Any suggestions in Kent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Just put a post on the General section as I have a 2002 C270 CDI auto that I purchased from Vikings in July 2006.

Vikings have been great in dealing with any warranty problems, MOTs etc however, though they were reasinable for the A service in Dec 06, they are quoting over £700 for the B service, due in December!

I have only done 4k miles since then, with the car only totalling 44K miles.

I got a much cheaper quote from the Broadoak Rd MB dealer £350 but they did then say that I may need to add more for any fuel filters needed - oh and if it needs the auto box oil changing, that would be another £200.

Wondering now which to use, or whether to go to an independant.

Regards
Phil

Indie in Medway

I would recommend MERTECH in Chatham. Quoted me £269 for B service extra £60 if plugs needed.Recently fitted new cable from battery to startermotor £47

Hi, new to the forum :)
I use to own a CLK430 which was a superb car but I've got four kids and had to sell up and get something with a few more seats :(

Have just purchased a 2002 ML500 and wondered if anyone knew of anywhere around the Ashford (Kent) area, say within 30/40 miles that were good for servicing, health checks, odd jobs, etc.

On a slightly different topic does anyone know of a really good valet service, again around Ashford (Kent), or even a mobile service?
The ML interior is a little tired, good condition but I don't think it's been cleaned or hoovered in the last year or two. I really want the full works, a thorough service to clean every nook and orifice and get the leather back as close to factory finish, carpets washed/cleaned, etc. etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ray.

Hi, new to the forum :)

Have just purchased a 2002 ML500 and wondered if anyone knew of anywhere around the Ashford (Kent) area, say within 30/40 miles that were good for servicing, health checks, odd jobs, etc.

try Steve .. see other posts on this thread.

Medway Dealer and Brabus both now closed. Had an A service for £130 quote at Mertech in Chatham, had to pay a little more as new rear pads, springs etc fitted plus my engine uses 8 ltrs oil.

Mertech are excellent. I use Mick quite regularly and have always been pleased with them.

Medway (rainham) closed and good riddance to them.

medway autos is no longer. do you want a dealership or a private merc techie working on your car?

Vikings Canterbury

Today, after being nagged by the "Service due" display for the last few days, I decided to to telephone Vikings in Canterbury & get a quote, after seeing Merecedes of Canterbury in Broad Oak Road, Fixed Servicing Prices :

A / B-Class Diesel A service £189.00
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
B Service £299.00
http://www.mercedes-benzofcanterbury.co.uk/

The Service due indicated there was only 23 days left before service, but was saying it required a "D" service. A bit more that the A or B service, thinks I, gulp.

I contacted Vikings & stated that the car, A180 CDi has only got 14,500 miles"on it" & had it's first MOT in January of this year (done at Vikings)

Service reception at Vikings, did a sharp in take of breath & said...well that could be between £250-£485 inclusive of VAT...gulp

She then enquired if I had used them before, I said yes & passed of car details & she said "Ah..look, I'll get a quote tailor made for you & ring you back OK ?"

3/4 hr late comes to telephone call from Vikings & she said, £168.86 including VAT & would we like the car to be picked up from just outside Folkestone? (oh yes the price includes a 15% discount!)
http://www.vikingscanterbury.co.uk/latest_offers.htm:rock::bannana:

I said "No, we'll bring it in & then go into Canterbury, She said that we could use one of their cars or they would give us a lift into Canterbury & pick us up when all is ready.

Now, the car is booked in for the 8th of next month & fingers crossed, nothing major will be found & the price quoted will be what we will pay.

Not bad for these Credit Crunch Times & it will be the First Time that the Car will have had a Service, so all important stamp in the book & etc etc.

Happy Bunny ? You bet!, but will await the paying of the service bill before I start hopping around the place!!

Last edited:
Steve is the only man in Kent.

Steve is the only man in Kent.

While I appreciate your advice and bothering to reply.....if nobody ever tried new places, we would never get anywhere. After all, this Steve must have started out as a newbie at some point in time and with people willing to take a chance on him.
You dont know until you try.
There must be somebody out there on this forum that has used this guy.

While I appreciate your advice and bothering to reply.....if nobody ever tried new places, we would never get anywhere. After all, this Steve must have started out as a newbie at some point in time and with people willing to take a chance on him.
You dont know until you try.
There must be somebody out there on this forum that has used this guy.

Just 5 mins up the road from me Dave but I have not used him before. How do you know he is a one man band?

Cheers,
Steve

Just 5 mins up the road from me Dave but I have not used him before. How do you know he is a one man band?

Cheers,
Steve

Same for me. I live near Orpington Hospital.
I went in there Saturday morning to sound him out.
Asked about whether he did Star diagnostics and air con servicing and what oil he used........and I got all the right answers.
The guy seemed knowledgeable and quite approachable.
He does have a trainee mechanic, but its essentially a one man band.
He checked my air con while I was there and found it to be AOK.
I would prefer to use Prestige near Portsmouth, but to be honest, its a little far. Ollie is a cracking mechanic and 101% excellent.
But I am searching for someone like Ollie, but alot nearer to home. Perhaps I am setting my sights too high. I really dont know. Ollie is a damn tough act to follow.

Same for me. I live near Orpington Hospital.
I went in there Saturday morning to sound him out.
Asked about whether he did Star diagnostics and air con servicing and what oil he used........and I got all the right answers.
The guy seemed knowledgeable and quite approachable.
He does have a trainee mechanic, but its essentially a one man band.
He checked my air con while I was there and found it to be AOK.
I would prefer to use Prestige near Portsmouth, but to be honest, its a little far. Ollie is a cracking mechanic and 101% excellent.
But I am searching for someone like Ollie, but alot nearer to home. Perhaps I am setting my sights too high. I really dont know. Ollie is a damn tough act to follow.

I am the other side of bromley, will keep this info for when I need a local indie. have my own star for diags but I dont like getting dirty lol

And yes, Ollie @ pcs portsmouth does look to be a tough act to follow, his workshop was very impressive

I am the other side of bromley, will keep this info for when I need a local indie. have my own star for diags but I dont like getting dirty lol

And yes, Ollie @ pcs portsmouth does look to be a tough act to follow, his workshop was very impressive

Dont expect the same, large, almost clinically clean workshop as Prestige.
Merctechs premises is far more what you would expect from a small one man operation.
However, he did say he was currently in negotiations to move to larger, better premises in Sidcup. So perhaps its just a matter of time.

No problem :thumb:

Merctech,That would be Andy,he's a great guy.Had my C43 in there when it wouldn'd start,was the fly wheel sensor,sorted it the same day.It's not the biggest of places however he's knowledge of the brand is second to none.He was a technition at mercedes orpington for 20 years before setting out on his own.Cant say enough good things about his service

Class Cars Wingham Canterbury

First time I have stepped outside MB Dealer network for servicing on any of my MB cars and totally delighted with service received today.

2005 E220CDI Saloon, 36000 miles, C service + MOT today by Steve and his boys at Class Cars Wingham. I was fully aware it required air filter, fuel filter, combination filter and replaced auto box fluid and filter. Mobil 1 oil specified, Star machine and all genuine MB parts used.

They found slight leak on auto transmission electrical connector during fluid change and repaired that to save substantial cost in the future if left.

Given an advisory that rear subframe mounts have slight signs of splitting but nothing to worry about at this time. Amazing that pads were also good to next service having never been changed and car covered 36000 miles.

I was delighted with quality of service, personal handover to explain everything, car washed and a pleasant invoice which did not cause my heart to stop !!! A slight increase in quoted cost for service to account for repair to auto box electrical connections problem discovered when changing fluid/filter.

If you live in East Kent, you have a superb alternative to MB setup and their price structures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom