Any sure fire ABC suspension functionality check on 2003 amg 55 Kompressor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jatboy

Car
AMG
Hi

I'm buying a 2003 CL55K and only real concern is the ABC suspension working.

For those who have experience of this functionplease let me know what all checks I can do in person (within reason) to check for any issues?

Its has a new pump a few years ago and struts etc replaced etc. The owner says it can stand for a month with no suspension dropping, he also thinks the colour is Designio when it isn't.

Any help from those who know what and how to check before handing over the readies would be greatly appreciated.

Taking it to a dealer for them to do rodeo check etc isnt an option in this case.

Thank you

Ps. Just realised I could have put this in technical section instead, can't delete however

Last edited:
FWIW it's Airmatic on the E, not ABC.

About all you can do is make sure it moves properly between all of its settings.

IIRC you'll have Raised, Sport & Sport II. Try all three and watch to make sure all the corners raise/lower correctly.

Don't worry of the F & R raise at different speeds - that's normal.

What's important is that all four corners move up and down by the same amount.

The car should raise evenly with ABC.

Raise the car to its highest setting and look for misting of oil on all four struts. Check the oil level in the resevoir and use tissue to see if a small amount is dirty (It should be green, if it has gone brown then it needs flushing).

Cycle the suspension up and down at least 10 times and put the sport setting on, it should raise and lower smoothly and no longer than 10 seconds from lowest to highest.

White/blue warning lights signify a sensor issue, red is a loss of pressure.

Other than this, its pretty much pot luck!

Perfect, thanks I will check these things

London Scottish, the car is a CL55 Kompressor and not an E. It has a ABC sport button and also a separate button for raising & lowering (probably airmatic)

Thanks

London Scottish, the car is a CL55 Kompressor and not an E. It has a ABC sport button and also a separate button for raising & lowering (probably airmatic)

Thanks

no airmatic on the CL, it raises & lowers hydraulicy via the ABC.

check the fluid level, have white kitchen roll paper with you so you can look at the colour of the ABC fluid, should be greenish/clear.

if it’s dirty, get it changed soon after purchase, it’s preventative maintenance to keep it in tip top condition. Change every 2/3 years.

Thanks
Sorry didn't read the post properly. You're ABC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom