Any Suggestions except dynamite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcolmsmill

Car
vito
I live in Lancashire, well known for its hot dry climate!

I LIE lancashire is well known for its damp atmosphere most of the time.

I drive a mk1 Vito that is Ravenna in colour, described as "peach" or the day after a bad (good) curry.

Or at least it should be yellow(ish) in colour, actually its a mix of green and black algae (plus some moss) and a smattering of fungus.

If I park for more than a week, it discolours with organic life (everything does here) ..... I've never come across anywhere as bad as it is in this specific locale.

Any ideas what will shift it, unfortunately I have extreme problems with my health and almost everything esp common cleaners and chemicals so tcut etc are out of the question.

Give it good clean with diluted all purpose cleaner available in all supermarkets
Then give a good rinse off and wax/seal,
the time/money you spend is down to you.

Pehaps your health problems are also linked to this particularly damp microclimate you talk of.

White vinegar is supposed to remove green algae stains

Russ

Tried Fenwicks, didn't touch it.

My health isn't due to the climate, its because I was severely poisoned with Phenol and its slowly destroying my nervous system.

Only thing that seemed to work was Turtle Tar and Algae remover, did a great job in small areas -- unfortunately I was confined to a dark air-filtered room for a fortnight after 10mins use (and YES I was wearing protective clothing and carbon filter mask)

I might just resign myself to the finish, at least no-one would try and nick it.

Seeing as you are in Lancashire what say you find some stuff and I come up and clean the Vito for you. You can watch from inside and point to the bits I miss.

That way you get nice clean van, at least for a little while. No charge - Well I am partital to a cuppa and just love Lancashire Crumbly Cheese.

Seeing as you are in Lancashire what say you find some stuff and I come up and clean the Vito for you. You can watch from inside and point to the bits I miss.

That way you get nice clean van, at least for a little while. No charge - Well I am partital to a cuppa and just love Lancashire Crumbly Cheese.

Sounds like an offer you cant refuse:bannana:

Wow don't you just love this forum? At least there are some kind and helpful people still living here. More cheese Gromit? sorry wrong county!
Trapper John you lifted my spirits today and restored my faith in mankind. Lets hope you restore the Vito paint job too, good luck.
Thanks,
Don

For those who don't know Trapperjohn all I can say is that its time you met him. A more helpful person you could not meet. I am honoured to call him a friend. In life you meet many acquaintances, only a few turn out to be friends.

For those who don't know Trapperjohn all I can say is that its time you met him. A more helpful person you could not meet. I am honoured to call him a friend. In life you meet many acquaintances, only a few turn out to be friends.

Couldn't have put it better myself. John is one of lifes "good eggs". :thumb:

MY THANKS for the generosity, but no.

I'm not being ungrateful but when you have sod all and can do even less, trying to find solutions becomes more important than it should be.

I just wondered if anybody had a magic product I haven't tried, I am considering trying this algae remover advertised on qvc or ideal world, spray it on - do nothing - clean as if by miracle (like it would really work)

==========================

I suspect that like me, those of you who live in Lancashire know there's no where else as wonderful......... so says a ****-a-knee whos lived in 15 countries and yorkshire (less said the better)

How about taking it down to your local petrol station that has a foaming/clean water jet wash (i think Total garages have them?) and give that a go first as it's pretty effortless and should get rid of the algae, then give it a hand-wash and wax afterwards if you wish?

300CE - you've obviously never come across the black / green algae / fungus problem.

All a rotary car wash does is remove surface dirt and produce waxed, shiney black / green algae / mould, they don't remove it........ if they did, you'd probably lose the paint as well.

RF065 I'll give it a go, where can you get it?

Now now-there is nothing wrong with Yorkshire!?--ok so i left when i was 5 and moved to sunnier southern counties-still fond of county of birth.
Good luck in finding a solution no pun intended

300CE - you've obviously never come across the black / green algae / fungus problem.

All a rotary car wash does is remove surface dirt and produce waxed, shiney black / green algae / mould, they don't remove it........ if they did, you'd probably lose the paint as well

Man, that must be some serious algae! Also was advising to use a jet wash rather than an actual car wash - I wouldn't take an old banger through them :thumb:

Good luck with it & post up a few pics if you can.

Regular washing is the key to removing living matter, for detergent, even washing up liquid will kill it off.

Take the car to the local hand carwash weekly and it will be sparkling and clean.

Give it good clean with diluted all purpose cleaner available in all supermarkets
Then give a good rinse off and wax/seal,
the time/money you spend is down to you.
You can use it neat if its a real tough job, but where gloves you might loose your finger prints

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom