Any recommendations for w211/w219 55 AMG break pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

szucchet

Car
W219 CLS 55 AMG
Hey guys! Hope all is well, this might have been asked before but Wanted to check with regards to owner experience on using OEM break pads vs aftermarket ones on the CLS 55 AMG?

Just got my first pad warning so looking to get them replaced in a few weeks, got a quote from MB which isnt too bad but wanted to see if there was better performance options that didn’t squeal!

Kind Regards,

Simone

I fitted Brembo front pads from ECP to my E55 when they needed replacing which were cheaper than OEM Pagid pads. Brembo were a good pad that bites well but a little noisy until bedded in ( a couple of hundred miles).
The biggest problem with most pads is brake dust, so EBC Redstuff or any other ceramic pad may suit you better.

I have fitted Brembo brake pads before and they warped my discs within a couple hundred miles. I'll stick with OEM in future.

I reckon these days, the condition of the calipers is probably more relevant to performance than the pads themselves, most are badly corroded after ~ 15 years and the pads don’t move freely, especially on the inside of the disc.

In other words, check the calipers carefully. Even with OE pads, the pads can be stuck and lead to poor brake performance.

Anyone recommend someone good for reconditioning the calipers.

Also, which dealership is the cheapest for parts, or they all the same.

I'm definitely staying OE

My personal favourite is MB Edinburgh - offer excellent prices and next day delivery (depending on stock etc.)

Bigg Red have a good name for reconditioning calipers.

I fitted Akebono pads on my E55 wagon. They are fantastic and create far less brake dust. When I got mine I couldn't find a UK supplier so ordered through amazon shipped from US. Came to approx £300 for full set. I did fair bit of research and they were highly recommended on the US forums.

Akebono EUR984 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set
Akebono EUR983 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set

I did a diy rebuild of all 8 calipers (on both cars) in the last year or so , I used both Big Red and “Brakes International“ If memory serves . At the same time as fitting Brembo discs and pads all round

Thanks to everyone for their posts! As its my first brake job I think I will go with some of the guidance here and go with the OEM pads first, also interested in EBC and Akebono but will look into these when the next set need replacing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom