Any technical experts on the SL 63 here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
I have read a post on an American forum that has got my interest.
Basically what I would like to to know is are there any technical improvements between the r230 and the r231 models?
I know the obvious as far as engine and bodywork but it's the traction control/braking/suspension all the essential tech differences.

This may help a bit.

Mercedes SL (R231)

As before, the AMG model uses a 7-speed MCT gearbox with AMG Speedshift program. While it is derived from the regular 7G-Tronic, it has the torque converter replaced with a wet multi-plate clutch to enable quicker gearshift and even a launch mode. The company claims 0-60 mph take 4.1 seconds, or three-tenths quicker than the old car. I won't be surprised if some American magazines manage in the high 3-seconds range.

Concerning chassis, the aluminum construction of R231 enables the SL63 to have its kerb weight cut by 125 kg. That should benefit performance as well as agility. Meanwhile, the wider tracks – up 50 mm and 52 mm front and rear respectively – enhance roadholding and cornering stability. Compare with the regular SL, the AMG version has its ABC suspension tuned firmer. The AMG wheels house monster-size brakes, no matter with steel or ceramic discs. It also fitted a different steering rack – a constant-ratio electromechanical steering instead of the variable-ratio unit on lesser models. Obviously, AMG dislikes the steering on the standard car like us. To certain extent, the change is an improvement. Its response to steering angle is more linear, and the level of assistance is more consistent. Nevertheless, it is still far from perfect. Its initial response is still too aggressive to feel intuitive, and it is still devoid of road feel. The steering remains to be the Achilles' heel of the car.

Still, its handling is much improved over SL500. Grip, body control and braking are all superior, allowing the car to attack corners at higher speed yet with more confidence. Understeer is better contained. Should you turn off the ESP and floor down the throttle, the tremendous torque will easily spin the rear wheels and turn the car sideway, revealing the hot-rod side of AMG. Such personality contrasts to the clinical approach of Ferrari California or Porsche 991. Those cars are apparently lighter and more agile. On the big AMG, you can feel more of its mass. It uses electronic suspensions, quick steering, wide tires and big brakes to mask it mass reasonably well, but in the process you lose some sensitivity and transparency that only lighter, better balanced machines can provide. This mean while the SL63 is highly capable in straight line and in fast bends, it is not as enjoyable to attack mountain roads as some rivals.

However, bear in mind that the SL63 is a high-speed luxury GT, it is hard to fault. The power and sound produced by its twin-turbo V8 is just amazing. The MCT transmission is a good compromise between response and refinement. The ride is firmer than that of lesser SLs, but still very comfortable if you leave the ABC in the softest setting. The interior, the roof and wind management are first rate. While Jaguar XKR-S, Maserati MC Stradale and Ferrari California are more fun to drive, none of them are as well rounded as the big Mercedes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'm looking for a more forensic analysis of the differences.
I can see now that the r231 has electromechanical steering assistance rather than plain old hydraulic assistance. Bit more internet trawling me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom