Any recommended body filler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
I've just found a paint blister on my S211 tailgate just under the number plate. On rubbing it down there was rust there so out came the Dremel and got shut of (I hope) the rust. I've applied some Dinitrol RC900 to hopefully cure any remaining rust.
I haven't used filler for decades but will need a spot to bring the paint back to level tomorrow when I paint it. Its an area about the size of my little finger nail and mostly hidden under the number plate but being the fussy b*gger I am, I want it right.

Any suggestions or should I just get, Isopon, Plastic Padding etc?

Cheers

I've just found a paint blister on my S211 tailgate just under the number plate. On rubbing it down there was rust there so out came the Dremel and got shut of (I hope) the rust. I've applied some Dinitrol RC900 to hopefully cure any remaining rust.
I haven't used filler for decades but will need a spot to bring the paint back to level tomorrow when I paint it. Its an area about the size of my little finger nail and mostly hidden under the number plate but being the fussy b*gger I am, I want it right.

Any suggestions or should I just get, Isopon, Plastic Padding etc?

Cheers

Does seem to be a common spot on these cars, was similar on my S211.

Had the entire tailgate resprayed.

I know this isn’t much help sorry, good luck and post some pics :)

Does seem to be a common spot on these cars, was similar on my S211.

Had the entire tailgate resprayed.

I know this isn’t much help sorry, good luck and post some pics :)

I thought about this and decided to not use filler because of the tiny area involved. I applied a couple of coats of basecoat (Obsidian black) and then started to build up some coats of clearcoat up to level. The idea is that when the 'pit' has been filled I can use fine wet and dry to flatten any edges and hopefully with some compound it can be sorted. To be honest its very hard to spot as it is so reasonable success. I'll get a pic or two on when complete.
Thanks for your interest.

As above said DSM10000 - knife putty is the thing, just as long as you have metal and no hole to fill in .
There was no perforation, just surface rust which had lifted the paint. It was at the location of one of the 4 number plate fixings so I think that's relevant. The other 3 fixings ( which are not used in this case ) have no evidence of rust. I'll continue with my current strategy and if unsuccessful I'll switch to knifing putty. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom