Any Opticians - Idiot Alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have a really nice pair of RayBan Wayfarer frames with Ziess (sic) vario-focal lenses which are also photo-chromatic and anti glare.

These were expensive. Unfortunately my mate Dave has been shoving them in his pocket without first placing them in their case. Naughty Dave.

Now it appears that he has damaged the lenses.

Can these lenses be re-polished?

I think we can all see through this! :)

Are you sure that it was Dave that did it - or is anyone else in the frame?

It's getting difficult to see the wood for the trees in here.

FYI: Optician is quoting £418 for new lenses. They say that they cannot repair the coating as it effects the actual lense.

They are correct - they are polished to a certain lense type, re-polishing will change that.

Were these lenses glass or plastic?

Does anyone remember the thread where someone asked if it would be possible to buy two jackets in a small size to make one in a large?

Only.... this thread has a similar resemblance? :D

Only.... this thread has a similar resemblance? :D

Nah,this one is not even close to the two jacket one :D:D

They are correct - they are polished to a certain lense type, re-polishing will change that.

Were these lenses glass or plastic?

Sp!ke. They are plastic and the frames came in a bag of small crunchy sweets with a detachable nose and moustache ;ˆ)

What I wanted to say but didn't manage to say was:

It is the coating that has rubbed off rather than been scratched. I had hoped it may be possible to apply a new coating.

Folks

I have a really nice pair of RayBan Wayfarer frames with Ziess (sic) vario-focal lenses which are also photo-chromatic and anti glare.

These were expensive. Unfortunately my mate Dave has been shoving them in his pocket without first placing them in their case. Naughty Dave.

Now it appears that he has damaged the lenses.

Can these lenses be re-polished?

If that's how they're spelt, they're fake anyway, so don't worry too much!

Nah,this one is not even close to the two jacket one :D:D

Agreed. Bruce is entertaining, but knowingly so. The famous two jacket man was either a genius, or entirely devoid of understanding of quite how stupid he was. My money's on the latter.

What I wanted to say but didn't manage to say was:

It is the coating that has rubbed off rather than been scratched. I had hoped it may be possible to apply a new coating.
If it's just the anti-reflective (AR) coating that's damaged, then some types can be removed by an optical lab. Whether they can re-coat the lenses again is a different matter.

Google turned up Sinclair Optical Services who provide optical lens coatings. Maybe worth a call?

ETA: Just turned up these guys: Spectrum Coatings whose pricelist offers stripping of existing coatings as well as putting coatings on.

Last edited:
If it's just the anti-reflective (AR) coating that's damaged, then some types can be removed by an optical lab. Whether they can re-coat the lenses again is a different matter.

Google turned up Sinclair Optical Services who provide optical lens coatings. Maybe worth a call?

ETA: Just turned up these guys: Spectrum Coatings whose pricelist offers stripping of existing coatings as well as putting coatings on.

Just emailed Spectrum Coatings. Thanks for finding that.

Not too sure on the two jacket thread. Any resemblance too my specs question was lost on me ;ˆ)

If you can't get them recoated, have new lenses made by an optical lab. They are much cheaper than the opticians...who then have the lab make them.

Having just seen the owner of our local lab driving in his Porsche 997 convertible, I reckon there is still money to be made even at wholesale prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom