Any recommendations to reduce brake dust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw a hotrod on ebay that had the rear brakes next to the diff, so there was never any dust on the rear wheels, he had something similar at the front so the wheels themselves were always clean, the brakes were nowhere near them :)

Some of you may be amused that the hotrod (ford pop?) was painted 744 brilliantsilver.

Shude said:
I saw a hotrod on ebay that had the rear brakes next to the diff, so there was never any dust on the rear wheels, he had something similar at the front so the wheels themselves were always clean, the brakes were nowhere near them :)

Some of you may be amused that the hotrod (ford pop?) was painted 744 brilliantsilver.

Jags used to (and may still have for all I know) have inboard rear discs, in order to reduce unsprung weight. Made it a buit difficult to get at the pads, but the owners didn't worry too much about that.

nickmann said:
Jags used to (and may still have for all I know) have inboard rear discs, in order to reduce unsprung weight. Made it a buit difficult to get at the pads, but the owners didn't worry too much about that.

Many many hot rods were based around Jag rear axle's hence the inboard discs. Good idea until you come to try and change the pads!

Alfa Romeo Alfettas from the late 70s/early 80s had inboard rear discs too ...

nickmann said:

I would not be keen on the idea of "brake/wheel" covers myself, unless I was a sedate driver of a light car with excellent brakes, who only drove for short journeys in single-figure temperatures :)

If the cooling aspect is totally unaffected, then why are they not fitted to all cars from new? Plus they look awful! :crazy:

And why don't they just make alloys with a completely solid face these days!? :rolleyes:

5/10 minutes once a week or two should be more than acceptable for most people to go around with a bucket of warm soapy water. Perhaps combine it with a quick visual check of the wheel/tyre condition, and tyre pressure? ;)

And if you don't like looking after your car, then either don't bother, or use the money saved from buying and having fitted the "brake covers" and have them washed at your local Tescos or whatever!

Just IMHO of course! :)

Cheers,

Will

C240Sport97 said:
Alfa Romeo Alfettas from the late 70s/early 80s had inboard rear discs too ...

And Citroens of the 50s, 60s and 70s had inboard disks on the front.
This allowed them to use a steering geometory that didn't have any torque steer or brake steer about twenty years or so before most other manufacturers.

two more stuooopid suggestions for lazy people - those that never wax their car (none of whom frequent this forum of course)

A. don't have alloys, have steel wheels with wheel hubs
(which never seem to attract the brake dust - brake dust is under the hub)

B. allow the alloys to fully cover themselves in brake dust forming a 'black graphite' finish and claim it's the new 'in' finish. :)

More practical is get the AMG alloys as already suggested above and AVOID BBS wire style... you'll spend around 30 mins each wheel!

Surely, the route should be low dust pads. Has anyone fitted these? What were the results?
On my previous car (RX7), I fitted EBC green stuf pads but i noticed an increase in noise even under light braking.
I'm wondering wether the red stuf pads are quieter. Anyone know??

Surely, the route should be low dust pads. Has anyone fitted these? What were the results?
On my previous car (RX7), I fitted EBC green stuf pads but i noticed an increase in noise even under light braking.
I'm wondering wether the red stuf pads are quieter. Anyone know??

The Red ones are ceramic and I found them to be good, pads of yesteryear had asbestos in them.

I cant say that I have noticed any difference in the noise in my SL when I went from the original to the green

I use RED pads on my E320 coupe and they are absolutely fine - no noise no lack of initial bite, effective braking and substantially reduced dust (still some dust however).

The Valet chappy was telling me to buy High Performance pads to reduce my brake dust and tell MB not to put the standard ones on...

Anyone had any experience of 'High Performance pads'?

The Valet chappy was telling me to buy High Performance pads to reduce my brake dust and tell MB not to put the standard ones on...

Anyone had any experience of 'High Performance pads'?

Yes thank you EBC black, and never again on a road car. they are too hard just go for the EBC green or red, MB dealer made no comment when in for service with them

I've had EBC greenstuff pads for about 2000 miles or so. They do produce less dust than the originals but, unfortunately, still more than I was hoping for.

The braking efficiency is at least as good as the OEM's though and I haven't noticed any squeal.

I would definitely fit them again.

I've had EBC greenstuff pads for about 2000 miles or so. They do produce less dust than the originals but, unfortunately, still more than I was hoping for.

The braking efficiency is at least as good as the OEM's though and I haven't noticed any squeal.

I would definitely fit them again.

The other big difference is that the dirt washes off with ease with EBC.

I will be putting the RED back onto the V70r in the next couple of weeks I will let you know on the clean issue, my 129 had them.

The person who invents pads that wear into silver coloured dust will make themselves a fortune.

not a good idea but how about not putting your foot on the brake pedal as use the car in front(only ment as humour)..........i am also intrested in the answer to this one... GOOD QUESTION

Just reading through this very old thread has made me chuckle in a few posts, this one alot :D :cool:

Another way to reduce brake dust getting on your wheels is not to brake at all. This action will cause heavy damage to the front end of your car but what the hell, your wheels will remain nice and clean.

Another vote fro EBC greenstuff but put them all round to reduce wear on the ones fitted.
The amount of dust is minimal compared to the OEM pads and it just washes off easily without burning into the lacquer at all as there is no metal in them.

Another positive point is they are kinder to the disks so wear them less, although they do make them nice and shiny as they wear them smoother.

The other big difference is that the dirt washes off with ease with EBC.

I will be putting the RED back onto the V70r in the next couple of weeks I will let you know on the clean issue, my 129 had them.

I thought you found the Red-stuff ones didn't work too well on the V70R, or am I mistaken..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom