Any one used LED bulbs in W124 .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Anyone on the forum used LED bulbs in the W124 head lights in p;lace of H4 without any problems ? i know they are canbus free but any other issues ?

Won't work well in a standard halogen reflector.

for use in projector lights or Xenon replacement only,otherwise you will scatter light everywhere dazzling on coming vehicles

Sold for off road use only(600k ones)

Not legal for UK roads.

Look good,nice white light but you will see stars if you look too long,:cool::)

Martyz thanks So your answer is no and LED are not to be used ? I recon some one as used them .

Of course they have but it's quite clear that they are illegal and could fail an MOT if the tester detected they were fitted.

There has been a huge number of poor quality Chinese led bulbs on the market for years and while some have improved considerably, there seems little prospect that any will ever be made legal because an automotive giant like Philps made a considerable effort to get their LEDs approved and failed. They still sell them with this caveat:

It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements.

I assume the Philips leds will be amongst the best available as regards beam pattern and they should be because they cost anywhere between £70 -£100 a pair. LED Headlight Bulbs, Car Headlights | Philips automotive

For what it's worth I'd consider fitting LED bulbs if it wasn't for the stupidity of canbus requirements negating all of the efficiency improvement. For the last two cars I've been happy enough with enhanced halogen bulbs like Osram silver stars or similar.

190 I am a member in the Mercedes forum in the USA and one of the member on there told me Sylvania Silver Star .
I checked Ebay over here and i found nothing to match that type of bulb . So maybe i have the make wrong .
I will look for Osram Silver Star now .. thanks to both martyz and 190 for this information .

If you're looking for ugraded performance (rather than just a whiter light), look at Osram Nightbreakers.

Anyone on the forum used LED bulbs in the W124 head lights in p;lace of H4 without any problems ? i know they are canbus free but any other issues ?
Technically they invalidate your insurance because they are not type approved. Osram Nightbreakers are the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom