Any smokers on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I vape. I no longer smoke. Read it and weep smokers. Vaping is far and away the easiest route to quitting tobacco.

I would disagree very strongly with your opinion. I'd go so far as to say, rubbish.

The dangers of vaping are not yet fully understood although the report in the Lancet goes someway to confirming that lung damage is a big concern with 37 deaths (this year) directly attributed to vaping in the US. I'd imagine, some years down the road, that e-cigarettes will be considered just as harmful as the real thing. Don't fool yourself. Vaping is a substitute. You still smoke. When you stop breathing in the substitute then you have quit.

As an ex-smoker who just packed up and never smoked again, I'm not being smug, just pointing out your opinion is very flawed.

Anybody who wants to stop smoking, come and meet me in person! I have stage 3 copd and only have 42% lung function. I work in the building trade and do puff and ant a lot. I did give up after 32 years of smoking earlier this year after a bout of flu left me on my hands and knees struggling for breath. But like a d head I started again because of stress.

Oh, and leave the vapes alone!!! Wife is starting with a bad chest because of them.

To get that hit for their addiction vapers will still have to inhale that nicotine which I imagine is what is responsible for the arterial construction and plaque build up. Hence similar cardiac arterial damage. What they shouldn't get is the lung damaging tar and particulates associated in addition with cigarette smoke. Problem with vaping is that while many of the ingredients in the vaping liquid may be benign depending on vaping temperature they may pyrolise to other compounds whose toxicology is unknown?
Construction of electronic cigarettes - Wikipedia

Well the other thing to bear in mind with patches, vaping, gum and so on is that you're not tackling the root cause of nicotine addiction.

I preferred to just go cold turkey. After a few days it leaves your bloodstream and then it's just psychological.

Not for everyone but it worked for me.

I gave up on my 30th birthday, didn’t smoke that many either (less than 10 a day).

What gave me the courage to give up was - one evening stood outside in the pissing down rain - when it dawned on me how ridiculous smoking really is! I was stood, getting wet, actually paying to die early when I had three children who were relying on me now to think about more than myself. So...about two weeks later, I quit by going cold turkey (which lasted about four days) and never touched one since.

I won’t say it’s the best thing I’ve ever done because all I was doing was putting right a wrong.

To the OP, it’s ultimately up to you pal, no-one puts that fag to your lips other than you and if you *really* want to do it - you will, but if you don’t then you won’t and you’ll only have yourself to blame! If you’re competitive then challenge yourself to “win” against the fags, see them as your opponent; that’s how I really pulled through around days 3 and 4 when the going got tough.

Well the other thing to bear in mind with patches, vaping, gum and so on is that you're not tackling the root cause of nicotine addiction.
Does it matter? As long as you give up is the main thing surely.
Everybody has a different way of doing things.

What helped me give up was to realise that smoking as an entirely pointless thing. You only smoke because you have done; it has no positive benefits whatsoever. Regardless of your views on recreational drugs, whether legal or not, they at least have a point – there is a reason for taking them, they affect your frame of mind, how you interact with people, how you feel etc. Smoking satisfies a self-generated craving, nothing more. It’s a bloody stupid, expensive, pointless thing to do – I should know, I smoked for 35 years.

Sorry if the above sounds patronising, but it worked for me. Other things I did was announce to friends, family, work colleagues (and anyone else that would listen) that I was giving up, thus adding the shame of failure to the list of reasons not to restart, and also keeping plastic straws about me to fiddle with in lieu of cigarettes; I found that a great help (ok, so plastic straws are frowned upon now too!).

Have you tried hypnotherapy? A lot of people are very sceptical of the benefits, but it worked for a couple of my friends, one of whom is probably the most sceptical person I know.

I wish your wife well, and both of you good luck in kicking the stupid habit.

Does it matter? As long as you give up is the main thing surely.
Everybody has a different way of doing things.

I was saying "for me". I tried patches two or three times but they didn't work in my case as I was still putting nicotine in my body and still getting cravings.

But each to their own and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom