Any Overseas accounting/working experts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 150136
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 150136

Hi, I've worked overseas for a good few years now, but never long enough or needed to be away for long enough, also always been employed by a UK company(subsidiary).
Anyway, I may have the opportunity to be employed by a Scandinavian company and I'm looking at being a non resident in the UK.

I've had a quick look on the gov website and it states you can have 91 days in the UK and you need to work on average 35+hours a week, non of this is a problem.

I would be paying Nowegian taxes.

My question is can I officially live in the UK and not pay UK taxes if I meet this criteria?

I dont want to pay UK and Norwegain taxes.....Norway is actually cheaper!

Ta

Not sure about Norway but I know for Sweden you need some form of tax number issued by the government to be able to get paid through their books (or you did a few years ago). Guess this is much like an NI number or similar.

I'd think you would simply be taxed where you were paid but best to check with an expert.

You need a D number for Norway and Sweden.

It's not as simple as being taxed where your paid, if you don't 'reside' in a country you can only work so many days, and pay your home country taxes.

I know a bit and have read a bit, but don't know enough and not clever enough about it all yet.

The government site kindnof contradicts itself

I would guess you would need to be in Norway at least 183 days a year to be classed as a Norwegian resident and pay tax , then you could only be in UK max 91 days - balance of the year you could be anywhere else in the world ( including Norway )
Not sure where the 35 hrs per week working comes in?

Hope you don’t plan on getting a mortgage.
They are available for ex pats but in shorter supply.

Hi,
The rules regarding whether you are classed as a UK resident for tax purposes are much more complex these days - since they brought in the Statutory Residence Test.
It is now based on “ties” to the UK - in addition to how many days per year you can and do stay in the UK.
This document seems to explain the tax consequences of working for an overseas company - whilst staying in the UK.
Cheers
Steve

Hello,

You seem to want to be a non-residant for tax purposes, but continue to live in the UK. The answer seems rather obvious to me . . .

You are not considered a non-resident simply because you are paid from abroad.

Hello,

You seem to want to be a non-residant for tax purposes, but continue to live in the UK. The answer seems rather obvious to me . . .

You are not considered a non-resident simply because you are paid from abroad.
No, I just don't want to pay 73.8% tax by paying UK and Norwegian taxes.

I don't work in the UK and spend 75%+ of my time outside the UK, and have done for years and only ever paid UK taxes as I'm in different countries, this is a different opportunity.

I need to work out the correct solution.

You won’t pay twice. Under the double taxation agreements you’ll get a credit against uk tax for any foreign tax suffered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom