Any Skyline owners on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottydee

Car
2015 W204 coupe, 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 1984 Honda V65 Magna
I'm sure I'm not alone in liking Skyline GTRs (R33,34,35) Ultimately I'd love to own one and have even considered downsizing my everyday car considerably so that I can have a GTR for a toy!

I'm not as flush as some on here, so expense is an issue - which pretty much rules out an R34 or R35 and it will be some time before I'm in a position to buy, but there's no harm in doing my homework for when I finally take the plunge?

So any tips on what to look for etc (I realise that it may be hard to find one that hasn't been thrashed/raced/drifted):dk:

Last edited:
I used to have R33 GTRs when the came in to the country. I first went with a fresh import and learnt the hard way that the condition would be unknown and it cost me dearly. (complete engine rebuild)
Next time round i went for an official UK middlehurst car. That was completely standard and the ex press car.
I then slowly chose the mods i want so i knew what had been done etc. It cost more doing it this way as to buying one with it already done but i knew it was safe and hadn't had a hard life.
That being said you will find a lot of enthusiast owned cars with have had the work done already and have been well looked after and serviced.
Join a Gtr forum and see what you can find out. As in a buyers guide and the spec you want the car to be at and be happy with. Stage 1 which was intercooler, remap and full exhaust would net you 400bhp plus and was a very good (and safe on engine) drive. So this to me would be a good starting point.

Im not sure who's who in the skyline/GTR world these days. A lot of people have popped up and made a name for themselves over the years but the only true decent ones from years back were - Abbey motorsport, Rob bell tuning, Torque developments

Any specific questions i will try and help

good luck in your search

Might be worth dropping a pm to our man in Japan (Newera), he has lots of experience in this area.

Probably still a good while off yet (toys always take a back seat!) but I'll bear it in mind!

I've been a skyline owner most of my adult life, in fact I sold my gtr this weekend just gone to find my merc purchase. Look for rust on strut tops this is very common and a costly fix, underneath as they were imported without being under sealed so many suffer from rot underneath. Leaks in the boot from dried/cracked seam sealer. And engine misfires. Most common fix is a plug change and update the coils at about £400

Wheeler Dealers did a mid-90s Skyline ... fixed the rust on one of the front strut mounts and fitted a bigger intercooler IIRC.

Wheeler Dealers did a mid-90s Skyline ... fixed the rust on one of the front strut mounts and fitted a bigger intercooler IIRC.

Yeah I saw that recently on Quest.

I wondered why he was welding in new plates round the struts at first as I missed the first bit but then became clear.

That was a much bigger intercooler that went in.

I love the R35. Whilst I will never want one, because by the time they are at a price I am happy to spend, maintenance could may well see me out in a cardboard box.

Warranties at Litchfield for 6 years or more are £2k per year!

I am not brave enough to run one without.

Graham that works for me has a R32.

I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom