Any satellite experts able to advise on system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
Hi all,
Having moved last year, I am looking at updating houses' TV satellite dish/LNB/cables etc & just wondering if the forum has any experts who may be willing to pass on their knowledge, please?

I usually try to get as best as practically possible quality, with in reason.
-How big a satellite dish should I get (living in Norfolk near Cambs border)? Bigger equals stronger signal(?), but above what size does it become irrelevant/silly? How much advantage would an 80cm or 1m dish have over a standard mini dish? What about solid vs mesh? I have a large roof with a shallow central valley, so appearance is not an issue as the dish will be hidden.
-What are good qaulity brands of LNBs?
-Any cable recommendations?
-I understand that when running a cable externally over a roof, it should be shrouded to prevent wear, but what shroud is recommended?
-Any dish equipment supplier recommendations?
-Any book recommendations?

Many thanks for any help/ advice.:)
Matt

when cabling mine, I was advised to use the "best" cable with a foam insulator around the central wire, rather than the honeycomb type insulator.
Also advised that there are "losses" in the signal strength for every m of cable and for long runs consider converting to digital via data cable.
Having said that, I cabled my bungalow with quite long runs using "best" cable and don't have any problems.
I feed to sky box then split output from box, 1st to main tv, 2nd back to centrally placed multi output amp & then distribute to bedrooms & kitchen.

when cabling mine, I was advised to use the "best" cable with a foam insulator around the central wire, rather than the honeycomb type insulator.
Also advised that there are "losses" in the signal strength for every m of cable and for long runs consider converting to digital via data cable.
Having said that, I cabled my bungalow with quite long runs using "best" cable and don't have any problems.
I feed to sky box then split output from box, 1st to main tv, 2nd back to centrally placed multi output amp & then distribute to bedrooms & kitchen.
Yes, I plan to get good quality cable, although there do not appear to be many choices.
Which 'best' cable did you use?
Unfortunately there will be large cable runs as it is a large house, this is why I was wondering about larger dishes with high gain LNBs.

Yes, I plan to get good quality cable, although there do not appear to be many choices.
Unfortunately there will be large cable runs as it is a large house, this is why I was wondering about larger dishes with high gain LNBs.

I have a 78cm dish which works fine and I'm a bit further North than you. Depends on what you mean by large cable runs though, and how many.

WF100 cable is probably one of the best.

What type of system are you getting? Sky+?

Initially will be using freesat (humax) hdr boxes. I may look into sky freeview

I have a 78cm dish which works fine and I'm a bit further North than you. Depends on what you mean by large cable runs though, and how many.

WF100 cable is probably one of the best.

I thought WF100 was the way to go, but also wondering about using twin cables to reduce the mess.
Cable runs should not be more than 20m(less for certain rooms) hopefully...
Likely to want to route to 3-4 rooms initially, although the kitchen will have a standard (digital) aerial for digital freeview for now.
Guess I should go for an octo LNB. Will have to look into brands.

Last edited:

Can't find the invoice at the moment but WF100 rings a bell

For recent combined Sat / DAB / Terrestrial installations we have completed recently we have used both CT100 and RG6 co-ax.

Personally i have just installed a combined system in my brothers house and used CT100.

If you plan to keep cost down use RG6 if not CT100.

Regarding the "shotgun" cable you can get both the above in this type.

What are the full details of your install?

Ref LNB's, i bought an octo - haven't got a clue what brand, got it off e-bay and seems to work fine.

What are the full details of your install?
Hi Wully,
At present, little has been finalised....

I have;
-projector & 80"screen in main film room- tuner tba
-42" tv for drawing room with humax freesat hdr
-26" for kitchen- terrestrial digital freeview

-32" planned for master bedroom

I have been looking into it & I am veering towards:
quattro LNB on an 80-100cm dish with 4-way coax cable to a 4->8 switcher & then WF100 twin core to at least 3 rooms, possibly 4 or 5 (would then need bigger switcher if 5)
Plus will stick in a DAB aerial
Grober's link seems like a good un so will probably use them- cost £300-500 not including receivers/sets, depending on final spec.

Not sure about:
Is CT100 better than WF100 & where do you get it from?
Should I get a sky dish & quattro & 2 dish switcher in addition for a 2 dish set up?
Will sky give me anything significant in addition to freesat- I am unlikely to take out a sky sub!

Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Will sky give me anything significant in addition to freesat- I am unlikely to take out a sky sub!

See here for channels on free sat from sky.
If you already have a sky box, they will sell you a free sat card - it used to be £20 or £25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom