Any RC owners? Cars/trucks/other RC vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ph47mf said:
I am a beginner myself, I had a nitro HPI Firestorm a few years back, that was so much fun but had to sell it off after I had 2 girls. I do want to get back into it but may consider petrol (like a Baja etc) or electric (one of those super fast 70mph ones), which one is less maintenance and more fun?

Probably less maintenance would be electric but, running to that speed if you hit something it's bound to break something substantial

Then there's changing the gears, servos, steering rack, pinions, spurs etc etc (can tell I've done loads of reading up this week, lol)

That's only from what I've read, about running the Blitz on anything higher than a 2s Lipo battery

Firestorm is a headache to read about with so many versions of it :eek:

There is a reason the Maverick is £220 and the Team Associated is more expensive, and the HPI is prob the best over the maverick.

The Maverick is a good "Basher" for messing about with, not too sure on the strength, but they seem popular with the kids so must be strong, not sure on the spare parts available, you will need these at some time.

Team Associated entry level racer, easy to obtain spare parts and very upgradable, not as strong as the other two, lots of spares available.

HPI, seen them raced and bashed, good strong all rounder, and parts are up gradable, tried and tested, loads of spare parts.

And if you get the HPI flux version it's 3s lipo ready, which is insanely fast.

I have had 3 Team Associated cars, and have always looked at the HPI with a keen eye as a good all rounder.

You will not go wrong with either of the last two, both are lipo battery compatible

pm me, and I will explain Lipo batteries and power and run time, if you want more info.

Theses are Good for batteries, Hobbyking"

Since looking at other cars and also going back to your post, I've become interested in the HPI Blitz Flux. Looks really nice but not in stock, no Traxxas Slash in stock (no brushless, anyway) but I think their body shells look ugly

There's a Maverick Timberwolf in stock but may hold out for the Blitz. Actually there's a Team Associated SC10RS in stock which looks nice. Unsure which would be better

Last edited:
Critch said:
There is a reason the Maverick is £220 and the Team Associated is more expensive, and the HPI is prob the best over the maverick. The Maverick is a good "Basher" for messing about with, not too sure on the strength, but they seem popular with the kids so must be strong, not sure on the spare parts available, you will need these at some time. Team Associated entry level racer, easy to obtain spare parts and very upgradable, not as strong as the other two, lots of spares available. HPI, seen them raced and bashed, good strong all rounder, and parts are up gradable, tried and tested, loads of spare parts. And if you get the HPI flux version it's 3s lipo ready, which is insanely fast. I have had 3 Team Associated cars, and have always looked at the HPI with a keen eye as a good all rounder. You will not go wrong with either of the last two, both are lipo battery compatible pm me, and I will explain Lipo batteries and power and run time, if you want more info. Theses are Good for batteries, Hobbyking"

Awesome mate, yes that would be very much appreciated. 2s Lipo on the Blitz does sound appealing the more I read up on it, perhaps use the included Nimh in the Blitz kit for the Firestorm, or give to my son for his Siege

Will PM you closer to stock time when it comes to ordering them :thumb:

I read somewhere whilst electric is more trouble free in general but behind the scenes, keeping the battery healthy can be time consuming - all that charging and discharging etc, is that true?

What's the charging time and runtime of one of those lipos?

petrol is 45 minutes per tank, refill then another 45 minutes :eek:

ph47mf said:
I read somewhere whilst electric is more trouble free in general but behind the scenes, keeping the battery healthy can be time consuming - all that charging and discharging etc, is that true? What's the charging time and runtime of one of those lipos? petrol is 45 minutes per tank, refill then another 45 minutes :eek:

From my limited knowledge, my charger can charge my sons 1800 Nimh battery in an hour (just under) charging it to the first two digits, I.e 1.8amps for that particular battery

My chargers max output is 5amps, so I could charge anything up to a 5000 Nimh battery in under an hour (5000mah- charge at 5amps)

I believe it's the same with Lipo, I've watched tutorial videos of my charger and to balance charge a Lipo it's pretty much the same process, but with Lipo you're selecting the max capacity, the number (2s/3s etc) then how many amps like with the Nimh, with some other inputs for Lipo and press go and it'll be done in an hour

Of course you could always charge say, a 3000mah battery, in half an hour by charging at 6amps... but from what I've read, it is better to do no more than the normal amp setting. I personally do it in halves, so for my sons I charge his Nimh at 0.9 which takes a little over an hour and three quarters most times

Discharging Lipo's I think you can still set it to do it all within an hour? I think the poster above could confirm. Then again that would be a cycle charge, Discharge>Charge to full. To discharge a Lipo you'd set it to the amount you desired and I don't think it'd take that long

With my charger there's also storage charging, where it'll discharge to a select amount for when you're not going to be using them for a while, but most chargers above the £50 mark can do all that

Some guys that race battery cars I'm sure will be charging amazingly fast between heats during a day's racing. I think the consensus is you'll get more performance or life in the long run out the battery, by charging them at the normal/half rate as opposed to more

Higher capacity of battery you'll get a longer run time, I know some will last 45mins and longer. A few of them in the boot you'll be set for the day

Again, that could be confirmed by someone who knows about this stuff. If any of that is correct then I've learned something at least, haha

If anyone is interested in the particular charger, it's from Amazon and is a genuine one (Has SkyRC logo on the front, security scratch off on the rear) delivered for that price you can't go wrong :thumb:

HOBBYTIGER SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Digital Li-po NiMH NiCd 3S RC Battery Balance Charger + 4 Plug(2 T Plug + 2 XT60 Plug) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BBJKB8Y/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Here is a video of Erika, the animatronic figures in this video inspired me to obtain similar, little did I know the final cost of them though.
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/kFsQeqqZLAU

Ha - didn't realise you were into Armorteks as well as CL65s! I've got loads of them and they are great fun! I recognize your model -just missed getting it myself from the original builder.

You guys are going to kill my bank account :eek: was up last night looking at RC Tanks

Don't think I'd ever be tempted to part way with Armortek sort of cash for an RC, not even a Tamiya one so I was looking at the Heng Long models, are they a reputable brand? I assume opting for a model with metal parts/track/gears would be better in the long run

Any other brands like Heng Long around that sort of price range? I don't like the look of the Hobby Engine stuff

Ha - didn't realise you were into Armorteks as well as CL65s! I've got loads of them and they are great fun! I recognize your model -just missed getting it myself from the original builder.

Do you ever attend the Bovington meets?

You guys are going to kill my bank account :eek: was up last night looking at RC Tanks

Don't think I'd ever be tempted to part way with Armortek sort of cash for an RC, not even a Tamiya one so I was looking at the Heng Long models, are they a reputable brand? I assume opting for a model with metal parts/track/gears would be better in the long run

Any other brands like Heng Long around that sort of price range? I don't like the look of the Hobby Engine stuff

I've got two Tamiya full spec tanks I'm selling at the moment one King Tiger and one Leopard. Both with full RC controls and batteries

Well it depends on what your aim is for buying a RC car,many fathers want to get their sons into competitions,I would suggest you look at your local RC club,not all the cars you can buy are raced they are just cars to be run up and down the driveway or garden,there is a whole big racing scene out there,look at the Southend Radio Control Car Club, it maybe miles from you but it will give you some idea,there is a indoor season and of course in the summer a outdoor one,these cars need setting up like a F1 car,races take place all over the country,have a look online for some of the races that have taken place at Deanes School Essex fast and furious.

Heng Long have improved considerably over the years and are really good value if you want 1/16 scale stuff. Many upgrades available too. Tamiya are somewhat better . There are other manufacturers like TORRO and MATORRO who do the same. Have a look at forums RC Tank Warfare , UK Tank Club, RC Tank Regiment and others - there's all the info you need on these sites.

IMG_0438.jpg

Here is the 1/16th scale Tamiya King Tiger I have for sale its been nicely painted, has sound and recoil and metal tracks plus new battery and a new handheld remote control unit. £450 and thats a good price.

Last edited:
BIRMA said:
Here is the 1/16th scale Tamiya King Tiger I have for sale its been nicely painted, has sound and recoil and metal tracks plus new battery and a new handheld remote control unit. £450 and thats a good price.

That looks a right beast, I looked them up on YouTube that sounds a great deal. Think I need to get my head around cars first before I move up to the technicality of a tank! Have you seen the 3D printed tank that RC Sparks reviewed what do you think? ~ https://youtu.be/CXQbqNPCIIY

Bit of an update from me, I was growing increasingly impatient waiting for HPI to restock, so I hunted far and low earlier this week, and found one in stock. I actually found both cars in stock from a number of overseas shops, one from the UK...one in particular though to check out: Tamico.de < prices there are amazingly cheap

So anyway, got myself a Blitz Flux. It looks huge compared to my sons Siege, although the same scale. Detail on the body is so nice, but I'm eyeing up one of the Proline flotek fusion bodies already, at $79 :eek:

Only thing I could say is bad about the truck is the steering, it's sloppy and loose. I've had the car for 24hrs but not given it a proper run yet, had the front end off and tightened up the servo saver which has for the time being helped with looseness

One other thing that's happening though, is the 2nd link after the servo horn keeps snagging on the servo following a sharp left turn. Unless I cut into the servo I can't see this being helped

I plan to get the aluminium steering rack upgrade and a decent servo, not sure which servo to get though as I haven't a clue about that. I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I take it out properly.

I went for 2x 2s batteries, one hard cased 5000mah and a regular soft 4000mah which came with the car. The first pack I put into it ran out so fast... I realised I had a 2000mah max cut-off set on the charger after charging the boys 1800 Nimhs :doh: I also treated him to three 5000mah nimhs so he gets a longer time on his car. I think our next project for his is to convert to brushless and a better esc/motor combo. I also got an Overlander RC6 in the deal so we have a charger each

The transmitter for my Blitz I'm not a fan of, because of how easy it is to knock the trim knobs. I think a Tx with a screen and digital adjustment would be better

Roughly 2 weeks till they restock the E Firestom Flux so we'll have another to play with, also handy if my dad wants to come with us too so we'll have a car easy, as he's took quite an interest in it this week

It's funny how after you get the car after a long time out the hobby, that you start kicking yourself for not buying other things. It took me four hours tonight to dial the camber and toe settings to my preferences, strip down the front end and rebuild the steering, and then sort sons car out too... not to mention programming everything last night

Items I've specifically added to my modelsport shopping basket, but removed shortly after thinking 'I won't need that' - a rotating car stand, proper set of tools with magnetic tips, camber and toe gauges, a flexible light source, parts box and bag, magnetic tray < all things I wish I had earlier!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom