Any RAID expert here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonyw

Banned
I am looking for solution to migrate a non-RAID to a RAID 1.

I am not interested in creating a RAID 1 afresh using Intel ROM Option Utility, I know how to do that with two disks.

I am talking about using Intel Matrix Storage Manager to migrate a non-RAID to RAID 1 using two new disks.

First problem: after I enabled it for RAID, I cannot boot the existing non-RAID without repeated reset and in order to overcome this to be able to boot, I have to reinstall Vista in another partition.

Start point to All Programs>Intel Matrix Storage Manager>Intel Matrix Storage Manager to launch the Intel® Storage Utility application.

Second problem: I don't see
On the Actions menu, click Create RAID Volume From Existing Hard Drive to launch the Migration Wizard:confused:

I am not entirely what you are trying to do do, but it sounds like you want to use your existing drive and create a mirror (RAID 1) set out of it and another drive. I am not entirely sure that is actuallu possible with Intel Storage Matrix.

Normally speaking, you would need to get two drives set up your RAID 1 set (mirror), initialise it and then copy/migrate your existing partition on to the new RAID 1 set.

Have a look at this link here and the warning at the top of the page:

Enabling AHCI or RAID after installing the operating system is not recommended or supported when a Serial ATA hard drive is the boot drive. Enabling AHCI or RAID after installing the operating system may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot. If you wish to use AHCI or RAID, they should be enabled before installing the operating system.

Hope this helps.... I would also recommend some fast drives if you want to use RAID 1.

Having said that - if you follow this you may be able to achieve your goal...

MIGRATING from 1 disk to two disk RAID

Last edited:
I am not entirely what you are trying to do do, but it sounds like you want to use your existing drive and create a mirror (RAID 1) set out of it and another drive. I am not entirely sure that is actuallu possible with Intel Storage Matrix.

Normally speaking, you would need to get two drives set up your RAID 1 set (mirror), initialise it and then copy/migrate your existing partition on to the new RAID 1 set.

Have a look at this link here and the warning at the top of the page:

Enabling AHCI or RAID after installing the operating system is not recommended or supported when a Serial ATA hard drive is the boot drive. Enabling AHCI or RAID after installing the operating system may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot. If you wish to use AHCI or RAID, they should be enabled before installing the operating system.

Hope this helps.... I would also recommend some fast drives if you want to use RAID 1.

Having said that - if you follow this you may be able to achieve your goal...

MIGRATING from 1 disk to two disk RAID

Thanks, this is what I intended to achieve. It chicken and egg situation. You can't install the operating system with just one drive in RAID, it obvious to install it in non-RAID initially.

There is a misdemeanor that you can migrate from a non-RAID to RAID 1.:doh:

I did managed to migrate it after I reinstalled Vista on the non-RAID original drive on another partition by adding another drive and set the BIOS to RAID. But then it not migration isn't it or is the problem something to do with SATA disk? What if the original non-RAID disk is PATA, will the migration be successful without the BSOD on booting up?

What is the root cause of the BSOD anyway and if this a Microsoft operating system limitation?

Didn't I saw an advert about Intel how smart their employees are? I call this damn stupid and illogical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom