Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doo01

Car
CLS63s
Hi. Had this come up. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 56154E1D-ED0C-476B-8FA8-3754D5BACFE6.jpeg
    56154E1D-ED0C-476B-8FA8-3754D5BACFE6.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 17
Yup, put some oil in!

got a similar message on mine when I did an oil check, struck me as strange that oil level must be lower than ideal but no massive rush to sort that - and mine was asking for 2 litres next time I refuelled. Put a litre in there and then and it’s happy now with oil level OK

Well I take it the CLS63 has no dipstick,I would not be happy if I found I had to put oil in between services on that car,those engines are manufactured to a high spec,so we need to know other things like how long have you had the car,when and who did the last service,have you noticed any smoke coming out of the car,how many miles has it done,it might be that a recent service did not put the right amount of oil in maybe.

Haha i meant recommendation for engine oil. Seems to have disappeared after restarting the car. For now.

Well I take it the CLS63 has no dipstick,I would not be happy if I found I had to put oil in between services on that car,those engines are manufactured to a high spec,so we need to know other things like how long have you had the car,when and who did the last service,have you noticed any smoke coming out of the car,how many miles has it done,it might be that a recent service did not put the right amount of oil in maybe.
M157 CLS63?

They can use a little oil and it mentions this in the handbook that comes with the car. If you do a search on this and US MB forums it’s a talked about subject. Some M157 engines can use up to a litre per 1000 miles as an example, some more, some less etc etc

I used 0w-40 Oil in mine. If you do a search on EBay there are some MB Centres selling online. Just make sure it’s the correct one but someone will post a link. In mine as well as the MB supplied oil I also used Petronas 7000 fully synth 0w-40, it was just as good.

Add half of what it is asking, and see if the message goes away.

They can use a little oil and it mentions this in the handbook that comes with the car. If you do a search on this and US MB forums it’s a talked about subject. Some M157 engines can use up to a litre per 1000 miles as an example, some more, some less etc etc

I used 0w-40 Oil in mine. If you do a search on EBay there are some MB Centres selling online. Just make sure it’s the correct one but someone will post a link. In mine as well as the MB supplied oil I also used Petronas 7000 fully synth 0w-40, it was just as good.
Thanks!!!

Spotted these so will pick either of these up. Thanks all! Had no idea this sucker drinks this much oil as well!

Attachments

• 26550D23-696A-4117-8866-4DD8A44E093A.jpeg
    26550D23-696A-4117-8866-4DD8A44E093A.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 10
Spotted these so will pick either of these up. Thanks all! Had no idea this sucker drinks this much oil as well!

Just make sure it has either the MB Spec Sheet 229.5 approval, or a statement that it meets MB229.5.

Just make sure it has either the MB Spec Sheet 229.5 approval, or a statement that it meets MB229.5.
Thanks. Yeah they do.

Attachments

• 66D85190-7AA5-4797-BF61-23FAF446F9EA.jpeg
    66D85190-7AA5-4797-BF61-23FAF446F9EA.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 6
Just out of curiosity, how many miles since it last had a top up

Thanks. Yeah they do.

There are several variants of Mobil1, and not all variants are MB Approved. Check the oil container for manufacturers' approvals before buying.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles since it last had a to
Add half of what it is asking, and see if the message goes away.
Message hasnt come back ever since i restarted the car. Got the oil anyway just in case. I just checked the diptstick and there’s no oil?! Maybe cos the engine was hot? Manual does say wait 30 mins after engine has reached ‘normal temperature’

There are several variants of Mobil1, and not all variants are MB Approved. Check the oil container for manufacturers' approvals before buying.
Understood. I did see 229.5 at the back. Cheers mate

Attachments

• 430E39CD-0016-4F05-8689-3F5FC5865651.jpeg
    430E39CD-0016-4F05-8689-3F5FC5865651.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
Run engine to normal operating temperature, switch off engine, and wait 5 minutes (for the oil to drain (back into the sump).

Remove dipstick, wipe clean, then reinsert until fully seated and remove again. The oil level when hot should be between the Min and the Max marks on the dipstick.

The two M157 engines I’ve owned both used to use a litre of oil in around 4,000 miles, but as @Cyclone1 says, some use more & some use less. Whenever the “add 1 litre” message came up it would invariably be when running on the motorway and it would invariably go off again at the next restart, before popping up again a few hundred miles later.

What the OP doesn’t know for certain is whether the oil was filled to the max on the dipstick when the car was serviced. My suggestion would be to top it up to the max level on the dipstick and note the mileage. Then check again in (say) 1,500 miles and see what the level is.

Very high oil consumption (a litre in 1,000 miles or less) can be indicative of a bent con-rod on these engines, so it’s worth making the effort to check consumption properly.

Run engine to normal operating temperature, switch off engine, and wait 5 minutes (for the oil to drain (back into the sump).

Remove dipstick, wipe clean, then reinsert until fully seated and remove again. The oil level when hot should be between the Min and the Max marks on the dipstick.
So weird. Ran it to 80 degrees. Stopped and waited 5 mins. Pulled dipstick out. Cleaned it. Put it back in. Pulled it out. No oil! Did this 3 times. I’m abit baffled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom