Any smokers on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As others have suggested, I would steer well clear of vaping.

We know what 30, 40 and 50 years of cigarette smoking does to someone but it will be a long time before we have a similar picture of the long-term effects of vaping. In the meantime, tobacco companies have been expanding their business into this area and are promoting it as a "healthy" alternative although not everyone is falling for it.

The US are usually the leaders in such matters and earlier this year Walmart announced that they would no longer be selling vaping products whilst seven states have already banned their sale and more will certainly follow.

Time will tell but to me vaping looks like a health scandal waiting to explode in years to come.

Dan, no advice. However I stopped 45 years ago but was never a heavy smoker and so it was easy , my wife however is still a smoker after 45 years , less than 10 a day but keeps saying she wants to stop . She did manage it for 3 years using hypnosis but unfortunately started again when I got Prostate Cancer about 2 years ago . I am cured but she is still smoking , tried vaping but back on cigs, no point in me pushing her to stop . However as many have said its both a physical addiction and a mental state of mind that needs to be overcome, seems from what you have said you are highly motivated to stop so hopefully your doctor will be able to help you find the best route to stopping , good luck tomorrow and for your future progress towards kicking the habit

Sorry to hear the news about your wife D.Dan and hope all goes well for you guys.
Ive been smoking 20+ years, quit and started many a time. Very recently I have cut down the habit now to evenings only where I see it as a 'treat', from 10/15 daily now to 2/3 and possibly a small J if its the weekend.

Thanks for posting this it brings home the reality of the consequences reading yours and others posts. I genuinely dont want to smoke tonight. Really going to make a stronger effort to stop the tobacco completely.
Mind over body is the key.

I know kids who have never smoked tobacco smoking ECigs, its the sweet fruity flavours they buzz of, seems they are full of E flavourings which can be addictive?

Dan, no advice. However I stopped 45 years ago but was never a heavy smoker and so it was easy , my wife however is still a smoker after 45 years , less than 10 a day but keeps saying she wants to stop . She did manage it for 3 years using hypnosis but unfortunately started again when I got Prostate Cancer about 2 years ago . I am cured but she is still smoking , tried vaping but back on cigs, no point in me pushing her to stop . However as many have said its both a physical addiction and a mental state of mind that needs to be overcome, seems from what you have said you are highly motivated to stop so hopefully your doctor will be able to help you find the best route to stopping , good luck tomorrow and for your future progress towards kicking the habit
Thankyou

Sorry to hear about your Wife, Dan. I hope that it all works out OK for her ( and you ) As an ex 40/day, and God know's how many over the weekends having a few beer's smoking. I gave them up. There were no Vapes, Patches. or turn down the nicotine amount gradually gadget's when I did it. Cold turkey all the way, and you know something, it's not easy, but its still the best and quickest way. I bought a large bag of "Gob Stoppers" ( if anyone remembers them?? They were large hard boiled sweet's) and every time I felt the urge to have cigarette, I popped a sweet into my mouth instead. By the end of the day, my jaws were aching, but I had not smoked. Roll on day's 2,3,4,5,6, and 7. 1st nicotine free week finished, and crack's were starting to appear in the level of body "demand" for nicotine, and less Gobstopper's used. Once the landmark 1st week was done, day's 8,9,10, passed...now the withdrawal symptoms were noticeably less. Day's 11,12,13,and 14... week 2 without smoking day's 15,16,17, Finished with the Gobstopper's..for all practical, purposes, I have stopped smoking. Still occasionally felt the urge to have smoke, usually at the "Danger" times....after a meal, in the pub etc. But outside of that, the addiction has gone completely. So, yes, the first 8-12 days are the worst, but it passes, and before you know it, you will be a non-smoker. And soon you start to feel the benefit's of that, health and finance wise. In Ireland now, it is forbidden to smoke in any public place, and it has been like this for a Nr of year's, but recently I was back in the Balkan's...unrestricted smoking everywhere. Took me a while to get used to it again..... and for sure I don't want to go back to that time again.
Good Luck with your effort's to stop. It can be done, keep up the good work, you wont regret it.

Sorry to hear about your Wife, Dan. I hope that it all works out OK for her ( and you ) As an ex 40/day, and God know's how many over the weekends having a few beer's smoking. I gave them up. There were no Vapes, Patches. or turn down the nicotine amount gradually gadget's when I did it. Cold turkey all the way, and you know something, it's not easy, but its still the best and quickest way. I bought a large bag of "Gob Stoppers" ( if anyone remembers them?? They were large hard boiled sweet's) and every time I felt the urge to have cigarette, I popped a sweet into my mouth instead. By the end of the day, my jaws were aching, but I had not smoked. Roll on day's 2,3,4,5,6, and 7. 1st nicotine free week finished, and crack's were starting to appear in the level of body "demand" for nicotine, and less Gobstopper's used. Once the landmark 1st week was done, day's 8,9,10, passed...now the withdrawal symptoms were noticeably less. Day's 11,12,13,and 14... week 2 without smoking day's 15,16,17, Finished with the Gobstopper's..for all practical, purposes, I have stopped smoking. Still occasionally felt the urge to have smoke, usually at the "Danger" times....after a meal, in the pub etc. But outside of that, the addiction has gone completely. So, yes, the first 8-12 days are the worst, but it passes, and before you know it, you will be a non-smoker. And soon you start to feel the benefit's of that, health and finance wise. In Ireland now, it is forbidden to smoke in any public place, and it has been like this for a Nr of year's, but recently I was back in the Balkan's...unrestricted smoking everywhere. Took me a while to get used to it again..... and for sure I don't want to go back to that time again.
Good Luck with your effort's to stop. It can be done, keep up the good work, you wont regret it.
And thanks also, on a more cheerful not did you have any teeth left after all the gob stoppers haha.

Yes I do indeed I am just a mess at present. I want to give up more than anything but I no from trying to stop 2 years back when I did I was an angry bastard who just wanted to lash out at everybody and I certainly don't want that at the minute with the situation at home. But on the other side of the coin I don't want to be smoking for obvious reasons. Trip to the doctor tomorrow
Dan - perhaps with everything going off at the moment it might just be too much to expect you to quit at the moment. Try cutting down to see if that works in the short term but not to the extent that you turn into Mr.Angry.

As others have suggested, I would steer well clear of vaping.

We know what 30, 40 and 50 years of cigarette smoking does to someone but it will be a long time before we have a similar picture of the long-term effects of vaping. In the meantime, tobacco companies have been expanding their business into this area and are promoting it as a "healthy" alternative although not everyone is falling for it.

The US are usually the leaders in such matters and earlier this year Walmart announced that they would no longer be selling vaping products whilst seven states have already banned their sale and more will certainly follow.

Time will tell but to me vaping looks like a health scandal waiting to explode in years to come.
Yes, there is now a push on against vaping...when you see the tobacco company's getting in on the act, that speak's volume's. If company's like Walmart are banning vaping, for sure they have done their research, and they are already getting out of the way of a class action lawsuit. The bottom line is, the only thing that should go into your lungs is clean fresh air. The fresher and cleaner the better.

A good mate of mine says "if we where made to smoke we would have a chimney on our head" :rolleyes:

Fact is ECigs are an excellent tool to help ween people of smoking and I am sure it has helped thousands upon thousands stop the habit.

The tobacco lobby is powerful - dont fall for there sponsered nonsense against ECigs. So much media hype following the first proven ECig related death in America a few weeks ago like tobacco has never killed anyone?

Dont get me wrong I know ECigs are not safe to use, just if they are used as a tool to help quit it is a winner in my eyes.

Dan - perhaps with everything going off at the moment it might just be too much to expect you to quit at the moment. Try cutting down to see if that works in the short term but not to the extent that you turn into Mr.Angry.
That’s weird about the angry part. Using Champix made me actually NOT want to smoke. Almost as like I’d never smoked.

As the days went on it was simply a case of ‘well I’ve done 4 days now let’s do 5’ etc etc. I went to bed early for a couple of weeks to minimise being awake.

I hope it goes well with the Dr today for you,I was never a heavy smoker and gave up over 30 years ago,one day I just stopped,we all hope your wife has a good outcome of her treatment,you have got some great advice in the posts,I hope you manage to stop.

Why anti social?
For the first few days after quitting, the nerves will be a bit raw, and it will be easy to fly off the handle...for any reason. There has been many case's where the husband has managed to stay away from the ciggi's for 4 or 5 days, only for the Wife to literally throw a packet of cig's at him and say "ENOUGH is ENOUGH......I've had it up to here...smoke a damn cigarette before you drive me to distraction.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:..and i do something I might later on regret.":D:D:D

For the first few days after quitting, the nerves will be a bit raw, and it will be easy to fly off the handle...for any reason. There has been many case's where the husband has managed to stay away from the ciggi's for 4 or 5 days, only for the Wife to literally throw a packet of cig's at him and say "ENOUGH is ENOUGH......I've had it up to here...smoke a damn cigarette before you drive me to distraction.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:..and i do something I might later on regret.":D:D:D
Ha ha! Read what I said earlier.

In truth though having a supportive partner in this is crucial. Giving up was really my wife’s idea but she lasted about a week. All that did was make me even more determined to stay off them and of course it gave me great satisfaction to see her trying to light up a fag in the rain, waste her money, be a social outcast, smell, cough her guts up and get constant grief from our daughter! :):)

Ha ha! Read what I said earlier.

In truth though having a supportive partner in this is crucial. Giving up was really my wife’s idea but she lasted about a week. All that did was make me even more determined to stay off them and of course it gave me great satisfaction to see her trying to light up a fag in the rain, waste her money, be a social outcast, smell, cough her guts up and get constant grief from our daughter! :):)
Been there Darrell...and definitely done that !!! :):):)

I feel sorry for smokers now and laugh at them crowding under a little canopy in the rain in the smoking area.

Isn't it nice when people are kind and supportive? Especially having been in those shoes before :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom