Any RC owners? Cars/trucks/other RC vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
Haven't seen many threads about it all so I thought I'd ask, also wouldn't mind some recommendations

Purchased for my sons birthday last week an FTX Siege, had battery problems and a bent rear inner lower suspension pin so far but so good! Plenty of spare parts available

It's had me looking at cars all week for myself (typical) back in my day I had a Tamiya Peugeot 406 touring car, the one you built from scratch and sprayed. I don't remember battery charging being a PITA back then

Since his birthday I invested in a genuine Skyrc B6AC charger, it's brilliant

Looking at stuff for myself, I'm thinking a brushless 4wd setup, under £300 RTR. Ideally Lipo ready (Will be first experience with Lipo)

Have narrowed it down to the following:

Absima AMT2.4BL (looks badass)
HPI Blitz short course truck
HPI E-Firestorm Flux (2WD wildcard)
HPI Jumpshot MT Fusion

Mainly looking for something somewhat waterproof, fast, good parts support. Decent components on it already. I have a thing about looks, there's probably better cars out there but I have to like the look of the shell

Those two makes I've seen are popular, although there is also Traxxas. Anybody had any experience with any other good males? Team Associated? Willing to look at other brands

Nothing competitive yet, more somewhere we can take both cars and tag them into the ground, so country parks, gravel car parks with some jumps etc

Other RC stuff I'm interested in, Excavators. I've put a Hobby Engine Premium Label excavator in the shopping basket for now, I know unless I'm talking four figures I'm not getting anything amazing with hydraulic rams for now, they can get so expensive and I'm not eating into the C63 fund any more with these hobbies!

RC helis I'm still interested in but don't think I'll buy an new one yet, I had an Esky Honey Bee King 2 and god knows where that has gone after moving house

Post your pics :)

I used to have Nitro RC when brushless DC was getting popular and guys with them would regularly come sprinting quietly past my finely tuned, screaming Nitro car. You had a better sensation of speed with the nitro because of the engine noise, but I'd not touch nitro again, even cheaper brushless set ups are just so powerful and less trouble. (won't talk about lipo battery care, you're not daft).

You'll get used to going out and coming home with a parts list to buy, so find one of the many one man band part suppliers on eBay. They usually specialize in one manufacturer, or even one model. You'll get parts from them much cheaper. I used to just call the guy eventually and tell him which bits I'd snapped and he'd send me the parts 1st class. It's a fun hobby if you've got spare parts and are happy with a monthly cost for spares.

I always wanted is a HPI Baja 5B. It's a 5th scale buggy, massive, they use 26 to 50cc engines and if you have a big area of land, beach or sand dunes, they're epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AANPa58U1h0

The modelsportuk shop and forum are both brilliant. Shop is competitive and the forum has a wealth of knowledge from hobbyists.

Modelzone thankfully went out of business, that was a big high street retailer, but was 10x the price for anything there and it was all unheard of brands and own brands they'd buy cheap, didn't have much HPI, Tamiya, Hobao etc. I still have my Hobao Hyper 7, I'll convert it to brushless at some point... It's a solid platform.

I have got a hip Baja 5b SS, ditched the original 26cc and replaced it with an O'Neil Brothers Racing 30.5cc, decent bearings and have gradually replaced the weak OE parts with upgraded components as they have broken, some alloy bits from TR and some aftermarket plastic bits. Just gets used for bashing over the local fields/park. It has a predator pipe as well. Is extremely loud and massively unsocial! I love it:)

I run an Armortek 1 6th scale tank mine is a Panzer 1V Ausf H/J. This is an old photo of it, I now have three Churchill animatronic figures on it. It's about 3feet log and 2feet wide has 24 volt motors that can pull a car weighs about 150 kilos as its all metal. It has proportional smoke I use paraffin and Castrol R for a truly wonderful smell. It's very loud with a proper sound card for all the sounds, recoil on the main gun plus flash and all sorts of movements on the turret etc.
DSC00192.jpg

Last edited:
I went through a phase where I bought a lot of the Bitchar-G cars, but I've never really got in to the bigger ones... but I do periodically look at them.

I think I'm probably too old to start a serious RC habit now.

BIRMA said:
I run an Armortek 1 6th scale tank mine is a Panzer 1V Ausf H/J. This is an old photo of it, I now have three Churchill animatronic figures on it. It's about 3feet log and 2feet wide has 24 volt motors that can pull a car weighs about 150 kilos as its all metal. It has proportional smoke I use paraffin and Castrol R for a truly wonderful smell. It's very loud with a proper sound card for all the sounds, recoil on the main gun plus flashand

Love this. It's brilliant. May I ask how much?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Love this. It's brilliant. May I ask how much?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

They are very hard to get hold of but you pay anything from £5K -£10k for them depending on spec. At the moment there is a very nice Churchill tank for sale for £6K it's been on sale for a while as people prefer the older WW2 tanks.
They are a real work of art and truly authentic miniatures of the real thing they are recognised by the Tank museum at Bovington where us owners get invited on a regular basis to exhibit them.

Thought I might just take some updated photos, this is my take on the Operation Cobra that took place in France towards the end of the war so this is the theme I set for the tank.
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Does my RC qualify? ;)

whitenemesis-albums-lexus-rc300h-radically-different-picture10287-looks-fast-just-standing-still.jpg

It would depend what your going to do with it,

For me it would be the Short course truck, I used to run a Losi sc truck and I loved it worst thing I ever did was sell it.

I used to race 1/10 buggies and drift cars, still got the drifter and these

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Just to correct my description it's not a Churchill it's a Centurian the later British tank that's for sale, it's an age thing with me.

Last edited:
I had a HPI Savage X and used to run it over crystal palace park, but the council stopped us from doing it as the cars were tearing up the grass.

Was an awesome machine and super fast. Loved the smell and noise of the nitro cars :thumb:

I chose that as it was rugged enough to run absolutely anywhere! Kept up with the racers in a straight line on the tarmac, and shot over grass without dropping any speed at all.

Would love to get back into r/c cars, but I'd defo go electric now, and that means missing the smell and sound of those crazy nitro engines.

I bought little man 1 for his 5 birthday lol HSP XSTR Electric Radio Controlled Buggy with a LIPO battery and what a difference it makes the car fly's

Those tanks look insane! Do you have any videos of them running?

I think I've decided what I'm going for, have done some more reading up this week

Currently waiting on HPI to restock the E-Firestorm flux. Going to start off with Nimh batteries as I still haven't got my head around Lipo, although I think I'd be fine with them. Won't even bother touching 3s as they're uncrontollable, even 2s they just do wheelies

My son has given his approval of the truck too :eek: Will keep him on the Siege for now, and ease him up on the firestorm

His replacement pins for the rear haven't arrived which I'm not impressed about, he's over this weekend so I'll try and straighten the bent one out tomorrow so he can have a few runs

10th July I think is the earliest the firestorm will be in stock, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas

Those tanks look insane! Do you have any videos of them running?

I think I've decided what I'm going for, have done some more reading up this week

Currently waiting on HPI to restock the E-Firestorm flux. Going to start off with Nimh batteries as I still haven't got my head around Lipo, although I think I'd be fine with them. Won't even bother touching 3s as they're uncrontollable, even 2s they just do wheelies

My son has given his approval of the truck too :eek: Will keep him on the Siege for now, and ease him up on the firestorm

His replacement pins for the rear haven't arrived which I'm not impressed about, he's over this weekend so I'll try and straighten the bent one out tomorrow so he can have a few runs

10th July I think is the earliest the firestorm will be in stock, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas

Here is a video of Erika, the animatronic figures in this video inspired me to obtain similar, little did I know the final cost of them though.
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/kFsQeqqZLAU

Critch said:
It would depend what your going to do with it, For me it would be the Short course truck, I used to run a Losi sc truck and I loved it worst thing I ever did was sell it. I used to race 1/10 buggies and drift cars, still got the drifter and these

Since looking at other cars and also going back to your post, I've become interested in the HPI Blitz Flux. Looks really nice but not in stock, no Traxxas Slash in stock (no brushless, anyway) but I think their body shells look ugly

There's a Maverick Timberwolf in stock but may hold out for the Blitz. Actually there's a Team Associated SC10RS in stock which looks nice. Unsure which would be better

I had a HPI Savage X and used to run it over crystal palace park, but the council stopped us from doing it as the cars were tearing up the grass.

Was an awesome machine and super fast. Loved the smell and noise of the nitro cars :thumb:

I chose that as it was rugged enough to run absolutely anywhere! Kept up with the racers in a straight line on the tarmac, and shot over grass without dropping any speed at all.

Would love to get back into r/c cars, but I'd defo go electric now, and that means missing the smell and sound of those crazy nitro engines.

I used to go there also, again until the council stopped us. After that we had access to a BMX track in Burgess Park for a few years. I had a Hyper 7 .28

I am a beginner myself, I had a nitro HPI Firestorm a few years back, that was so much fun but had to sell it off after I had 2 girls. I do want to get back into it but may consider petrol (like a Baja etc) or electric (one of those super fast 70mph ones), which one is less maintenance and more fun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom