Any other watch fans on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone fancy a nice Bulova that's been to the Moon and back?

The Moon watch, along with a "detailed five-page letter of authenticity", will be auctioned on 22 October as part of the The Space and Aviation Autograph and Artifact Auction. The minimum bid is $50,000.

Given that the "attitude controller assembly" used by Scott to land the Apollo 15 Falcon lunar module sold for a cool $610,000 in May last year, RR Auction is reasonably predicting the Bulova could hit $1m. ®

Bootnote
*Omega explains: "When NASA chose this watch, they requested a hesalite crystal, which, unlike a sapphire crystal, does not break into tiny fragments on impact. This feature is very important for astronauts, as the tiny fragments of a broken sapphire crystal would pose a danger in a zero-gravity environment."

I love watches - I can be found over on the Watch Turf forum, feel free to come and say hello! I've got a TT Sub, Seiko Kinetic, gold pocket watch, vintage Goldsmiths watch, several Polar HRM wrist units, etc... I also have a soft spot for nice writing implements, e.g. Yard-o-Led.

Still not sure about them Lee, though that could tempt me. What model number is that one? Very unfamiliar with Panerai still, need a Pepsi GMT and a JLC Reverso in my head at the moment...

Well, quoting myself here, but just treated myself to a Rolex GMT. Unfortunately it's not the Pepsi one I was after, but the newer Blue/Black one with the ceramic bezel. Right price and right time really, though still need a Pepsi bezelled one. File picture below, mine arrives tomorrow hopefully. :bannana:

Rolex-GMT-Master-II-Blue-Cerachome-c-Perpetuelle-620x826.jpg

I like good watches too I have a Omega Seamaster Professional and a Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch,I use the Seamaster as a everyday watch.

I like good watches too I have a Omega Seamaster Professional and a Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch,I use the Seamaster as a everyday watch.

Everyone should have a moon watch at some stage in their life, a lovely yet practical thing. Mine's not seen daylight for months so, prompted by your post, I may just put it on tomorrow but just know I'll forget to wind it. :D

My 1998 Seamaster has stopped, so has headed off to Omega for some not inexpensive tender loving care. The joys of chronometer ownership...

At least it will come back with a new lease of life, although I am half expecting the 'your watch requires these additional parts sir' phonecall anytime soon.

What's everyone's thoughts on Graham watches ?

What's everyone's thoughts on Graham watches ?

Don't know much about them personally, though the ones I've seen are a bit loud for me.

Remembered reading about them somewhere, and just found THIS REVIEW for you. It is on Piston Heads, so you may get some interesting comments. :D

Don't know much about them personally, though the ones I've seen are a bit loud for me.

Remembered reading about them somewhere, and just found THIS REVIEW for you. It is on Piston Heads, so you may get some interesting comments. :D

The chronofighter and the overlord type ones are too bulky and in your face for me too.

I was thinking along the lines of a Silverstone GMT

I think I may have read that before in my search , I realise that Graham's aren't really that sell-on-able , but something about the silver stone appeals to me , so if I can find one at the right price , it will be a keeper.

That PH thread has just made me spit my coffee :D

Very funny

Well, quoting myself here, but just treated myself to a Rolex GMT. Unfortunately it's not the Pepsi one I was after, but the newer Blue/Black one with the ceramic bezel. Right price and right time really, though still need a Pepsi bezelled one. File picture below, mine arrives tomorrow hopefully. :bannana:

Rolex-GMT-Master-II-Blue-Cerachome-c-Perpetuelle-620x826.jpg

I don't do Rolex, but if you want a quick Pepsi fix these are excellent value (particularly from the Far East, it's a £300 tickle in the UK):

Seiko Kinetic Diver's Watch 200m SKA369P1 SKA369P SKA369

I have one on my wrist as I type, and it's a great beater. A big solid lump of stainless, it shrugs off the knocks and of course being Kinetic it keeps excellent time and it's practically maintenance-free.

Cheers,

Gaz

A couple of my more interesting watches below as everyone knows about Rolex.

I also have a CWC 1982 armed forces issue Gulf War period watch, which are now quite rare and collectable for this particular year 1982.
Mine is same as pictured below, but fitted with a Seiko stainless steel strap and was offered £100 by a local dealer when I had the battery replaced a month ago.
I decided then it was worth a lot more and therefore will keep it.

$_3.JPG

My bargain of the year is this watch below that I purchased in Torremolinos, Spain last month for 2 Euros (£1.50),
which is amazing as you can't even get a battery fitted in a watch for that price in the UK, and it does keep good time. :)
20151008_182815-1_zpsnok4fea9.jpg

I don't do Rolex, but if you want a quick Pepsi fix these are excellent value (particularly from the Far East, it's a £300 tickle in the UK):

Seiko Kinetic Diver's Watch 200m SKA369P1 SKA369P SKA369

I have one on my wrist as I type, and it's a great beater. A big solid lump of stainless, it shrugs off the knocks and of course being Kinetic it keeps excellent time and it's practically maintenance-free.

Cheers,

Gaz

Appreciated Gaz, but I've been offered a 16700 or a 16710 from a friend who's a dealer in these things. Not decided which one yet, but probably the earlier one. Typical really, been after one for ages with nothing I fancied coming up then as soon as I buy something else two of them appear. :D

A couple of my more interesting watches below as everyone knows about Rolex.

I also have a CWC 1982 armed forces issue Gulf War period watch, which are now quite rare and collectable for this particular year 1982.
Mine is same as pictured below, but fitted with a Seiko stainless steel strap and was offered £100 by a local dealer when I had the battery replaced a month ago.
I decided then it was worth a lot more and therefore will keep it.

A friend of mine has one of those, though his is a mechanical one. He was RN for many years and I think he got his in the Falklands campaign. If a dealer offered £100 then it must be worth a fair bit more.
wink.gif

My bargain of the year is this watch below that I purchased in Torremolinos, Spain last month for 2 Euros (£1.50),
which is amazing as you can't even get a battery fitted in a watch for that price in the UK, and it does keep good time. :)

Ideal holiday watch, makes no difference if it gets lost or damaged at that price. I've just paid more than that for a couple of Renata batteries.
biggrin.gif

Yes owning good watches like the Moonwatch is great I just had the Seamaster serviced expensive but they replace any parts that are worn,I never post the watch I took it as the Omega service dept is at Hockley Essex,they will show you round the place and they have a great display of watches.

I've got a Bulova Accutron tuning fork watch that looks like it should have gone to the moon which is a bit cheaper.

2015 Rolex Submariner SS Black Ceramic
2013 Rolex Yacht Master II SS
Omega Seamaster (James Bond 007 Ltd. Ed) SOLD

Last edited:
I bought my first quality watch in 1992 at the Brunel Clock and Watch fair. An Oysterdate Precision 1963.
Later I added an Air King Date Precision.
Then it was a 1975 Solid 18K Datejust.

They've all since been sold.

Now it's a Raymond Weil Tango, a Maurice Lacroix Pontos and a Grand Carrera Calibre 8.
They all get worn in some sort of rotation - no point leaving them in the case as they are never investments.

Ok had a trawl through this thread but can't see what I'm looking for.

Tell me about Hublot & U-Boat watches need to go shopping this weekend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom