number for the local consul is a good idea:)

7. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    If you do go; and I see no reason why not as people the world over are mostly the same - just want to get on with life - will you need a second passport? Do you have an Israeli visa in your current one.

you will find the 2 don't mix at border controls.

other than that go and enjoy the place.

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I had a mate who went on a lovely river cruise in Iran, they had to swap boats in the middle of the trip mind you which he said was a bit strange and from there on the hotels were total dumps.

he thought it must have been a popular destination because there seemed to be loads of tv cameras filming all the time but he hasnt seen the piece some out on Holiday yet.

he stayed for a couple of weeks and didnt pay a penny! and if that wasnt enough they gave him a free suit to fly home in.:)

9. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Pedestrian
    I've only ever flown over, never landed there.

10. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    Someone else mentioned having two passports if you need to travel extensively in the Middle East / Israel & the US. Can you still get this, do you just need to apply to the passport office and explain your work / travel requirements or is there a different process?

11. PXW

PXW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 350 bluetec AMG night edition prem+
    When I got my two passports I had a letter from my company confirming my business requirements for both. That was enough, and IRIC there is a box on the passport application form for another passport number.

12. OP
    OP
    flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Thanks I already have 2 passports from my previous job as a Turkish stamp is a no go if you want to go to Greece and vice versa as well

13. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    And what will Turkey do when they want full EU membership:D . Access all areas and all that.

14. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    My father used to travel extensively in the middle-east in the 70's and 80's as a Telecoms Engineer for Databit-Siemens. Found that having an Irish passport made movement a lot easier than for his English colleagues, he was stopped much more infrequently and subject to far less questioning.

15. tim.100

tim.100 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    202&463
    Really? THY (Turkish airlines) operate regular services between Istanbul and Athens. I've used it.

16. OP
    OP
    flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    do you have a turkish stamp in your pasport though? They have now stopped doing it but did not used to be the case many years ago

17. tim.100

tim.100 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    202&463
    Turkish visas are still a self adhesive stamp in your passport. I got my latest in September 08.

The only change is that they are now multiple re-entry, and valid for 90 days, not 30.

18. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Hi Iain - Just seen the scotland gtg thread, best of luck with this.

Tags: