Any one hired a narrow (or wide) boat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
After a chat at the weekend, myself, the other half and 2 friends are thinking of hiring something around March next year.

Any one done something like this? I'm thinking a canal in the north possibly.

Any advise regarding hire companies or routes I'm all ears!

Particularly interested if there is derelict industry/buildings for exploration.:eek:

Years ago we did the Avon, from Tewkesbury to just past Stratford and back. That was pretty good - lots of locks though!

Several times,and now own a share in a 60ft at heritage marina on the Macclesfield.
Its fantastic,im sure I even talk slower when aboard.
It will take longer to reach your destination than planned
You will be very tired some days.
You will see kingfishers.

Need a bit more info to answer your questions.

don't over stretch your self on destination, you can lose a couple of hours at a lock if there is a que.
How many will drive the boat?
Some quite good route planners on line to help with the itinery.

Even a dated boat will be dear to hire but a really nice one will be a fortune.

Not the part of the country you're looking for (Avon and Kennet), but we have had some good last minute deals here.

As said, don't be too ambitious in journey distances, otherwise you will find locks and mooring in busy spots frustrating. Remember to slow down to a walking pace when passing other moored boats, otherwise the wash will upset their drinks (you won't travel much faster anyway)!

It's a nice relaxing way to travel, away from the rush and hassle of the motorways, don't be in a hurry to get anywhere though just enjoy the journey. Did a section of the Thames a good few years ago in a 24ft, Had good weather and it was brilliant.

We've done it[hired boat] several times and I can only echo these comments;

Its fantastic,im sure I even talk slower when aboard. Incredibly relaxing!

It will take longer to reach your destination than planned - unless you have a destination in mind just go with the flow! We always had a destination in mind - the black lion on the caldon was one[my wife went with her parents on a narrow boat as a child] - it was shut when we got there at 1430 - came straight back!!

You will be very tired some days. - yes - I'm not an early riser but sometimes we were under way at seven and still going at dusk!
You will see kingfishers..... and herons and grebes and water voles - lovely to see - you hardly see any of them unless on the water

don't over stretch your self on destination, you can lose a couple of hours at a lock if there is a que. - you need to use what are called lock miles - every lock is on average the same as travelling a mile - 12 - 20 lock miles a day - less if a half term/bank holiday etc due to the queues at locks

How many will drive the boat? .... and work the locks - two 'locking' is a lot quicker than one - I always 'drove' my good lady and the kids did the locks.

Some quite good route planners on line to help with the itinery. Use a Nicholson - excellent reading - plan well in advance

Even a dated boat will be dear to hire but a really nice one will be a fortune. Try Chas Hardern at Beeston(in Cheshire NOT Nottingham) - not the newest boats but relatively cheap, really helpful and friendly people. We've done the Llangollen - breathtaking, the Shroppie - very nice and relaxing - good pubs, and the Trent & Mersey/Caldon - brilliant engineering but a hard slog, from Beeston all week long trips. Weve also done the the river Trent/Trent & Mersey from Nottingham to the staffs and worcestor canal.

Enjoy!

We've done the Llangollen - breathtaking,

That was my first ever canal holiday at about 7 years old. The memories that stick are, falling in between the front of the boat and the lock hard standing when jumping off to set the lock, my Father falling in while piloting the boat..??

Sitting on the outer edge of the boat going over the pontcysyllte aqueduct overlooking the 3" ledge and 180' drop.

5480006_orig.jpg

Loads of canal and river holidays since. Renting costs a bomb, but it's cheaper than owning.

For four novice people I would rent a 40' narrow boat, possibly somewhere like Shipley and try to do a circular route if possible. Try to find interesting features to visit or pass by or through, staircase locks or long flights add interest for me.
Bingley five rise, the rise above Dudley tunnel, Foxton locks and inclined plane, the Anderton lift, are a treat, or traveling through Birmingham. (There are more miles of canal the Black Country than in Venice and it's safe now the "Pirating" seems to have stopped :crazy:).

You really need two weeks to cover a decent distance.

Some years ago, we used to rent 4 * 70' Ex FMC campers and take over the waterways. The sheer size and draught of them meant you really did get right of way. :D

Last couple of years myself and a couple of mates have had a sailing/boozy weekend on the Norfolk Broads, excellent time sailing over to Norwich for a night out.

Another thought. We hired a boat from Canal Boat Holidays - Narrowboat Hire - Cheshire Barge Hire on the Bridgewater Canal near the M56 and went south through the Prestonbrook Tunnel and past the Anderton Boatlift to Middlewich where we turned west on the Middlewich cut and eventually onto the Shropshire Union Canal and thence to Chester. Had a great time and Chester gives you a nice destination to head for.

It'll be cold and bleak if the Thames in March is anything to go by.

Thanks for all the input so far.:thumb: Sounds great.

My mate Dave (some of you may have met him at gtgs) and myself will share the driving and locks, the other halfs will be doing more of the relaxing side of things.

We don't plan on rushing anywhere or having any targets as such, we will be stopping off for walks etc and will be taking wet suits and underwater camera gear:D

We are not ruling out any area really, just would prefer driving 3 hours or less to get there.
Wouldn't mind getting a cruiser on the broads but might do that in the summer.

Wetsuits ?!

Conceivably in March , parts of the canal network could still be frozen over !

They're also not renowned for their water clarity lol

Last edited:
We don't plan on rushing anywhere or having any targets as such, we will be stopping off for walks etc and will be taking wet suits and underwater camera gear
Hi, Having dived in the thames I don't think the underwater camera's
will be a lot of good, you can hardly see your hand in front of your face.
Also dived in the River Loddon in the snow and frost, apart from being bloody freezing the visibility is not good in rivers.

Wetsuits ?!

Conceivably in March , parts of the canal network could still be frozen over !

They're also not renowned for their water clarity lol

+

=

This was the clearest water I saw!! I'd leave the wet suits at home, as he won't have been the first, and locks aren't the only place where people queue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom