any share traders here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CFD's just seem like far too much risk. Why do it if you can't afford it. In my view you are much better off just buying the underlying share. You know exactly where you stand then.

Also CFD's are much better suited to short term trades because of commission charges.

With CFD's you do have the added advantage of being able to short sell.

Another alternative is spread betting. Free of capital gains as it is classed as gambling although this is a leveraged product and works in much the same way as a CFD.
Can be useful for doing a bit of range trading. This is also only really suited to shorter term trades as the Bid - Ask spreads get much wider the longer the period of time.

I initially traded with Barclays but now using TD a lot more as they don't charge and ISA fee and they have better rates for international trades.

Not wanting to hijack but where would someone who knows nothing about stocks and investing (that would be me) go to find out the basics, get an online trading account set up and understand what the hell you lot are talking about!

It's somthing ive wanted to try for a while, some pointers to help find my feet would be good. Also what kind of bankroll would i need to get started, somthing like £2-3K ? i dont need to make an income just a few £££ on the side sort of thing.

ta
e

I use Hargreaves Lansdown for my online trading. It was easy enough for a novice such as me to set up an account and trade whether through my ISA, Pension or Shares account.

I used moneysupermarket to help me compare online trading accounts.

Compare over 100 share dealing accounts | moneysupermarket UK

And, went for Halifax in the end. Easy to use and competitive commission. But not very intuitive layout on the website and market data not great.

I get some market data from Financial Times, and google alerts.

Ewans

The Naked Trader by Robbie Burns is a good read. Very simple to understand informative and easy reading.

Share trading for dummies - Useful - Allows comparison to see what is said in the naked trader. Looks at some things in more detail. Better indexing and easier to skip through chapters than with the Naked trader.

Another good book I read the other week was Million Dollar Traders by Lex Van Dam. There was a TV series in 2009 I believe.

To All :

What trading techniques do people use?

Are you value investers? Do you invest soly on fundamental or technical analysis?

Do you combine the two?

I currently have:

AST
BPC
WET
SLV
MNR
KDD
IOF
RKH
RED
PXS
PYC

WET are a make or break at the moment - if the funding decision is made they could fly...............:rock:. If funding gets pulled they could sink....:doh:

I have a wedge of Pru at the moment and not overly happy about the pending RI. At the 11 for 2 offer it's practically asking to double my investment - so trying to work out should I take it up, sell the rights or tailswallow it. Or just get out......hmmm

Bought and sold lloy in the last few weeks and made a profit :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom